D&D General Fantasy Byzantine Setting Brainstorming

gyor

Legend
I had a thought that a Fantasy Byzantine inspired setting might be different from other 5e settings so far.

So my thoughts so far are instead of Christianity as the state religion you have a none Christian Gnostism that worships the Aeons and a Henadic Platonism inspired by Proclus, with a minority of pre-Islamic Arab mythology based Genasi.

An Empress inspired by Theodora would be the ruler.

Off and on wars with Djinn ruled nations to their east.

Maybe make Aasimar, Tieflings, Triton, and Genasi the major minorities. Elves, Gnomes, Halflings and Dragonborn coming from the Undead plagued West, with Egyptian Ptah and Bes themed Dwarves come from the south.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Derren

Hero
Include some brutish people from the north as personal guard of the emperor to represent the Varangian Guard

And alchemist fire (or a even more fantasy equivalent). They were famous for it.
And some fantasy version of chariot races. Those things were known to sometimes spark mass riots when the favourite team lost.

Last edited:

atanakar

Hero
I'm very fond of the wargame called Broken Legions (Osprey Games). Players form a band of soldiers (romans, greek, egyptian, etc) and must fight against supernatural creatures and beings trying to invade the ancient world. Always thought it would make a good premise for a rpg campaign.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
On Byzantine settings, remember that the Byzantines didn't consider themselves Byzantine; they considered themselves the Roman Empire continued after the sacking of Rome.

Also, what time period do you want? Since you refer to Theodora that seems like early Byzantine, since by the end they basically held Constantiople and the Peloponesse region of Greece.

Fun fact: the Empire had a Bureau of Barbarians that was responsible for protocols involving "barbarians", and may have been an intelligence agency as well. That sounds like just the kind of organization that adventurers would belong to.

dave2008

Legend
On Byzantine settings, remember that the Byzantines didn't consider themselves Byzantine; they considered themselves the Roman Empire continued after the sacking of Rome.

Also, what time period do you want? Since you refer to Theodora that seems like early Byzantine, since by the end they basically held Constantiople and the Peloponesse region of Greece.

Fun fact: the Empire had a Bureau of Barbarians that was responsible for protocols involving "barbarians", and may have been an intelligence agency as well. That sounds like just the kind of organization that adventurers would belong to.
He describes a very fictional fantasy BE, I don't think you want to get to stuck to history.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
He describes a very fictional fantasy BE, I don't think you want to get to stuck to history.

True, but if you want to base it on the Byzantines it helps to know what period you want to emulate. So, the big things are the Byzantines under Justinian were a powerful force in the region and really were a valid successor state to the Roman Empire. By the end of the Palaiologos era it was pretty much a shadow of its form glory having be thoroughly conquered by the Ottomans.

So we can have an empire in a state of growth and conquest trying to prove they are valid successors to the previous larger empire's name and glory, we can have an empire in decline, or we can have something in between where they are the height of power but in a constant state of flux and threatened with losing that power.

I'd personally look at the third option, since it sets up interesting scenarios with neighbours. In particular the Kievian Rus stand-ins whom the Byzantine Empire was in conflict with over the centuries, and more than once just paid to fight a proxy war for them.

Derren

Hero
Two more things that might fit:
  • Have many power players in the city, especially in the palace, with their own agenda. and a lot of intrigue. After all there is a reason why the word "byzantine" became synonymous with very complex and intransparent systems.
  • Constantinople was famous for its walls and that it was impossible to conquer.

Last edited:

Remove ads