• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fantasy Concepts: An OGL Fantasy Saga Project

GEEKAZOID

First Post
How about "Hindrance"?

What might help us is to give an idea how this will be tracked.
Will it be just the word shocked, paralyzed, poisoned etc?
Or is it a numerical value as a penalty to rolls?

If it is the former just have a line for "Condition:________ " and write in the one you want.
For the later, call it "Status Penalty:___ " and enter the number.
I suspect you would still need to write the condition type next to it as you need to know one from the other.

Animus

Explorer
EditorBFG said:
... I also think that Fantasy Concepts might make a good transition product, for DMs to help players prepare over the next 10 months for changes likely to appear in 4E. James Wyatt has mentioned in interviews how frustrating participating in 3.5 games has been since working on 4E-- rogues useless against undead, paladins with 1/day schticks becoming mere warriors after round 1-- and if you read the descriptions and come back to your 3.5 game with a similar mindset, I think Fantasy Concepts will be very helpful.

Also, we've done a lot of work-- not just Flynn and I, but many of you guys-- and I want to see it in action. This needs to get played.

I was thinking of using it at the least as a transition product. Or, if 4e isn't for me, I may even stick with it. Who knows.

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
EditorBFG said:
I also think that Fantasy Concepts might make a good transition product, for DMs to help players prepare over the next 10 months for changes likely to appear in 4E. James Wyatt has mentioned in interviews how frustrating participating in 3.5 games has been since working on 4E-- rogues useless against undead, paladins with 1/day schticks becoming mere warriors after round 1-- and if you read the descriptions and come back to your 3.5 game with a similar mindset, I think Fantasy Concepts will be very helpful.

I would really love to see Fantasy Concepts released before Christmas, or better yet, in a couple of months. I would love to have such a product to wait for 4e.

I think you have a great "release window" between now and the end of the year. After that, many people would choose to wait for 4e, but before that some people (your niche market, the passionate gamers that live at EN World :) ) could like a transition game, and Fantasy Concepts can be that game.

Sundragon2012

First Post
I'm really waiting to look this over once its done. I admit I am not a rule maker, so there isn't much I can add. I would like to see Flynn's company do well with a good, solid niche ruleset that serves GMs and players who like a low-moderate magic/high adventure/high role-play setting.

Plus, as I work to write out my new setting and weight the options between available rule sets (4e, True20, Runequest, Fantasy Concepts) I would like work my setting to be rule-free in regards to someone having to use this or that system to run the setting. However, I would like to create add on materials that would make the setting compatible with any ruleset I choose such as Fantasy Concepts.

It'll be at least a year before the setting is fully written out, but well before that I will need to look at integrating at least one set into it in the form of a supplement that will exist as a value added free add-on. Thankfully Fantasy Concepts will most likely be fully complete before I am done.

My gut tells me to go with a good niche ruleset such as Runequest, True20 and Fantasy Concepts. $e is an option, but my intuition is "iffy" about it though I like what I am hearing. I might just stat the setting out for Fantasy Concepts, True20, 4e and Runequest. I'm still in the fence.

Sundragon

Gwarh

Explorer
I've been lurking through the entire lifespan of this thread, but thought I better chime in with my support for the project.

I am really looking foreward to what both of you come up with. I personally will be buying this PDF as well as D&D4E. I doubt they will be exactly the same, and the PDF will be much cheaper than the new 4E Books. Frankly I want them both.

It will be neet to see just how this project handles this and that compared to the 4E way of doing things when it finally comes out. I feel your project is still valid and absolutly you should press forward.

Thinking that 4E will make your Fantasy Concepts work moot, is like saying that the 3E or 3.5E books would make all the indie 3'rd ed books moot as well. And judging by the amount of Indie 3E books availible here at the ENWorld Store that statement is plain silly.

I'd wager after 4E comes out there will be a dozen variants/mods/houserule PDF booklets for sale from indie publishers withing the first few months. So why not push ahead and e-publish your Fantasy Concepts book. I think if anything the 4E announcement might even bring a few more sales from those Rabid fans who can't wait till next june.

I mean heck, you can even release another version of Fantasy Concepts, say FC2E when 4E comes out. With your own take on 4E, melding the best of the new into your FC ruleset.

ALSO

Why not start one of those PAY PAL hostage funds (er whatever you call them). Then folks like myself can donate a $10 or a $20 to show support for the project. You can always add the names of the financial supports to the PDF as a show of appreciation. I know other co's and Game Writers have done the same before and it's worked well for them.

Food for though :)

Im in for it

I'll put it this way. With all the effort you have collectively put into this project it would be a shame to see you just give in. I personally would like to see your product, as I believe it will be the closest thing to 4E available anytime soon. Whereas I am not normally one to pay for e-materials I believe I would consider making a Paypal based purchase just to get my Saturday night game an action boost with the Saga edition rules. It is a convenience I am willing to pay for. Though I could continue converting D&D to Saga on my own, but as I have little to no time nor a group of seasoned gamers at my disposal It only makes sense to acquire the material you have compiled. Please release soon! :D My noobs await 4e, but if I can give them a taste now SO BE IT! :cool:

Flynn

First Post
Thanks for the support, guys. We're still working on the rules, even if we aren't posting as much about it right now. (And my apologies for the lack of active posts here.)

I think you'll see this product come out, in one form or another, towards the end of October, or perhaps in early November, depending on how things work out, but you'll see it soon. It should be available in both PDF and Print-On-Demand, so for those that want hardcopy, you'll be able to pick it up that way, too. :)

I personally am excited about the prospects of this particular product, and am looking forward to its release.

More Later, Friends,
Flynn

Wraith Form

Explorer
Flynn said:
I think you'll see this product come out, in one form or another, towards the end of October, or perhaps in early November, depending on how things work out, but you'll see it soon. It should be available in both PDF and Print-On-Demand, so for those that want hardcopy, you'll be able to pick it up that way, too.
I'm pretty sure I've said this before but--I'm in for the PDF at the very least, and I have "disposable income". ;)

Any idea of a price range? (ballpark is good, I know it could change)

The problem:

Look familiar? Now, here is the thing: "Wounds" are not the right name. It does not describe all the conditions it represents. Flynn came up with "Pain Levels", which is certainly more accurate, but still not quite right.

Recommendation:

How about Condition ? Or are you concearned about using that?

Other words could be Status , orState ... just some thoughts.

Remove ads