Falling Damage and Stoneskin

prospero63

First Post
That's disingenuous.

Not only that, it's silly. I'm going to go out on a limb and say not only does he not think a spell called stoneskin gives you a stone skin, he probably thinks it, oh I don't know, does what the spell description says (which doesn't include making one's skin stone, or any such thing). ;)

Delta

First Post
I wouldn't think it would, but I want to verify.
Stoneskin protects against weapon damage, including blunt weapons.
But it would not mitigate falling damage would it?

I asked Skip Williams this early in 3E (kept the FAQ at that time), by personal email he replied "yes", that's the intent of DR. If I remember I'll dig up the email when I get home.

frankthedm

First Post
I'm not so much worried about the DR reduction of 10 points (I'm not that much of a tightwad that I can't give a player the benefit of the doubt on a potential 10d6 fall)
It is not an issue of being ungenerous, Stoneskin gives DR and thus follows the rules of DR. The real matter is whether DR reduces falling damage.

Delta

First Post
So here's the reply from Skip "TSR Sage" Williams back on Jan-16, 2003:

In a message dated 1/14/03 5:21:53 PM, <email omitted> writes:

<< Something has just occured to me that seems rather ambiguous in the core rules. I'm wondering if damage reduction is supposed to serve as protection from non-magical, non-energy effects that have no attack roll, such as: falling, landslides, tornados, crushing wall traps, or creature constrict and swallow whole abilities (DMG ch. 3, MM Introduction).

Should DR help against these kinds of physical effects? >>

In a word, yes. (That's a departure form previous additions of the game, but once reason DR replaces the old immunity to non-magical weapons special defense is so that a long list of exceptions were no longer needed.)

prospero63

First Post
So here's the reply from Skip "TSR Sage" Williams back on Jan-16, 2003:

Cool, though my group and I have found much humor at asking "the sage" the same question and getting different answers... :confused:

I do happen to agree with this ruling however. Stone skin (in all the games I'm in at least) gives you that first 10 points on damage (no qualifiers aside from the obvious energy, simply damage).

irdeggman

First Post
I have to disagree with skip. It might have been the intent but the RAW states otherwise.

Rules Compendium (pg 41)

"A creature that has damage reduction (DR) ignores some of the hit point damage from weapons, natural weapons, and unarmed attacks that don't meet certain critieria."

Is falling a "Weapon" or a "natural weapon" or an "unarmed attack"?

The answer has to be no. The supporting information is that feats that apply to weapons can't be applied to "falling" - weapon focus, weapon specialization etc.

Rules Compendium (pg 42)

"Weapons and natural weapons are classified according to the type of damage they deal, which can be bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing."

Rules Compendium (pg 52)

"A creature that falls takes 1d6 points of damage per 10 feet fallen, to a maximum of 20d6."

This is non-typed damage - that is it does not specify bludgeoning, slashing or piercing. Common sense may say it should be bludgeoning but then we are reading things into the rules that are not there. Only weapons have a damage type and falling does not have one.

Delta

First Post
I have to disagree with skip. It might have been the intent but the RAW states otherwise.

Well, two problems with that argument. (a) You're quoting a source (RC) that didn't exist when Skip was writing. Rules Compendium is suspect in that it changed a lot of stuff at the end of 3.x. (b) If you're going to get rules-lawyerish, you're not quoting everything that the core rules say.

Here's what the SRD says at the start of Damage Reduction:

A creature with this special quality ignores damage from most weapons and natural attacks... The creature takes normal damage from energy attacks (even nonmagical ones), spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities...

Okay, so falling isn't a weapon -- you argue that the creature can't ignore damage. But falling is also not an energy, spell, spell-like, or supernatural ability -- so I argue that the creature can't take normal damage, either, by this quote.

The truth is that the core rules don't say one way or the other, and falling (et. al.) fails to land in either category (hence my asking Skip about it in '03). If I had to decide for myself, it certainly looks more like the former (natural attacks) than the latter, so I'm happy with Skip's comment.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases