• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Familiars and role-playing

Ghostwind

First Post
One of the biggest problems in the campaigns I've been involved with over the years was the way familiars always wound up being treated as an object. They were acknowledged only when needed, basically brought out of the pack for a specific job and then put back in, so to speak. Hence the whole concept behind Dweomercraft: Familiars. I created a whole chapter on providing personality traits to the familiar to encourage it becoming a more interactive part of the game rather than the convenient object. :)

Mystic_23

First Post
I had an Air Mephit familiar once in a game. It was pretty funny because the GM actually played him as an NPC. Furthermore, he was somewhat arrogant and therefore a bit annoyed about the idea of being someones "familiar".

Most of the time he treated me like I was the familiar and HE was the great wizard. I had fun with it, so I played my part dutifully.

It was funny because my character had a common (fantasy style) name, but as an air mephit, he had this huge long title which made up his name. And he INSISTED that I give his whole title when I introduce him.

So, introductions went like this: (Note: these aren't the real names...I just don't remember them)

Me: "Hi, I'm Frank. I'm a wizard."

Character: "Hi Frank. Who is this?"

Me: "Oh, that's my familiar. He's an air mephit."

Air Mephit: "Ahem...."

Me: "His name is Philibus the Blah blah yackety smackety lalala" (It went on for some time)

Character: "Er...oh..."

Remove ads