Extra feats for sorcerors?

Is this a good idea?

• Stinks!

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • I don't mind, but wouldn't use it.

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • I'ts a nice idea, but not worth the bother.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Great!

Votes: 1 7.7%

Starfox

Hero
It is often said that the sorcerer is too weak. I'd want to elaborate this to say that the sorcerer is to weak and gets too few class abilities; he needs some reason to remain a sorcerer and not branch out into some prestige class. Right now, the only ability a sorcerer has to give up in order to take a prestige class is his familiar, which is not a terrible price to pay, as it still gets everything but new level-based abilities.

My solution is to give the sorcerer a few bonus feats, from a very limited selection. I'm thinking of giving the same number of bonus feats the wizard has; one at first level, and one more every five levels after that.
  • Combat Casting
  • Eschew Materials [T&B]
  • Extra Slot [T&B]
  • Extra Spell [T&B]
  • Skill Focus (Concentration)
These feats deal with spellcasting, which should be the forte of the sorcerer. Eschew Materials deals with what you need to cast spells; many seem to think that material components are superfluous for sorcerers. Extra Spell, develops the sorcerer's innate talents. It is a cure for the sorcerer's limited spell list. Most picks will probably be Extra Spell. Concentration skill and the fats that improve it represent the facility with which sorcerers use magic.

Cabral

First Post
Well, the metamagic feats are going to restrict a sorcerer's spellcasting in that any spell that a sorcerer casts modified by one or more metamagic feats will take one full round to cast or an additional full round if it already takes a full round or more. I don't think metamagic feats are that common with sorcerers (and bards) unless they have they Arcane Preparation feat.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
I don't really think they need the extra feats; players IMC already take levels in sorcerer, and no one's really complained.

graydoom

First Post
I don't see giving extra feats to the sorcerer as needed. It seems balanced against the wizard as it is.
On the suggestion you made, having to cast metamagic spells as a full round spell makes the metamagic not very good. I agree with you, most sorcerers would probably pick Extra Spell, though Skill Focus (Concentration) would also be popular (depends if you have rule0ed it to +3 or not).
Ultimately, I think that the idea is pretty good but isn't really needed.

Remove ads