D&D 5E Expanded Weapons List

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Versatile (finesse) is described on the second page, and means that the weapon gains the finesse property when you wield it in two hands.

Oh, you mean I should actually open my eyes and read the document correctly as my question had already been answered? Well, okay, if you insist. ;)

Me red guud.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
It's only 1 point worse on average than a d12.

And presumably anyone who has seen 'DEX-as-god-stat' at their table won't use 77IM's chart. So no harm, no foul.

My tables align with his-- my players make STR-based characters because they like the story of STR-based characters regardless of supposedly how "overpowered" DEX is, and adding a "versatile finesse" or "reach finesse" weapon option wouldn't change that. So the additions 77IM have made would not be an issue for my table and thus I'd be okay with using the chart. Other tables would be different.

Laurefindel

Legend
And from my very own real life hay-making experience: a scythe is not a reach weapon.

Yes.

Actually, from my very own hay-making experience: an (unmodified) scythe is not a wieldy weapon at all. It looks cool, in a bad-ass grim reaper kind of way, but as peasant tools go, it's one of the worst to use as a weapon. Flip the blade upright and then we'll talk but as it is, I'd rather use a gardener's shovel or a wooden branch.

Not that it will ever prevent me from using a scythe in fantasy R-P; it's too emblematic and looks way to cool to pass on!

What's the benefit of finesse on a sling? Don't ranged weapons always use Dexterity anyway? Or is the idea behind it to key it off of Strength instead?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yes.

Actually, from my very own hay-making experience: an (unmodified) scythe is not a wieldy weapon at all. It looks cool, in a bad-ass grim reaper kind of way, but as peasant tools go, it's one of the worst to use as a weapon. Flip the blade upright and then we'll talk but as it is, I'd rather use a gardener's shovel or a wooden branch.

Not that it will ever prevent me from using a scythe in fantasy R-P; it's too emblematic and looks way to cool to pass on!

Same deal, for me at least, with spiked chains, and even fighting with two rapiers. It's cool, iconic in fiction, and I likes it, so I'm gonna do it.

What's the benefit of finesse on a sling? Don't ranged weapons always use Dexterity anyway? Or is the idea behind it to key it off of Strength instead?
Yes. As a ranged weapon, slings do use Dex as standard. Giving them the Finesse property would allow them to use Str instead at the user's choice.
I do the same with bows as well.

Magnavis

Villager
2 sabers could be a valid fighting style. Alot of people homebrew sabers to just be Rapiers but with slashing instead of piercing.

You've done great here. But I might argue that a few changes need to be made.

The Warpick for one is pretty much the same weapon in reality as a Warhammer, just weighted slightly differently, I would argue that you should give it the same versatile heavy treatment with piercing instead of bludgeoning. Furthermore I would argue that the Battleaxe deserves precisely the same (however if you don't want to give the Battleaxe heavy you could give it versatile thrown, in reality they can be thrown with two hands). Leave no man behind. This trifecta of weapons deserves equal consideration.

Last edited:

Magnavis

Villager
If you want to make a weapon compete with Rapiers, give spears reach while wielded 2 handed, it's what they are built for and would be a great tradeoff for using an extra hand. That or it could be a consideration for the spearmaster feat.

Hmm or not, that would step on the toes of your sword staff and spiked chain. Unfortunate. That said, as a two handed option, they seem a bit underwhelming on damage. Giving them a boot up to D8 might not hurt for being two handed.

Personally I know that the meta gamer in me would still use a rapier and shield on a dex character even if they were D8. Another consideration would be removing the increased damage from spear from versatile and just giving it finesse and reach, then allowing spearmaster or Weapon master to give the increased die.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases