D&D (2024) Expert Classes - Feats Discussion

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Huh. I wasn’t thinking of persuading the audience of anything specific, just getting them to be positively disposed toward you.

I can see how, if you are trying to have fewer skills, those could be combined through a very broad definition of “persuade”. But then you’ve got the seasoned negotiator and the polished stage performer using the same skill. It’s like athletics covering swimming, climbing, running, and jumping, as if being good at one makes you good at all three.

On the other hand, four CHA skills and one STR skill seems wrong.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Many feats offer clear improvements -- it's a really good sign. Here's ten where I think the fixes are solid improvements, even if many are ordinary-level feats.

* Weapon training. A better name, and finally has a use.

* Spell Sniper. Very good. I wish they had kept the free cantrip. I'd prefer that to the ASI. Also I think a clarification is needed: for the prerequisite is any spellcasting allowed (e.g. elves with a spellcasting ability) or is it the spellcasting class feature only?

* Skulker. Now is a very solid choice for rogues. Losing the penalty to vision is an interesting choice; I know for some that was the strongest part of the feat, but 10' of blindsight is solid. I am one with the Force and the Force is with me.

* Lightly Armored. This is a reasonable conflating two earlier feats.

* Keen Mind. Excellent re-thinking.

* Durable. I like it. Tying it to the bonus action is clear.

* Dual Wielder. Top Marks. I love the re-write. Sure, it's awkward but it finally does what the feat should be doing.

* Defensive Duelist. I was initially nonplussed by the change, but the more I think about it, the more it seems good (a slight reduction to the central importance of Dexterity, and a good way to ease of of an initial 13 Dex score. (e.g. for a strength-based rogue)

* Crossbow Expert. The redundancy with Sharpshooter (and the repetition of "firing into melee" reduces the liklihood slightly that players will want to nab both. I'm not sure it's needed, but it's a fair re-write.

* Athlete. Another solid re-write. Advantage on jumps is overall helpful (whatever they do with the jump rules), and getting a climb speed is nice. (Generally I like having movement and swimming speeds because in play it means that characters don't need to make a roll for normal movement, as they do without a stated speed. I would like the glossary to spell that out, but I doubt anyone thinks it's important enough.)

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I dislike Ritual Caster changes. I LIKED a single class barbarian taking Ritual Caster to be a shaman. Or a rogue with Ritual Caster to help find magic treasure or traps. Or the Fighter, just to irritate the wizard.

This is ....Meh.
No, more blech.
I think this is a complaint that they might listen to if presented (clearly, and often enough) in the feedback. I agree with you 100%.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I dislike Ritual Caster changes. I LIKED a single class barbarian taking Ritual Caster to be a shaman. Or a rogue with Ritual Caster to help find magic treasure or traps. Or the Fighter, just to irritate the wizard.

This is ....Meh.
No, more blech.
I liked the thought of the ritual book where anyone who has the feat can hunt down more rituals to add to it, which it sounds like the oneDND feat gets rid of completely The only change I'd make to the current ritual caster feat is that you can add all rituals rather than just a single class.

Remove ads