Fantasy Flight Games Discontinuing RPGs?

Back in January, it emerged that FFG was laying off a lot of staff, including RPG staff. Now, GM Chris over at d20 Radio is reporting that the company is discontinuing all RPG development, including Star Wars, Legend of the Five Rings, and its relatively newer Genesys universal system. He says that all currently announced products will be produced, but in the long-term the RPG production is...

Back in January, it emerged that FFG was laying off a lot of staff, including RPG staff. Now, GM Chris over at d20 Radio is reporting that the company is discontinuing all RPG development, including Star Wars, Legend of the Five Rings, and its relatively newer Genesys universal system.

swe02_feature.jpg

He says that all currently announced products will be produced, but in the long-term the RPG production is ending. There's some speculation regarding sales of companies to each other (FFG's owner is Asmodee, which is owned by PAI Partners who bought it from Eurazeo), but it's only conjecture. More info at the link below!

FFG's Katrina Ostrander appears to have confirmed the news:

Back in January, FFG laid off over 14 staff, and shut down Fantasy Flight Interactive. Reports were that the tabletop RPG department had been "shuttered" -- reduced to a couple of full timers. It sounds now like the cut is more severe even than that.

ddaley

Explorer
So it's speculation on your part. Honestly, I've been asking fairly regularly since 5th ed started for both Gamma World and Star Frontiers to return

Ooooh... Star Frontiers would be great (I am unfamiliar with Gamma World, so no opinion on that one). I still have all of my old Star Frontiers stuff. I always liked Star Frontiers, though my group at the time wasn't as interested.

I found this new little time ago.

Asmodee welcomes ‘brand partnerships’ as it opens its IP catalogue for licensing

Asmodee has announced it is opening up its catalogue of intellectual properties to partner with other companies “in the interactive games market”.

---

If the is a new edition of Gamma World the lore would need a total reboot.

I doubt WotC to try the licence of L5R for a D&D version of Rokugan but adding the new races, monsters and classes from "Oriental Adventures". But maybe an alternate crossover universe would possible.

Reynard

Legend
The idea that Hasbro doesn't care about D&D is outdated given the cultural moment D&D is having and the success of streaming as entertainment.

I would not be the least bit surprised to see WotC get the license back, create a SW rpg "powered by D&D" with an accompanying streaming show that not only included known Star Wars celebrities but was also canon.

Maybe Hasbro/WotC could publish a future new edition of SW d20, even a sourcebook about the now no-canon expanded universe, or suggesting the multiverse is canon in SW RPG. But here it isn't about the lore/background/fluff, but the crunch of d20 system isn't ready to be compatible d20 future and D&D. But I would bet they are just working about that, because they want to publish new d20 TTRPG/CRPG set in sci-fi. And in Disney+ a game-live show of teenages playing SW d20, with a virtual tabletop and machinima animation, Critical Role version family-friend.

To create a d20 Future totally compatible with D&D is a true challenge for game designers because with or without firearms the characters may OP, or even usual civilian vehicles could be used to hit over an monster, for example a zombi.

Undrave

Legend
The idea that Hasbro doesn't care about D&D is outdated given the cultural moment D&D is having and the success of streaming as entertainment.

I would not be the least bit surprised to see WotC get the license back, create a SW rpg "powered by D&D" with an accompanying streaming show that not only included known Star Wars celebrities but was also canon.

I'd rather see them do that with one of their own brands first as a proof of concept.

Power Rangers (Hyper Force proved popular enough to be treated as an official part of the franchise on the same level as the Boom Studio comics) and GI Joe seem rife for the concept, considering the focus on team based action.

I have said some times in the past WotC wants a d20 system what allows adaptations of modern-tech franchises, for example Transformers... or videogames as Overwatch.

My advice for a G.I.Joe TTRPG is a fictional counterpart world to avoid controversies about some things from real life, and to allow more options to new type of stories.

Also they could create D&D characters based or inspired in Hasbro franchises, for example centauresses based in my little pony.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Also they could create D&D characters based or inspired in Hasbro franchises, for example centauresses based in my little pony.

Twilight Sparkle and her friends are fine just the way they are, thank you very much. :mad:

EDUT: There's also an official My Little Pony RPG already: Tails of Equestria (that's not a typo). Hasbro licensed out the rights to a European company (appropriately named River Horse).

But I am talking about something with style more shonen or young-adult, centauresses, but without those unnatural colors, with a look what would allow fiting in with another sword & sorcery heroines as Xena the warrior princess. And they wouldn't be a true adaptation, but something like the Ponyfinder line, but with arms. I don't like the idea playing sentient animals without fingers to use tools. And I suggest something like a no-canon limited edition to test the reaction by the fandom.

If they are toys you have to allow fans to create their own fanfic withought worring about the canon.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I found this new little time ago.

Asmodee welcomes ‘brand partnerships’ as it opens its IP catalogue for licensing

Asmodee has announced it is opening up its catalogue of intellectual properties to partner with other companies “in the interactive games market”.

---

If the is a new edition of Gamma World the lore would need a total reboot.

I doubt WotC to try the licence of L5R for a D&D version of Rokugan but adding the new races, monsters and classes from "Oriental Adventures". But maybe an alternate crossover universe would possible.

Need to sic @talien or @Morrus or @Abstruse onto the story!

Remove ads

Remove ads