Cookin again

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
@Dannyalcatraz
I love my cast iron, but I've never been confident in my seasoning. It's smooth and I've never have any horrendous accidents, but food residue still sticks to it when I cook.

Is that normal?

I've found my wok to be much easier to clean and keep in "cooking shape".
I’m not 100% on my seasoning either. My cast iron does OK, but my carbon-steel is a gremlin.

My initial seasoning (years ago) looked GORGEOUS! But a few months later, part of it failed. So I reseasoned it. That time lasted more than a year, then got patchy. So I’m getting used to redoing it on occasion.

Last edited:

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I’m not 100% on my seasoning either. My cast iron does OK, but my carbon-steel is a gremlin.

My initial seasoning (years ago) looked GORGEOUS! But a few months later, part of it failed. So I reseasoned it. That time lasted more than a year, then got patchy. So I’m getting used to redoing it on occasion.
My experience with (seasoned) cast iron was that the seasoning always failed. Every. Single. Time. The (enameled) cast iron I have and use these days is from Le Creuset (wedding gift) and that stuff is awesome (but that's not entirely relevant, here).

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I love my cast iron skillets. I have a couple of them, and they're seasoned perfectly--food rarely sticks to them, I can fry an egg in my smaller one and flip it without a spatula.

That said: if I ever cook something acidic--like simmer a tomato sauce, or deglaze it with wine--I'll usually have to re-season it right after. Maybe it's just my imagination, but it seems like the acid does something to the seasoning and makes food stick a little more than usual.

Remove ads