• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Exclusive Bruce Cordell interview

Zander

Explorer
I met Bruce Cordell at Gen Con UK today. He very kindly answered questions that were posted in another thread on these boards or were e-mailed to me. He saw the thread and warned me ahead of time that some of the questions were too specific. There were also far too many of them. I therefore drastically reduced both the specificity and number of questions. I apologise if I didn't ask your question, or did but not in as much detail as you wanted. Additional questions were put to him by the audience in a Q&A session after the 4E presentation. I have included a few of these as well.

I've posted the questions and answers below. In the case of a verbatim quote, I've used "...." quotation marks or a quote box. Other answers are paraphrases. I've also included my sense motive comments, i.e. my gut feeling about what Bruce meant based on non-verbal cues.

Q: Are the standard 6 ability scores used? Will they range from 3 to 18?
A: Yes, it's a d20 game.

Q: Will there be racial adjustments {to ability scores}?
A: "Potentially"
My sense motive: Yes

Q: Will any races usually considered monster races be available as PC races from the start, such as orcs and goblins?
A: "Potentially"
My sense motive: Yes but not orcs or goblins. Other races.

Q: There have been rumours of tieflings as a regular PC race. Will aasimars also be a PC race in the PHB?
A: "Less chance of that."
My sense motive: No

Q: What about drow?
A: "Possibly but not confirmed."

Q: What's in store for humans? Will they still be the default/vanilla race?
A: Humans will be more "flavourful". There will be mechanical flare to make humans as exciting as any other race.

Q: Will there be gnomes as a PC race in the PHB?
A: "Wait and see."
My sense motive: No

Q: What's the warlord? Is it a new class?
A: "There is a warlord class."

Q: Will fighters & other classes get combat manoeuvres?
A: Every class will have a "power source". Every class will have actions based on powers... "You can customise your fighter in many different ways."

Q: Will the new wizard resemble the 3.5 warlock {given the reduction in Vancian magic}?
A: Wizards will more resemble 3.5 wizards than 3.5 warlocks.

Q: Will wizards and sorcerers merge {as rangers and scouts will}?
A: The wizard and sorcerer will be separate.

Q: Will there be a monk in the PHB?
A: "Answer: murky."

Q: If so, will it be unique among the PHB classes in having an Asian flavour?
A: "Any monks will have an Asian flavour."

Q: Will there be multi-classing?
A: "There will be multi-classing in the game but it will be better."

Q: Will there be prestige classes?
A: "There will be functionality equivalent to that."

Q: How are skills handled?
A: Skills are still in the game. There's a better implementation that's "easier and cleaner".

Q: What about feats?
A: "Feats remain; people like feats... Some 3.5 classes really suffered for not having enough feats."

Q: Will there be saving throws? Will they work the same way?
A: "Saving throws will look more like a new thing."

Q: Will there be new pursuit and evasion rules?
A: They could exist in the future.

Q: What changes are in store for alignment?
A:
In the end, there's still alignment. There will be some changes though. There'll be some tweaks... Even non-gamers know what a 12th level lawful good paladin is.

Q: Generally, what's in the DMG?
A: Like what's in the DMG now... Magic items.

Q: Will there still be XP? How will it work?
A: "We still have XP, very similar to now... It's not an exponential power curve anymore. You go up more smoothly."

Q: How will social interaction be handled?
A: We're playtesting an interaction system. It's just a prototype. "Who knows if it will end up in the book?"

Q: Will there be individual monsters in the MM above level 30?
A: "Possibly, don't know for sure."
My sense motive: Bruce is in favour but it isn't set in stone yet.

Q: Will traditional fantasy tropes be sacrificed for game expediency, such as paladin mounts that appear out of nowhere?
A: "No".

Q: How will psionics work?
A: They will be a "power source" {but not in the PHB}. The PHB power sources will be "arcane", "divine" and "martial".

Q: Will there be a mass combat system for 4E?
A: "In the future, that would be pretty awesome but not at launch."

Q: Will the OGL continue?
A: "The OGL and d20 will be going forward."

Very special thanks to Bruce Cordell for taking the time to answer these questions. He's a star!

Last edited:

Zander

Explorer
Goblyn said:
...wait, how many ranks do you have in sense motive?
Quite a few: BA in Psychology, Master's in Psychology, 3 years of business journalism/management consultancy getting executives to reveal things they really shouldn't. :p

RSKennan

Explorer
To say something positive, I'm absolutely thrilled with just about everything I hear about 4e. I just picked up Star Wars Saga, despite not being much of a Star Wars superfan.

Goblyn

Explorer
Zander said:
Quite a few: BA in Psychology, Master's in Psychology, 3 years of business journalism/management consultancy getting executives to reveal things they really shouldn't. :p

Alright. The 'cool' stands. Really; nice.

Doug McCrae

Legend
Awesome job. Some of the questions revealed new info and provided answers to a couple of current threads on ENWorld - specifically a magic items in PHB idea and will there be feats.

Zander

Explorer
RSKennan said:
Not to be negative, but I really hope he means what he says about pokémounts and other gamist stuff.
When I asked him the question about fantasy tropes and game expediency, he answered unequivocally. I certainly felt reassured. :)

Remove ads