Exotic Fruit

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
One for y’all to try: mayhaw jelly

I was given some a few years ago by a friend, and it’s been a pantry staple ever since. It’s kind of sweet/tart, like a good cranberry or citrus jelly, while still being its own thing. I’ve used it on sandwiches, on crackers with cream cheese, and served it as part of a charcuterie.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
FWIW, I put a link to this thread in the Cookin’ Agsin thread.

the Jester

Legend
Which breed?

I'm waiting for my Meyer lemons to ripen (probably a week or two away) and I really like where they fall -- in between oranges and lemons, more sweet than sour.
Not Meyers- we have a tree of those, and they have a fair amount of tartness. "Sweet lemons" are a specific citrus cultivar, also called limettas. I believe they are a citron/sour orange cross, while Meyers are a cross between a citron and a mandarin/pomelo hybrid.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Not really exotic, but I learned this holiday season that if you freeze for 24+hours close-but-not-quite ripe Hachiya persimmons and then thaw them for ~24 hours or so, it completes the ripening process and more importantly removes that terrible pithy texture from the flesh

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Got a couple of red dragonfruit for the second time in as any decades. They were…OK.

I might try the yellow if I see them, but I’ve never seen them.

Remove ads