Exclusive Contest! Todd Lockwood draws your character! [NO MORE ENTRIES!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
“Yes, I wish it so.”

The pain was agonizing. Tongues of flame surrounded him, greedily consuming his flesh. His only thought was of pain – unbearable pain like he had never felt before. He knew then that he would die.

He did not die. The flames continued, and he slowly felt himself transformed into something he was not. His extraneous thoughts, like his mortal flesh, began to burn away; he became increasingly indifferent to the world, caring only for fire – and self – and power. As the last of his being drained away, though, he realized that it was the last part of him that was truly himself, and focused on saving this last bit of essence.

No longer was he Írost, son of Natar; Írost is dead. Now he is Narya, spirit of flame.

Narya was an elven wizard, specializing in fire spells. After being taught the basics of magic by his mentor, he left to study the ways of magic on his own, forsaking his family and former connections to pursue true knowledge for perhaps a hundred years.

It was not to be so. He was forced along the path of the adventurer, where he took a small part in events critical to the safety of his country, and indded the world. Having finished, his newfound comrades asked him to continue on with them.

He refused. Taking the rewards he found on the way, he gave them away to the king of a dwarven city he had helped, and left for the destination that had called to him for decades: the elemental plane of Fire.

In his hubris, he sought out the famed City of Brass. No one knows what he said to the efreet, or what words were exchanged in the hissing, bubbling tongue of fire, but a bargain was struck, and when Narya emerged, he was... changed.

Flames burned at his every pore, he felt no pain from heat, and the very touch of water burned him. In time, he learned to control the fire, except for his eyes whose pupils burned like twin flames. He arrayed himself in dark, concealing garments, magically treated to withstand his heat.

He seldom interacted with people before the transformation, but afterward even less. He took on the manner of his element: harsh, abrupt, and never satiated. Those that had once been his closest friends he treated coolly. Every aspect of his mortal existance was subsumed by his new life, save one: compassion for those like he once was.

Never would he admit this. If asked, he would deny it. He was to be hated, feared, and misunderstood, but he would have it no other way.

Game information: Narya is a supreme physical specimen, with 5 stats 15 or above (and Wis 13). He is brilliant, especially with the aid of his headband. This is much of the reason behind his ego...

He has maxed ranks in Intimidate, and 5 ranks in Bluff for the synergy bonus, even though both are cross-class. He has Skill Focus (Intimidate). If my DM allowed other ways to improve skills, he'd have those, too.

Here's my entry. Old Eb's never let me down yet..... :)
--------------------------------------------------
Five foot one, a gaunt 115lbs., Ebenezer Strathmore (Eb to his
Friends) is a most unlikely candidate for an adventurer, perhaps
even the antithesis.

Eb spent most of his life learning the many languages of the Iron
Kingdoms and working as a bookbinder, gemcutter, and a man of learning. His information was always given for free, a trait that earned him many adventuring friends, who as is typical of the lot, are now mostly deceased.

Ebenezer had his first real life crisis at the age of 35 when his
sorcerous powers awoke. Long ago, before he moved to Corvis from the swamps, his "crazy" uncle Tolber, a Sorceror of significant power, was forcibly removed by a large group of wizards to "safer quarters." The Wizards knew his madness was incurable, even with divine powers, and it was believed to be caused by his dragon's heritage.

Ebenezer was terrified of losing his vast knowledge to the insanity of "wild" magic, as he called it, and set out to master his abilities and limit their scope. The next twenty years of his life were an almost continual disappointment as he failed to master even the simplest of wizardry's magics. Even with his prodigious memory and his quick mind, organized magic slipped through his brain until a month ago. After spending an entire week meditating and fasting, Ebenezer swore to Morrow, that if he would grant him this one request, he would dedicate his life to the adventurous pursuit of good. Suddenly all of his fruitless training coalesced within his mind and almost a half score of spells made themselves apparent to him.

A man of his word, Ebenezer sold all his possessions, took the
money earned, purchased his current adventuring gear, and went
in pursuit of adventure. Cutting ties with those whom he knew, he is starting out afresh.

