D&D General Extract information from hostile NPCs - DM tips?

Hey all,

tl;dr
How do you guys deal with a situation where you think that the rather intelligent BBEG (Int >16, Wis >16) would think "Screw those adversaries [the PCs], I am NOT gonna tell them anything, even as I am bleeding out, defeated and dying", and you still want to have your PCs find some important information?

Slightly longer version

As campaigns develop, players need to come across bits of information (plot hooks, or explanations for things that happened to link them to the storyline). I try to create NPCs that are friendly, that volunteer information because they are on the same side as the PCs, but sometimes it is unavoidable that the PCs need to learn some secret from the enemy that is not known to any other allies.

If I don't set up anything, we usually end up with Ye Olde Interrogation, where the slain enemies somehow find motivation to offer secret information. I can see that the PCs can intimidate some minion into giving up some secrets, but why would a BBEG first risk everything to slay the PCs, and then give up all his secrets when he is defeated? Surely not ALL BBEGs think "Oh well, I lost the fight and my life, might as well spew all my secrets to my victors / adversaries." And BBEGs shouldn't all be so stupid to write down all their secrets into some convenient scrolls which are always kept in a chest in a hidden spot with Ye Olde Optional Trap to protect it (as if the trap helps once the BBEG is already dead).

In short, I am looking for creative ways to get information from the enemy into the hands of my PCs.

Thanks, hive mind!

How do you guys deal with a situation where you think that the rather intelligent BBEG (Int >16, Wis >16) would think "Screw those adversaries [the PCs], I am NOT gonna tell them anything, even as I am bleeding out, defeated and dying", and you still want to have your PCs find some important information?

Is it important to the story? A diary lying around somewhere works.

Or just have him monologue first.

Definitely diary, mad scheme drawn in riddle form, or some conscripts that lead the way.

On a more imaginative side:
  • a servant or lover or partner of the bad guy knows the plan
  • the ghost of the bad guy rises, and in an effort to redeem his soul explains the plot (maybe he can only do it in riddle form)
  • a tattoo on the man's body reveals the plan

Dragonsbane

Proud Grognard
You could be dastardly, perhaps the BBG tells the players where the hidden lair they have been searching for is, only to find he sent them to a deathtrap on his last breath (and perhaps they can somehow find the real place from a clue in the deathtrap).

Also, players can always us something like Detect Thoughts or other interrogation magic, it doesn't always need to be the NPC caves in.

Spohedus

Explorer
The true advantage of the written scheme (other than who knows what the murderhobo's will do..) is that you can create a hand out, which allows the PCs to read it three weeks later and remember key pieces of the plot. Oftentimes as DM, you're thinking about these details daily, but PCs only heard it over 30 seconds three weeks ago, and forgot. If it is actionable to the main plot, definitely create a hand out!

The notebook is excellent. Speak with dead is also useful to pump info from a slain opponent.
Interrogating a minion will work too. Especially if the BBEG died. Not getting killed is a powerful motivator and when the big boss is dead, the minion will/should have no reasons to withhold information.

Shiroiken

Legend
Old school style, but exchange the information for their freedom. Only the fanatical are willing to die to achieve their goals, so the bad guys should be more than willing to make this exchange. The location of a cache of treasure can be used as a sweetener if the party is hesitant. The only downside to this is if the players are actually willing to honor the deal, as many players are more than willing to kill them after getting the information.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
  • Speak with Dead combined with a clever disguise so the animated spirit thinks you're one of its minions.
  • Head of the Thieves' Guild keeps tabs on everyone. You'll need to make contact, get them what they want, and hope they have what you want, all without getting your throat slit.
  • The Oracle of Missing Answers can supply you with what you need, but it's a dangerous trek, and there's always a cost.
  • Good ole magic. There's a ton of spells that get little use because they're not combat-based, such as Divination or Contact Other Plane. And, if you can't cast it yourself, maybe someone will do it for you (for a quest, of course).

It's one example of many how the BBEG giving you the middle finger as he dies can lead to a new mission and adventure. In modules, to move the narrative along, the BBEG always conveniently has a journal with the map you need, or the password hidden in a book that you're going to find. But, take that away, and you can push players to be creative.

Last edited:

jgsugden

Legend
Lots of ways:

1.) They left notes or research.
2.) Divinations.
3.) Someone else was investigating the BBEG and collected information. The PCs can find them.
4.) They drop traps into the data download - 90% true, 10% trap to get their vengeance.
5.) Give them some satisfaction for spewing - "I tell you this because I want to see the pain on your face when you realize there is nothing you can do to stop this... you may kill me, but I am victorious in the end!"
6.) Negotiation - "If you let me live, I can tell you what you need to know... but only if I walk out of here, alive, with my gear. Deal?"
7.) Minions - "He beat me. I owe him nothing now that he is dead. In fact, seeing you spoil his plans would bring me much satisfaction. Here is what you need to know."

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
In addition to the above- how about other bargaining if they believe the PCs to be honorable? "You have defeated me; I will tell you what you need to know, if you give me your sacred oath to do [x task] when I am gone." This could be carrying a message or heirloom to a family member or friend, defeating another (also evil) enemy of the bad guy, making a funerary offering for them, throwing their (perhaps cursed) magical sword into the sea...

Remove ads