• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Excerpt: powers (merged)

Simon Marks

First Post
As for the half-n-half rule for two energy types, it's irrelevant except in the case of immunities and resistances.

Immunity = 1/2 damage, resistance = -resistance upto maximum of half.

Seems simple to me.

neceros

Adventurer
I'm not too thrilled about a Landscape character sheet. I'll have to test it to see how it turns out.

Might play around and test one of my own. We'll see.

vagabundo

Adventurer
Just Another User said:
I wonder how that works with dominatation. For example, let's say the warlord use Bastion of defense, a power that gives his allies a bonus +1 to all defenses until the end of combat, then one of his allies is dominated. He would still get that bonus?

Quick Guess:

Dominated - No
Charmed - Yes (until he is convinced to attack, then his Green Circle turns Red)

Cirex

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
Any vulnerability means extra damage. (Note that in 4E, this also means "only" taking a fixed amount of extra damage, not +50%). At least that's how I would do it.

Ah, sorry, I made some basic maths mistake. I mixed vulnerabilities and resistances in my mind and not an equal splitting of the damage, like fire thunder being 13/12.

Nothing, forget what I said!

Cirex said:
Ah, sorry, I made some basic maths mistake. I mixed vulnerabilities and resistances in my mind and not an equal splitting of the damage, like fire thunder being 13/12.

Nothing, forget what I said!
I don't know what you're talking about? Did you post something?

;)

Plane Sailing said:
Generally interesting.

One thing that I don't particularly like and will strongly consider house-ruling

I've never liked that approach.

I'd like to consider that when a power is described as more than one type, the damage applies unless the resistance or immunity is available to BOTH damage types.

In the above example I'd like a power that deals 25 fire and thunder damage to do full damage to anyone unless they are resistant to fire AND thunder.

Just a personal quirk, and it might nor work out IRL, but I'm going to consider it.

Cheers

fire AND thunder 25 should do 25 Fire and 25 Thunder.

fire OR thunder should do either 25 fire or 25 thunder... it would have been clearer then...

Wormwood

Adventurer
TwinBahamut said:
It even cleans up the "Pit Fiend blowing up a rival Devil" debate...
Actually, making 'alliance' conditional to consent only exacerbates the Pit Fiend debate (assuming the point of contention was: "would a summoned demon consent to be blown up given a choice in the matter?")

(and for the record, I voted 'who the hell cares, they're NPCs')

/tangent

DandD

First Post
UngeheuerLich said:
fire AND thunder 25 should do 25 Fire and 25 Thunder.
That would be probably too powerful. Also, the idea of mixed elemental effects is probably inspired from Magic: The Gathering, where they put up multi-colored cards. :D
Although, the idea of mixed energy effects isn't one restricted to 4th edition. That already existed in 3rd, with spells that had some divine or unholy properties. The Book of Exalted Deeds or its counterpart came up with attack spells, where one part was an elemental effect, whereas the other half of the damage couldn't be resisted at all, because it was either hell-energy or something more divine. Now, it's just a 4th edition core rules that applies to all energy type attacks, the same as epic tier is now core.

Vempyre

Explorer
Stalker0 said:
There are a few things we can glean from this card, assuming the info is accurate.

It probably is not.

The excerpt mentions these are pictures taken from the playtests. So it is old pictures with probably inaccurate info since rules probably have changed quite a bit since that picture might have been taken. (another reason why I think they shouldn't have shown these pictures)

Here’s a playtest version of what the cards looked like;

Although it doesn't also mean the info on the cards is old, but the probability is high that it is. We will only know if it is confirmed or when we get the books.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads