D&D 5E Exclusive D&D Next Campaign available at Gen Con Only

Rydac

Explorer
What, the dozens upon dozens of re-released modules from all eras of D&D that WotC has finally opened up to everyone to purchase through dndclassics.com is no longer enough again? Holding back on this one new module and all of a sudden they're back to being idiots?

Oh, how soon they forget. Even now... give an inch and people demand a mile.
I'm not giving them special credit for making a smart business move and selling PDFs of old adventures. Great they did it, but wasn't out of goodness of their heart.

What chaps me about the Gencon exclusive sale is.....I'm wondering about my incentive to remain a ddi subscriber .....why nothing special for loyalists? I like 4e and play it, but will almost assuredly move on to D&D Next. I generally like what I see so far and rarely play 4e anymore (have been playing deathwatch & iron kingdoms recently). 4e is limited to one monthly game with other d&d being playtesting sessions of Next.

Since Dungeon and Dragon aren't doing much about Next and I'm moving on from 4e...unless DDI does something to sweeten the pot (like give subscribers access even via PDF after Gencon to the Ghosts of Dragonspear) I don't feel a reason to remain a subscriber. One friend suggested that if subscribers started leaving in droves it might spur WotC to pick up the pace.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
What chaps me about the Gencon exclusive sale is.....I'm wondering about my incentive to remain a ddi subscriber .....why nothing special for loyalists? I like 4e and play it, but will almost assuredly move on to D&D Next.

Your incentive is for everything you already get as a DDI subscriber.

You want access to the character builder, monster builder, compendium, the game info and modules from Dragon and Dungeon. That's why you subscribed, and that's what you get.

If you've been subscribed all along just on the hope of getting something "special" down the road... then you've been wasting your money. WotC promised you certain things by subscribing to DDI, which you have received. No more, no less. They owe you nothing else.

Iosue

Legend
For the record, though, as a DDI subscriber you got a full Next conversion of Tomb of Horrors in Dungeon 213. That's an adventure no one else in the playtest except for DDI subscribers got. Blood of Gruumsh in Dungeon 210, also, while ostensibly for 4e, was written to be easily converted to any edition, including Next. Keep checking Dungeon. I think we'll get more Next goodies as the months go by.

Klaus

First Post
I'm not giving them special credit for making a smart business move and selling PDFs of old adventures. Great they did it, but wasn't out of goodness of their heart.

What chaps me about the Gencon exclusive sale is.....I'm wondering about my incentive to remain a ddi subscriber .....why nothing special for loyalists? I like 4e and play it, but will almost assuredly move on to D&D Next. I generally like what I see so far and rarely play 4e anymore (have been playing deathwatch & iron kingdoms recently). 4e is limited to one monthly game with other d&d being playtesting sessions of Next.

Since Dungeon and Dragon aren't doing much about Next and I'm moving on from 4e...unless DDI does something to sweeten the pot (like give subscribers access even via PDF after Gencon to the Ghosts of Dragonspear) I don't feel a reason to remain a subscriber. One friend suggested that if subscribers started leaving in droves it might spur WotC to pick up the pace.

You may have missed it, but when the current window for Dragon/Dungeon article pitches was opened, WotC said they'd be allowing pitches of D&D Next adventures.

Rydac

Explorer
You may have missed it, but when the current window for Dragon/Dungeon article pitches was opened, WotC said they'd be allowing pitches of D&D Next adventures.

Thanks Claudio I did miss that, and thanks Iosue for the heads up on the two dungeon adventures....a bit more of that is the kind of incentive WotC needs to be using to retain customers like myself that are moving on to the next edition.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Ghost of Dragonspear Castle would make a great offering for DDi subscribers in Dungeon magazines, similar to how they started to distribute previous D&D Encounters season adventures.

jrowland

First Post
Mearls was DMing a massive battle with the new rules according to some of his blog/tweets, etc. I assume Dragonspear Castle is it. It was originally compatible with Battlesystem.

Gorgoroth

Banned
Banned
Sounds awesome! I wish I could be there to try this adventure. Hmmm, wait a minute, Indiana is not that far from Toronto, maybe 7 hours by car.

*rubs hands together

Gargoyle

Adventurer
What, the dozens upon dozens of re-released modules from all eras of D&D that WotC has finally opened up to everyone to purchase through dndclassics.com is no longer enough again? Holding back on this one new module and all of a sudden they're back to being idiots?

Oh, how soon they forget. Even now... give an inch and people demand a mile.

I didn't call them idiots. Nor am I whining like an entitled brat. I just disagreed with their decision.

Gargoyle

Adventurer
Not to mention that in the course of the playtest they have already given away 3 original adventures, 2 full conversions of classic modules, and conversion notes for two Encounters seasons as well as the entire S series.

Hard to playtest without some adventuring material, so they were hardly giving stuff away out of the goodness of their hearts. I'm not asking for anything free. I would like however, the ability to purchase all the material, even if it is playtesting, and it could still be at GenCon first to encourage people to go to the con.

Remove ads