• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fallout 3 - Today's the day!

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Your Pip-Boy has a flashlight in it. Hold down on the Tab key to activate it.

Or for those on XBox, hold down the B button for few seconds. Also, holding down X for few seconds holsters your weapon... In case you don't like running around pointing your gun to everyones face :D

Thanee

First Post
So, is this more Oblivion-turned-Fallout or Fallout-with-some-Oblivion?

If you would just swap the world and textures and so on, would it then basically be Oblivion (with Firearms ;))? Does it play pretty much exactly like Oblivion?

Any who really didn't like Oblivion, but still do like Fallout 3? Is this possible?

Bye
Thanee

D.Shaffer

First Post
I got the game yesterday after an hour search of the local area to find one that actually still had a copy left. Actually ended up getting the display copy at the local gamestop. :D

Anyways, I meant to only play for a couple hours...and ended up playing till 3 in the morning. Not a good thing when you need to be up at 5 to go to work. :D One thing I noticed, it really overestimated my computer's abilities, setting the default level at high. Which made the game hard to play on. Setting it on Low made it playable, but it's not quite as nice looking. It's still pretty good. On higher levels, it's not just slow, it crashes a lot. That might be something to try for those of you with constant crashing issues.

My default Fallout character type is the sniper/genius type, high INT and AGI with tagged repair, science, and small arms. For a change of pace from my previous Fallout characters, I'm playing a female. I made the 'mistake' of exploring a bit before looking for Megaton and was rewarded with a nice hunting rifle. It's in bad condition though. Thanks to a couple raider nests I've cleared out, I've got a pretty good 10mm as well as an AWESOME set of spiked knuckles+hockey mask (+5 to unarmed!). At close ranged (Like inside the school) they're actually more effecting then my pistol is. I'm also loaded down with raider armor, which I really need to sell off. It got to the point I made some caches in the area which I need to get back to at some point.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Or for those on XBox, hold down the B button for few seconds. Also, holding down X for few seconds holsters your weapon... In case you don't like running around pointing your gun to everyones face :D

Yeah, I found that out pretty late in my experience.

Also found out about assigning hotkeys 1-8 recently. Handy for switching between a ranged weapon, melee weapon and grenade-like weapon.

EricNoah

Adventurer
That would be like... today!

Happy Birthday! :D

Bye
Thanee

Thank you!

As to your oblivion-v-fallout question ... to me, it's like Fallout-flavored Oblivion. The feel and look of the game, how you act, how you need to respond to the world around you, is very Oblivion like. Plus, when you are up-close-and-personal with things like SuperMutants or Radscorpions, it's not the same experience as viewing it high in the air with the creatures and the violence very far away from you. Fallout was like playing with toys, whereas Oblivion was like being a toy. Even if you are in 3rd person mode (which I am not very often in FO3 or Oblivion), it is much more personal, much more like it's happening to you.

Felon

First Post
Still waiting on Gamefly to deliver (but frankly, I have plenty of good games to tide me over now--Far Cry 2 is still in its sleeve).

Couple questions:

1) How does stealth work? Do you get something akin to the eye from Oblivion? How good is the AI with regards to line of sight, the character making noise or using his pipboy to shine light?

2) How does persuasion work? I don't think they kept the persuasion wheel from Oblivion. Do we just get different response options a la Mass Effect?

3) Are the AI's flawless shots even at extreme range? I'm always annoyed when a game provides the player with sniping from extreme range as an option, but then as soon as heads start popping the AI returns fire with pinpoint accuracy with whatever weapons they have on hand.

Shayuri

First Post
1) How does stealth work? Do you get something akin to the eye from Oblivion? How good is the AI with regards to line of sight, the character making noise or using his pipboy to shine light?

- When you're in Stealth mode, your character crouches down and moves more slowly, though not as slow as a walk. You gain an indicator at the top of the screen that tells you if you're Hidden, if you're in danger of being spotted (when it says CAUTION), and when a hostile has pinpointed you and is coming to attack (it says DANGER). It also tells you when a nonhostile has seen you, in which case it reads DETECTED, but doesn't turn red.

It takes line of sight and the light level where you are heavily into account in determining detection. The weight of your apparel also figures into it. I haven't tried sneaking with the light on yet, but since it raises the light level around you, I imagine it would be harmful to success odds. :)

2) How does persuasion work? I don't think they kept the persuasion wheel from Oblivion. Do we just get different response options a la Mass Effect?

-- The game makes certain responses available to you if your Speech skill is high enough. These responses have a percentage chance of success based on your skill level. The game also checks other stats and skills too, depending on the conversation. Sometimes you can get responses that key from other skills like Science or Medicine, sometimes from stat checks like Strength or Intelligence. When a particular response is opened up by a stat or skill check, there's no percentage chance of failure. The response will have the check type that opened it up in parentheses, so you can tell it's not just an 'ordinary' response.

3) Are the AI's flawless shots even at extreme range? I'm always annoyed when a game provides the player with sniping from extreme range as an option, but then as soon as heads start popping the AI returns fire with pinpoint accuracy with whatever weapons they have on hand.[/QUOTE]

-- Depends on where you are and what they're shooting. Harder foes have better weapon skills and therefore hit more often. Foes scale with you to an extent, but only up to a certain point. Location on the map also factors into difficulty of encounters. Plus, weapons have range limits. A raider with a shotgun will have to get closer to shoot you than a raider with a hunting rifle or, god forbid, a super mutant with a minigun.

evilgenius8000

First Post
I've been playing the game for a few days, and I really love it. It does remind me quite a bit of Oblivion, but I think they've really improved on the formula AND added in Fallout flavor. One thing that I really like is how they've removed the scaling feature that Oblivion (and Morrowind to a lesser extend) had, so if you wander into certain places when you're a lower level there's a chance you might be unable to clear it out.

And, to answer a question above, you basically crouch to enter stealth mode, and a little text thing says "Hidden" if nobody sees you, "Detected" if something sees you but isn't trying to attack you, "Caution" if an enemy hears you but can't see you, and "Danger" if you've been spotted and are under attack.

Remove ads