Exotic Fruit

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Swedish fish are said to taste like lingonberry, but I suspect it does so in in the same way banana candy tastes like bananas.
Banana candy DOES taste like bananas. It’s just that they taste like the Gros Michael varietal, not the Cavendish.

The Gros Michael was the #1 banana cultivar in the world until the 1950s, when it disappeared from the global market due to Panama Disease (a fungal infection) that wiped out something like 90% of the world’s crops in just a few years. They still exist, but AFAIK, nobody is exporting them. I have been told that you can buy seeds and grow your own, if you have the right climate & soil.

FWIW, the Cavendish is currently under attack by a similar fungus.☹️

On the bright side, there’s other cultivars out there starting to get traction in international trade, AND there’s been some successes in crossbreeding Gros Michael’s and Cavendish bananas to create more fungal resistant cultivars.

Last edited:

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Banana candy DOES taste like bananas. It’s just that they taste like the Gros Michael varietal, not the Cavendish.

The Gros Michael was the #1 banana cut bar in the world until the 1950s, when it disappeared from the global market due to Panama Disease (a fungal infection) that wiped out something like 90% of the world’s crops in just a few years. They still exist, but AFAIK, nobody is exporting them. I have been told that you can buy seeds and grow your own, if you have the right climate & soil.

FWIW, the Cavendish is currently under attack by a similar fungus.☹️

On the bright side, there’s other cultivars out there starting to get traction in international trade, AND there’s been some successes in crossbreeding Gros Michael’s and Cavendish bananas to create more fungal resistant cultivars.
When I was working in Hawaii, there are tons of different types of fruits that are not on the mainland, a lot one can find just growing wild, Apple Bananas are one:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
When I was working in Hawaii, there are tons of different types of fruits that are not on the mainland, a lot one can find just growing wild, Apple Bananas are one:
I’ve had a few mini-banana cultivars from Asian grocery stores. I enjoyed most of them.

Those I didn’t might not have been at the proper ripeness, but IDK.🤷🏾‍♂️

the Jester

Legend
Feijoa count? Didn't know what they were growing up but they're from South America iirc.

They grow up north in New Zealand apparently fairly common but to cold down here.

Found out about them in mid 90s. Not a big fan of the taste.

Absolutely! I've had them and I'd give them probably a B- for my personal taste. I like them, but there are a ton of better options that are available more easily in my area.

Remove ads