D&D 5E Expanding Exhaustion

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I don’t find disadvantage on ability checks as first level that counter-intuitive; as I a matter of fact I find it a rather realistic representation of mild physical exhaustion.

But I’m with you about desensitizing social and exploration pillar. For many characters, ability checks are the only way they can meaningfully contribute to anything outside combat and for this reason alone it shouldn’t be the first level of exhaustion IMO.
I really meant counter-intuitive when in relation to attacks and saves. When you look at all 3 of those together, why ability checks was the first choice for disadvantage when exhausted was what I found counter-intuitive. You become mentally tired before physically, which I just think is odd.

dregntael

Explorer
I have toyed with the idea of getting rid of the exhaustion table, and replacing it with a cumulative -1 to all rolls (ability checks, attack rolls and saving throws), -(level) to max HP, and -5 ft to movement per level of exhaustion. This makes the progression much 'smoother' and would prevent me from having to remember a table.

However, it woudn't make much of a difference since exhaustion comes up so rarely. I like the ideas presented in this thread, especially the idea of recovering abilities by taking a level of exhaustion. Does anyone have a version of this written up somewhere for the different classes?

Laurefindel

Legend
You become mentally tired before physically, which I just think is odd.
I find it pretty close to my reality, especially compared to Adrenalin-raising situations (like combat) where physical fatigue is at least temporarily overcome.

Thinking of it further, maybe D&D exhaustion should get into representing mental fatigue...

Sadras

Legend
I don't think I've ever actually seen Exhaustion applied in a game I've played, so I'd love to have more reasons to apply it because I think it's a nice mechanic.

I like #1 and #2 from @Sadras' post. I REALLY like #5 as well.

So from what I have seen - tables use either use #1 or #2 not both.
We use #1, #3, #4 and #5 - so far so good.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
As for expansion on exhaustion; I like to add that exhaustion levels can be eliminated with Hit Dice on a short rest.

That is particularly relevant in 1-day short rest / 1-week long rest
no hit points regained, just an elimination of an exhaustion level per HD?

Remove ads