Explain GMless RPGs to Me

Reynard

Legend
I have played solo RPGs, so maybe I am halfway there (?), but I have never played a GMless RPG.

What is the experience like? What is a good example of a GMless RPG? What different kinds of GMless RPGs are there? Which ones do you like? Or do you not like them? Why play a GMless RPG?

Thanks!

Aldarc

Legend
Irownsworn has become the gold standard of a GMless RPG. I feel like the author Shawn Tomkin has been brought in as a consultant for other TTRPGs that want to offer a GMless version of their game.

Ironsworn and its assets are free, so that would be a good place IMHO to start if you are interested in seeing how GMless RPGs go. A big part of them is the use of oracles (i.e., random tables or prompts) that help the solo player fill the role of the GM when it comes to generating the setting elements outside of the PC, including NPCs and environments.

I think that @innerdude is probably better informed and experienced when it comes to Ironsworn or Starsworn than I am, so I usually defer to his own expertise in this regard.

Reynard

Legend
Irownsworn has become the gold standard of a GMless RPG. I feel like the author Shawn Tomkin has been brought in as a consultant for other TTRPGs that want to offer a GMless version of their game.

Ironsworn and its assets are free, so that would be a good place IMHO to start if you are interested in seeing how GMless RPGs go. A big part of them is the use of oracles (i.e., random tables or prompts) that help the solo player fill the role of the GM when it comes to generating the setting elements outside of the PC, including NPCs and environments.

I think that @innerdude is probably better informed and experienced when it comes to Ironsworn or Starsworn than I am, so I usually defer to his own expertise in this regard.
I have played Starforged, which I liked. I am not sure it would be more fun with 3 of us, tho.

Remove ads