• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fantasy Concepts: An OGL Fantasy Saga Project

Flynn

First Post
Mokona,

To answer your question, I actually see a little more money (around thirty cents more) with the POD, after print costs and Lulu's cut. I definitely hope that some of you will post reviews of the book once you've had a chance to read it through. Does it meet your needs in terms of what we have been working for in this project, or for your gaming needs in general? What do you like about it and what don't you like? It could help others decide if they want to pick it up or not.

For me, I hope that it meets your needs as a Fantasy Saga supplement. There are some differences, of course, because of the fantasy world aspects, and because of the need to be different simply for the sake of legal concerns. For those looking for a halfway step between v3.5 and 4E, and perhaps a way of preparing your gamers for that transition, Fantasy Concepts might also be something of interest.

Also, any additional input would be appreciated, as I would like to release a smallish Fantasy Concepts Companion in the next few months to include new character options and optional rules. I tried to be as thorough as I could, but as we all know, sometimes there are things that didn't get covered in a core book that might require some additional development (which can happen in a rushed development such as this one), and that's the idea behind the Companion.

If the Companion does well as a concept, I might continue with additional volumes as needed, such as one that contains elements of 4E that look like they might fit in Fantasy Concepts once we have the 4E SRD to play with. This would allow you to continue your Fantasy Concepts campaigns while using the best features of the next edition.

In short, I definitely would like to continue to support Fantasy Concepts, so long as there are at least a good handful of people that would find the work useful.

Hope This Helps,
Flynn

Flynn

First Post
Ryan Stoughton said:
Sorry if this is covered in a blurb and I just missed it - what's OGC and what's not?

All game mechanics are Open Game Content. That's basically 95% or more of the entire document. The one-page Introduction is basically the only part that doesn't contain game mechanics.

Hope That Helps,
Flynn

EDIT: Here's the specifics...

Fantasy Concepts said:
The following is designated Open Game Content: All game mechanics found in this product, including original game mechanics for character races, character classes, feats, spells, action points, equipment, combat, and environmental hazards, as well as game mechanics derived from the System Reference Document, Modern System Reference Document or Open Game Content generated from the sources listed under Section 15 of this product’s Open Gaming License v1.0a.

The Section 15 for Fantasy Concepts is quite long, as it must include the entire list of products mentioned in the Section 15 of the specific products that contains Open Game Content that I used for this work. When you look at it, realize that I didn't pull OGC from each source, but that more than three-quarters of the sources are listed simply because they are part of an earlier work's OGL Section 15. At this time, I choose not to reproduce the Section 15 in this message, simply because of length. If there is a desire to see it, however, I will do so.

With Regards,
Flynn

Last edited:

Flynn

First Post
So, is anyone considering writing a review? If so, please let me know, as I would love to check it out. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Flynn

Ry

Explorer
Thanks for the info! I've bought the .pdf but it will take a while to digest as I didn't follow the project throughout.

I will say this though: Your selection and use of public domain art was superb.

Flynn

First Post
Sentinel_Marshall said:
Excellent work, Im about half way through it at this point. Probably have my first game session this weekend. :D

Excellent. I can't wait to hear how it works out for you. :) Please feel free to share.

With Regards,
Flynn

richardgobble

First Post
Hey Flynn,

I purchased your product...and I am impressed.

I am having one game mechanic problem however that I was wondering if you could clear up for me.

You changed the mechanic of the reflex defense. Instead of adding character level to unarmed reflex defense, you add half character level.

This means that two equal warriors are VERY likely to hit each other at high levels. In the Saga system it seems (with all other things being equal) that one should expect to hit on a roll of 10 or better. In your system...the 10 or better is the same at first level...but then begins to drop as the character levels increase...until one only has to roll a 2 or better at 17th level to score a hit.

Am I missing something? I have tried to project likely equipment and feat purchases but I have found that all other bonuses that could be added have a tendency to balance each other out. And so I am left with the assumption that at higher levels all hits will land.

I want you to know that I think your work on this project is fantastic, but I am really hung up on this one part.

Thanks for any insight you might have,
Richard

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads