• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Extreme slowdowns?

Douane

First Post
Hi!

Over the last 20 hours it has become nearly impossible to post on EN World anymore as I suffer from extreme slowdowns and outages (only this site here).

Anybody experiencing the same or is the problem somewhere on my end?

Thanks,

Folkert

Michael Morris

First Post
As far as I can tell there is nothing wrong with the machine. Recently I made a change which locked out some hackers which have been plaguing us for awhile now - it is possible that they are DDOS'ing the machine in frustration. At least one of the seize ups was caused by someone trying to break into the SMTP port - a hole that has been closed for awhile now.

If it is a DDOS attack, there's next to nothing that can be done about it.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
I noticed the site was slow at responding to opening a page the past couple of days. My browser would give up after a while and tell me the server wasn't responding.

Once it starts to load the page it does fine.

Douane

First Post
moritheil said:
One player in a PBP had to post 20+ times to make his posts go through.

http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=4051352&postcount=124
Thanks for bringing it up! :)

Thornir Alekeg said:
I noticed the site was slow at responding to opening a page the past couple of days. My browser would give up after a while and tell me the server wasn't responding.

Once it starts to load the page it does fine.
Sounds exactly like my problem. When the page actually started to load, everything was okay, but I had to hit "reload" 10-20 times to actually get it to load. (Sometimes even worse - the 23 attempts mentioned in my post on the PbP thread was the "highlight".)

Michael Morris said:
As far as I can tell there is nothing wrong with the machine. Recently I made a change which locked out some hackers which have been plaguing us for awhile now - it is possible that they are DDOS'ing the machine in frustration. At least one of the seize ups was caused by someone trying to break into the SMTP port - a hole that has been closed for awhile now.

If it is a DDOS attack, there's next to nothing that can be done about it.

Thanks for the quick reply, Michael! Good to hear that the site is okay. :)

I wasn't looking to cast any stones, but merely frustrated with the state of things and wanted to know if this was a general problem or one on my end. (Especially as other members seemed to post without problems.)

Today (yesterday) has brought more of same problems but right now (alomost 1 AM over here in Germany) everything works as it should, no outages at all. :confused: I'll chalk it up to a technical fluke and am now one happy camper to have EN World back for me.

Thanks!

Folkert

Last edited:

Kheti sa-Menik

First Post
Agreed. This site has slowed to a crawl in the last two weeks.
Just accessing the site, never mind posting has become SLOW.

Is there an issue?

Not just from my home and my ISP. From two or three friends' places who have different ISPs as well as from my corporate network at the office.

Something is slowing access to Enworld in a major way.

Nyaricus

First Post
Kheti sa-Menik said:
Agreed. This site has slowed to a crawl in the last two weeks.
Just accessing the site, never mind posting has become SLOW.

Is there an issue?

Not just from my home and my ISP. From two or three friends' places who have different ISPs as well as from my corporate network at the office.

Yeah, I can say the same - school, friends and my house are all super slow when trying to access ENW, at all times of the day and night over here.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Nyaricus said:
Yeah, I can say the same - school, friends and my house are all super slow when trying to access ENW, at all times of the day and night over here.
Strange. I only notice the slowdown during evening and night of local time. That would be around noon to evening in US. The majority of time I'm here, it's about 1000-1500 users online and the site works fine. When it get's over 2000 it starts to slow.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Tuesday was freakin' impossible for me. It took waaaay longer than necessary to connect, and I only connected once. All subsequent attempts to connect or refresh utterly failed until later in the evening. Was about 7 pm that I finally had a clear signal. :\

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Kheti sa-Menik said:
Is there an issue?

Yes. Traffic has gone ballistic. At times there have been over 3000 users online, which is far, far above normal load. Now D&DXP is over, it should be calming down a bit.

Remove ads