Physical description: Small, thin frame, sporting trimmed short
gray hair with brown eyes. A little fastidious in cleanliness. He's a little stooped in the shoulders, not atypical of a man of his age (55) and poor physical condition. He's very unsure of his adventurous choice, but knows one doesn't make false promises to the gods. He fully expects to die fairly soon in a violent and unpleasant way. At least he'll join his dead wife free of any guilt.

joe b.

Gossamerblade

First Post
Character submission (What a cool thing to do!)

Lady Arkanna deValarian: 16th level human sorceress

18 yrs old, 5'5" tall, 115 lbs., shadow-black hair, royal-blue eyes (tilted slightly, like a cat's), aristocratic-looking feature. Very beautiful and charismatic.

Arkanna met her current companians when they released her from a crystal, where she had been trapped for about 900 years. She had been a lesser noble of one of the (then) great ruling houses of the land, until she stumbled upon a wizard who didn't want to be stumbled upon (thus the crystal prison).

She found, when released, that her house no longer existed, having been invaded and absorbed (along with other houses) by the one remaining ruling house. In her travels, she is constantly looking for remnants of the House Valarian, artifacts, blood-ties (even remote ones), anything to help her connect to her family. She has recently been granted land, a keep, and a title, and she intends to re-establish House Valarian in this time.

Arkanna usually wears in simple, elegant silk dresses, although she's been known to go topless to show off her "nipple rings of natural armor".

Her preferred weapon, after spells, is her longbow. Usually. But she's easily frustrated, and her lowest stat is wisdom.

(Sneaking up on an enemy lookout post, she spots a scout in a treetop.

A: I shoot him with my bow. <rolls>
DM: Miss. He's looking in your direction now.
A: Oh, crap! <casts> Lightning bolt! <rolls>
DM: He's toast. The tree's toast. And the entire camp knows you're here now. Initiative time.
Other PCs: <groan> Thanks Arkanna. So much for sneaking up on them. )

After a near-miss on a recent adventure, Arkanna's hair turned white. Soon after, while raiding a magical library, the party came across a "Tome of Hair-Color". She eagerly claimed it, and, sure enough, it made her hair black again (although she could have chosen a different color). But it had an interesting side effect: now her hair is of the shadow realm. And it's always moving, as if blown by a playful breeze.

JohnClark

First Post
This is a great thing Kai, thank you and Todd!

My character is named Mardak ShortCloak, male gnome wiz6/Elemental Savant (air) 10

Physical Description: Mardak stands 3 feet tall and weighs 40 pounds. He has a slightly bluish hue on both his skin and hair (both are mostly brown however) and eyes that are pure white (no pupils or iris'). He is stronger than the average gnome and has a somewhat toned figure, but this is usually covered by his white robe of the archmagi. He carries a rod of thunder and lightning with him at all times and is also never without Breezie, his small air elemental familiar. He has a distinguishing mark in the form of a tatoo of a small red fish on his neck. :)

History: Mardak was born 135 years ago on Lantan. His mother was a cleric of Gond, while his father was a wizard who specialized in elemental summoning. Mardak became absolutely enamored with elemental wizardry and with air and electricity in particular after encounter a djinn that his father had called. After his 40th birthday he moved to Silverymoon to begin his studies of the arcane. On becoming a full fledged wizard he joined a group of his classmates who had heard that great treasure was available in an abandon dwarven mine near the spine of the world. While there he and his classmates were able to scare away a group of orcs using nothing but their illusion spells to create the appreance of an approaching dwarven company. On returning from that adventure he got the tatoo of a red herring to make sure that he always remembers that things may not be what they seem. The adventuring life is behind him now though, and he teaches at the college in Silverymoon where he also has a home and wife, Janara Shortcloak with a son on the way.

Thanks again for this, good luck to everyone.

Last edited:

Arravis

First Post
I’ve been playing D&D for over 20 years now and I can honestly say, out of all the characters that I’ve had in that time, Sharantyr Al’shably has been the one closest to my heart. He has a level of emotional subtlety and complexity that at times seems to have a life of it’s own. I know now what sculptor's mean, when they say they are "freeing" the form from the stone, it's the same feeling I get every Saturday during our games. I’ve been playing Sharantyr in a campaign, that I also co-DM at, since 3rd edition came out and even though it has now become an epic-campaign, it shows no signs of slowing. I would be deeply honored and endlessly thankful for your generosity if you were to do an interpretation and representation of him. Thanks you Kailord for organizing this and thank you very much Mr. Lockwood for your generosity and kindness.

