Fantasy Craft released (in PDF...)

Voadam

Legend
Fair enough.

I will point out one of the great things to come out of the Spycraft series which I assume is also in Fantasy craft is the minion creating system where you pick attributes (eg I want him to be strong and tough but dumb and slow, hitting hard but not that often) decide what challenge you want it to be for the party (ie average party level +2 or APL -1, etc.) then plug your choices into a template to generate an instant statblock allowing you to make quick customized NPCs or monsters with appropriate stats.

Adamant adapted this OGC for their d20 Modern Minion maker and I think for a fantasy monster one as well and it is a neat little system that I like a lot. It allows for quick useable statblocks without going through level and HD advancement calculations. Sort of a 4e monster maker for 3e.

So my questions are whether these are still there, have they changed, and how useable would they be in a 3e/pathfinder games are they (i.e. how much adaptation would it require)?

Krensky

First Post
It's still there, along with rules for converting OGL monsters and NPCs to FC stat blocks. I haven't looked at in depth, but it can probably be ran backwards.

Psion

Adventurer
Is Spycraft needed for play (like I believe M&M is for W&W), or is this a standalone system?

This has been addressed, but let me restate it to the point:

It's a standalone product with all you need to play. You don't need Spycraft.

You can use elements from the Spycraft family in your FC games as supplementary material.

pkapera

First Post
Hey everyone!

Glad to see all the interest. :)

A few things I wanted to point out...

- We don't yet know the print book's street date, and probably won't know until a little bit after the show. Keep in mind, there are a couple steps between having a printed book and it appearing on store shelves (namely, selling and shipping it to distributors, then having them sell and ship it to retailers). We sincerely doubt Fantasy Craft will street before September, and won't be surprised if it slips into October. We don't wish for this, of course, but we want everyone to be prepared for the possibility. For updates, watch our site or subscribe to our RSS feed (after my sig, below).

- The statement "Most of their supplements will likely be PDF only" is... not true. :) We're planning to talk more about this at our Declassified seminar but the up shot is that Crafty will be moving to a much more robust print library in the very near future. Yes, we'll continue to do PDFs do you'll see more from us in print, more often, than ever before. And yes, there will be more Fantasy Craft books.

- We have a setting coming called Godspawn, which will be packaged with our epic play rules ("epic" in terms of play style, not higher level). Once that's out, you'll absolutely be able to play Exalted with this system. You can now, but the rules aren't specifically built for it in several cases. This will be addressed soon.

Thanks!

pkapera

First Post
So my questions are whether these are still there, have they changed, and how useable would they be in a 3e/pathfinder games are they (i.e. how much adaptation would it require)?

This is a cornerstone of Fantasy Craft, actually, and the system's been significantly upgraded. We include an extensive set of conversion tools so you don't lose access to all the 3E/OGL stuff you already have, but the rules focus on converting to Fantasy Craft rather than away. If you're looking to bolt this system onto Pathfinder... It's doable, but it would take some work. Let me elaborate by way of explanation...

Fantasy Craft adversaries - whether they're "monsters" or drawn from the "civilized species" - are built by choosing the various bits and pieces - Size, Type, Traits (initiative, attack, and other bonuses, Defense, etc.), individual attacks (weapons, natural attacks, and extraordinary attacks), gear, qualities (special abilities and rules that apply to the creature), and when you're done you add up the "costs" of everything to get an XP value. This XP value becomes a reward in adventures when the characters defeat the adversary (whether they do it with violence or not). Ultimate customization, yet simple enough to learn and use in an evening.

We include a HUGE bestiary to get you started - over 120 base monsters spread over more than 75 categories plus over a dozen templates to adjust them with ease (ancient, clockwork, dire, kaiju, etc.) and the aforementioned build kit and OGL conversion rules as well. All built using our rules - not breaking them.
smiley.gif

Here's a clip of the relevant construction text from the front end of Chapter 6...

Building an NPC
Players sometimes use these rules to build followers (see page 98), contacts (see page 191), and hirelings (see page 190). Most of the time, however, this chapter is the province of the GM, who uses it to create all the other people and monsters the party meets and fights.

Building an NPC is a simple process that begins with a blank NPC Record Sheet. You can download one from www.craftygames. com or photocopy page 400 of this book. Then just follow these steps. Detailed instructions are provided for each step beginning on the pages listed in parentheses.

Step 0: Concept (right): Start with the basics. Are you building a person, animal, or monster? They all use the same rules but the choices to be made in later steps are very different. Think a bit about the NPC’s appearance, motivations, strengths, and weaknesses. Your initial thoughts should be enough to decide whether the NPC is standard or special, and whether it should be an adversary.

Step 1: Statistics (page 226): Like player characters, NPCs have attributes, skills, initiative and attack bonuses, Defense, saves, and other statistics. Unlike PCs, a streamlined system is used to generate an NPC’s stats, making them faster to build and easier to use. This system also produces part of the NPC’s total XP value.

Step 2: NPC Qualities (page 230): NPCs also differ from player characters in that they don’t gain Origins or class levels. Instead, they have access to “NPC qualities,” which grant them special abilities and powers and sometimes assign weaknesses as well. Each quality also has an XP value, which is applied to the base total generated in Step 1.

Step 3: Attacks (page 235): NPCs can use dozens of different attacks: weapons, claws, bites, breath weapons, paralyzing gazes, and more. Special attacks are handled in this step and add to the NPC’s XP value based on type, strength, range, and upgrades. Weapon-using NPCs are equipped in Step 4.

Step 4: Gear and Treasure (page 239): Gear assigned to a player-created NPC increases its total XP value, as the NPC is assumed to be using the gear in the party’s favor. Gear and treasure added to a GM-created character, however, has no XP value. This is because anything held by the GM’s characters either doesn’t affect the PCs (weapons carried by non-combatants, for example), or is seized by the party when the fighting is done (the case with nearly all adversaries). Seized gear and treasure is its own reward and therefore generates no XP.

Step 5: XP Value (page 240): This step is only important for adversaries and NPCs the players build. For adversaries, the total XP from Steps 1–3 becomes the adversary’s bounty, or reward the characters gain for defeating the NPC (in or out of combat). For player-built NPCs, the total XP from steps 1–4 must fall
within the amount allotted by the rule granting the follower, contact, or hireling.

All other NPCs — the myriad inhabitants of the world that don’t oppose or help the characters — don’t need an XP value; the GM simply assigns them whatever stats, qualities, and other features he feels best fits the needs of the setting and story.

samsimilian

Explorer
Nah, I think we should compare all the core rules pdfs we can with current prices.

When I spend my money on pdfs I consider topic, my interest, contents, system, and price. Whether it came out last week, 1 year ago, or 4 years ago does not really matter to me personally as a consumer.

:)

i agree with you as a customer but the fact is that new products always cost more than older ones. there is no way around this. so one solution would be to wait. to be honest FC is the first game i spend 30$ to buy a pdf, but it was worth it! i'm very content

Remove ads