• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fallout 3 - Today's the day!

Pyrex

First Post
*grumbles about how EBGames cancelled his preorder due to their system being busted and now he has to wait another week before his reorder from Amazon arrives* :(

EricNoah

Adventurer
Mrs. Noah surprised me with an early b-day present and I've spent the past couple of hours enjoying Fallout 3! It's very Oblivion-y which is excellent in my opinion.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Girlfriend just messaged that my copy arrived in the mail. Still 6 1/2 hours until I can get home though :(.

Felon

First Post
Thanks for the mini-review, Shayuri. One thing I noted playing Fallout 1 & 2 was that playing a character that focused on non-weapon skills wasn't really viable. Sounds like I may have more options here to talk, sneak, and hack my way around problems.

Shayuri

First Post
Yer welcome!

A point of warning though. Fallout 3 is still an action RPG...which means you'll need some kind of combat skill. It doesn't have to be astronomically high or even tagged, but you can't get by -completely- with noncombat.

Sneaking, especially with a Stealthboy, can make things easier. A stealthy headshot will decapitate just about anything, and if your target is alone when you do it, you can often not attract any more attention. This makes it possible to sneak around assassinating folks.

You can also just sneak around, but without a Stealthboy there will be places you can't go without exposing yourself, and the Stealthboys are limited use items. Hacking helps, but not every location has turrets and robots to use...and robots are pretty fragile, and probably won't singlehandedly wipe out your foes (though they make terrific distractions).

You can sometimes surrender to enemies by holstering your weapons, but I haven't tried that. Not sure if Speech skills come into play there or what.

These skills are all very important, don't get me wrong, but they won't make combat nonexistent. Just easier. :)

Rackhir

Explorer
My amazon Survival edition just showed up (2 days early and in time for the weekend!). The Pip Boy clock I got it for is actually cooler than what I though it was. You can actually wear it like your character does in the game, but it doesn't have any alarm fuctions.

It's crying out for someone to mod an iPhone into it to replace the clock display.

EricNoah

Adventurer
So I had the day off today and found that somehow I ended up playing for like 7 hours. Yikes! It's very fun but I gotta ease up a bit! :D

edit: Oh, I am now in the market for a good FO3 info site, something akin to the Oblivion Wiki. Something that will allow me to learn about the game but will take care not to spoil things if I don't want to be spoiled. (I clicked on a random FO3 site last night and within one click I was on a screen that had a very, very spoiler-filled sentence on it that I had not anticipated! :( ). Suggestions welcome.

Also, is there something you can buy or make that will shed light (a torch or lantern or flashlight)? I'm getting tired of really dark areas where I'm possibly missing good loot... :)

Remove ads