--Edit 4/7-- Damn Kailord... I just re-read the first post. Seems that in my 1:00 am haze I didn't fully comprehend what you said... you're paying it out of your own pocket? I'm completely amazed and flabberghasted... wow! That is a hell of a 'thank you' to this enworld community! Thank you Kailord, that is beyond impressive. --Edit 4/7---

Sharantyr Al’shably

Stats: Human Male / 24th lvl Wizard / Lawful Neutral

Description: Sharantyr is a Mulhorandi (Mulan stock, basically Egyptian) of 26 years and has the handsome and elegant features of his people, except for his bone-white skin, long black hair and black eyes. His body language is one of tension and control, like a tightly wound metal cord. Sharantyr’s wears black robes, cut to allow for movement in combat, and a cloak made out of the skin of a young blue-dragon. Instead of the traditional wizard’s staff, he carries a long bladed Naganita (a pole-arm that has a katana [samurai sword] blade on the end of it), a gift from friends in a far-off lands.

Personality: Sharantyr leads a life of opposing loyalties and conflicts. His attempt to balance these demands has led to a life of strict, nearly in-human, self-discipline and perfectionism. The veneer sometimes slips, showing the constant struggle between his emotions and his need to control them.

Background: Within Mulhorand, near the border of Thay there is a small town that is at times the victim to the conflict between these two giants. Within the town of Sultim lives the Al’shably family, who were once famed for their service as bodyguards to the god-kings of Mulhorand. Through the failure of the family patriarch, one of the royals was assassinated and the family shamed. As they tried to rebuild their lives in this town, the conflict between Thay and Mulhorand brought them disaster. The entirety of the family was killed, only one of the sons, Nesh, surviving. Nesh wished vengeance above all and donated his goods and land to the temple, earning an audience with the incarnation of Horus-Re. Before Horus-Re, Nesh vowed his life and the lives of his unborn children for only one goal, vengeance on those that destroyed all that he had loved. Horus-Re granted him his wish, allowing those of Nesh’s blood the ability to track down those responsible.

All of Nesh’s children, including Nesh himself, have died on their endless pursuit of vengeance. All save one, Sharantyr. His body has been forever changed by Thayan tortures and the Red Wizard’s magic, leaving his skin milk-white. But worse had been the changes within his soul. This hate-fueled obsession became his only priority, feeling the entire weight of his family’s future rested on his shoulders. As he traveled, leaving in his wake countless dead Thayans, his spirit became darker and darker. He was willing to do anything to fulfill his ambitions, until he finally realized he had become like those he was hunting. Now, he stands at the brink of a new future he could forge for himself. Should he continue as he was or seek a new destiny unbound by the shackles of the past?

-Arravis

Last edited:

Arravis

First Post
I'm including Doc Midnight's version of Sharantyr, excellently done I might add :), just to show one version. Though, feel free to do whatever interpretation you wish and make whatever changes you feel are appropriate if this happens to be one of the ones chosen.

I did make a few edits in photoshop to it, to keep up with character changes as the game has progressed. The woman with him is his wife Runa (played in our group by my fiancée :))

P.S.: I hope including the drawing Doc made wasn't a mistake... I'm just a massive fan of Todd's work and would love to see his take on this character.

Attachments

• sharrunalr.jpg
    sharrunalr.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 2,806
Last edited:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
For this, you rock...good luck reading all these posts, man. :)

KAZ THE DRAGONLORD
(Kobold Sorcerer/Egoist, N)

Imagine a kobold in simple maroon robes, with splotchy, red-brown scales and a malicious, intelligent gleam in his eyes as he peers at you from the other side of his spear. He's a kobold like a million others that have succumbed to the wrath of an adventurer's sword or an orc's axe. Or, rather, he is until he's standing on top of you with a spear to your chest.

You see, there are few things more degrading to an adventurer than to have their butts handed to them by a scrawny little dark-dweller. Kaz is going about changing all that. Practiced in the art of sorcery, skilled in the psionic discipline of egoism, Kaz is a born leader, whose low place in the world has only been a bias to push aside, a chain to break, and a Big One to Make Small. He may be a kobold, but he is a kobold with delusions of grandeur, and a sense of importance that far outstrips his physical form...for now. But he talks the talk, and walks the walk. His confidence is obscene, as his talent for running away and surviving seem to exceed his own battle prowess. However, he will argue, that surviving one more day makes him outlive a thousand stupid would-be world dominators. Kaz is a scaled phoenix, ascending from the ashes of kobold-dom to the high place of the dragon ancestors. And he WILL make it, someday. Someday, all the creatures who hate, pity, and slay his kind will know what it is like to be underfoot. Not with an iron fist of evil, but with the same gentle hand the dragons rule with. Fundamentally, it is a struggle for freedom and respect. Kaz will either achieve it, or die trying.

He is the Savior of Princesses, the Champion of the Scaled Ones, and the Scion of the Breath. He is Kaz (who calls himself the Mighty). He is either the saving grace of kobold kind...or perhaps their most pathetically, shamefully deluded fool. Only time will tell.

Last edited:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
And one more

Just in case Kaz doesn't make the cut:

BURZEN THE ADAMANTINE DWARF
(Dwarf Monk, LG)

Burzen is an intimidating figure. Silent, stoic, he seems to be carved of stone and given life. He dresses in flowing robes and ribbons of blue, white, and silver, his pillars of arms dropping to his waist, with fists nearly as big as his head. He is undoubtedly strong, and is deceptively agile and fast, moving quickly and easily, seen only as a silvery-white blur before the fist ends your sight forever.

He is a monk by choice and practice, disdaining normal dwarf-craft to craft and forge himself. To Burzen, life is a forge, and he is the metal that it shall shape, into the pure form of a weapon against the corruption that prevades it. To Burzen, there is little worth in a corrupt or wicked leadership, and the true form can only be realized through the honing of body and mind. He feels his people too often fall too easily to greed and corruption, and he is a determined force against it, requiring merely food and drink, and the ability to destroy wickedness where he finds it.

He is Burzen. Strong, silent, swift, the serious dwarf with a dream of unburdened freedom, an ore from which a weapon for goodness can be formed.

Eosin the Red

First Post
Kai you are the bomb. This is one of the coolest ideas.
Eosin the Red ruled the kingdom of Vintria during the bloodiest era the kingdom had ever faced. He was not noble, nor just, or even kind; like most men called heroes, he only did what fate required of him.

Eosin began as a scout with Vintria’s army. Eventually, his resourcefulness earned him a promotion to captain of a ranger unit. During some seasonal skirmishes with the northern barbarian tribes he chanced upon a meeting that involved several Imperial Senators and one of the most powerful barbarian chiefs. Discovering treason, he returned to the capitol, Viandian and sought to warn his superiors. Like many plans of treason, this one also ran deep. He was taken by the Lord Marshall and was to be hung, escaping the noose only through the efforts of his men. Unsure of who to trust, he turned to the legions themselves, entering Viandian through the king’s gate two days later.

Eosin and his legions were unable to save the king but they did quell the rebellion in the capitol. Then he turned his attention on the barbarian tribes pillaging in the countryside. He spent nearly four months campaigning before bringing them to task. He retained command of the legions only by virtue of imminent crisis but by the time he returned to the capitol he also had the loyalty of Archbishop Taedrin, the highest rank clergyman in all of Vintria. Upon his return, the legions urged him to take the Iron Crown, as did several prominent senators who had been loyal to the previous king.

Eosin ruled well for the first few years of his reign, taking a wife and producing six children. It was during this time that Eosin began to consult with the kingdoms clergy and the mage known as Solomon. He had one other notable advisor during the early years, an exiled prince from the elvish land of Elenastra. These three advised him of the growing darkness to the east in a land called Khel. During the next decade of his reign, Eosin sought to prepare his land to face this blackness but senseless wars and weak rulers had gutted the Vintrian Empire. Eosin had to unify Vintria first.

First, he removed the senate that had placed him on the throne, and then began a campaign to cull out those who undermined his efforts. He reclaimed lost provinces and buffer states that had been granted independence centuries earlier. Eosin and his legions remained in the field for thirteen long years; those years earned him the appellation “Eosin the Red.”

