Experimenting in the kitchen, again...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Thank you for clarifying what my nutritionist (clearly) dumbed-down for me.;)

(I suspect she did so because she has to for so many on a daily basis.)

She has to, I'm sure. But, allowing that situation to persist is being penny-wise, but pound foolish. Misunderstanding of nutrition, and the operation of the body, is a big problem, and it leads to a lot of people taking actions that don't have the results they expect.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
True, it does lead to a corrosion of understanding of & trust in the scientific method, as its practitioners become "high-priests" of a sort. But in a sense, doing it the right way is a Herculean, if not downright Sisyphean task. Eyes start to glaze over...

Is my own fields of expertise, I'm constantly dealing with people who misunderstand fundamentals. For example, they might expect economics to work like physics, but one is a hard science that follows rules that allow you to make extremely accurate predictions, the other is a "social" science that is more descriptive than predictive. Economists can talk in generalities & trends, but beyond that...

After a certain point, you simply tire of taking the time and effort required to correct misapprehensions, even with the ones who might be able to get it. Not everyone has the right stuff to be a teacher, even in the loosest sense of the word.

She could have phrased it better, though, no question.:)

Remove ads