In the winter of his twenty first year as king, Eosin the Red ran out of time. Word came to him from one of the mystical Celestine knights, the darkness was breaking free. Knowing that his kingdom and his family would perish in the conflict, Eosin summoned his knights from the First and Tenth Legions. 5,000 of Vintira’s elite fighting force marched into Khel and sought to buy their land and their people a few more years.

Description: Eosin is a warrior-king. He has a quiet air of command, rather than a demanding one. He is well developed but approaching his middle years. Eosin is usually found dressed in functional mail and plate, the breastplate decorated with the eagle of Vintria. He is never without his sword, Al’Arcrist [Flame in the night] in a shoulder scabbard. He has short graying brown hair and his eyes are startling clear blue. If any described him as handsome, it would be in a rugged way. During the later years of his reign, the weight of his struggle was reflected both as an intense focus and his surrender to a doom he could not avoid.

d20
Eosin the Red, human male, Woodsman 4/Fighter 4/ Noble 3
Str 14 (+2), Dex 13 (+1), Con 12 (+1), Int 16 (+3), Wis 15 (+2), Cha 17 (+3).

Last edited:

Gez

First Post
Makura Inaoko (Oriental Adventure character)

Only child of Daymio Makura Takeu, Inaoko was raised to govern. Her mother died giving childbirth, and her father didn't marry again, leaving her his only inheritor.

Since birth, the Sign of the Dragons was strong in her, so she would be as the Dragons, authoritarian, uncompromising, powerful in sorcery... and vain. Her mythical ancestry was shown by the Dragonmark or her family: eyes with pearly whites, jet black irises, and bright gilded pupils, slanted like the two branchs of a V. These unsettling eyes are her sigil, the proof of her nobility, and of the power flowing through her veins.

The precious child was both protected and toughened up. After eight years of joyfully being a little pest with near-total diplomatic immunity, came all the hardship of becoming a woman of power in a land where it's more than difficult; a competent aristocrat, able to fight, commend, organize, plot, lie, and plan; and a powerful sorceress, imposing her will to the forces of the elements as well as on the minds of peoples. Even worse was the "training" to survive possible attempts at poisoning her, a training that often left her crippled in her bed for lengthy months.

She felt she was forged into a deadly weapon -- and smithing includes heating metal until it's red-hot, and then hammering it violently into shape. It would have been completely traumatic were not for the friendship of a vassal's son. That vassal had three children, two sons and one daughter, all bearing the Dragonmark of their own family. Her friend saved her from madness or suicide by bearing the weight of her burden of anguish and sorrow with her. As a result, she fell deeply in love with him, which upsetted her father's plans when she proved later exactly how uncompromising she could be, and managed to wed her friend.

Her father's plans, meanwhile, proved extremely dangerous. Since the death of the Emperor and his whole family during the war against the shadewarriors, the rulership was in the hands of the Shogun -- who had not the slightiest hint of Dragonblood in his family. The heritage of the Dragons was likely fading in most noble families, result of the strikes of the shadewarriors and the lack of a rightful Emperor in the country. Makura Takeu, whose family always had one of the most potent Dragonblood in the Empire, plotted to seize the throne for himself and thus repair the pact made with the True Dragons centuries ago -- that the Empire should always been in the hand of their most faithful servants, those that have been blessed with a Mark of the Dragons. Someone, in his small cabal of twice-nobles (nobility of blood and nobility of title) reported his treasonnous projects to the Shogun, who sent his army to seize Kyuden Ryu and wipe the Makura family out of history.

Inaoko was told to flee with her husband and her family-in-law, in order to raise an army in the land of these strange, barbaric gaijin, and come back to claim the throne at last. A hard task, without money, allies, contacts, and even without knowledge of the new world they were sent to. But a task she was prepared to. She will succeed, she will bend the world to her will, she knows it.

Female human Aristocrat 2/Sorcerer 2, lawful neutral, 19-year-old, 1m68 (5'5"), 54 kg (121 lb.). Str 12, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 18. She's tall, even towering in her homeland, healthy, graceful, and with an aura of power and hypnotic eyes.

Here's an attempt of getting a decent pic for her through heavily photoshoppage of a NWN portrait.

Attachments

• inaoko3.jpg
    inaoko3.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 2,632
Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads