FANTASY GROUNDS Virtual Tabletop's D&D License!

Officially licensed D&D electronic tools! For real! Fantasy Grounds, one of the leading virtual tabletops, has just released a set of D&D 5th edition licensed data packages. These include the D&D Basic Rules, packs for each of the core classes, and a pile of monster packs. Each states specifically that "This product is licensed from Wizards of the Coast." This appears to be the first officially licensed and branded electronic product. (thanks to Matchstick for the scoop)

Officially licensed D&D electronic tools! For real! Fantasy Grounds, one of the leading virtual tabletops, has just released a set of D&D 5th edition licensed data packages. These include the D&D Basic Rules, packs for each of the core classes, and a pile of monster packs. Each states specifically that "This product is licensed from Wizards of the Coast." This appears to be the first officially licensed and branded electronic product. (thanks to Matchstick for the scoop)

Check out their D&D wares here. They mention that "The DMG is still in the works, along with the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, The Rise of Tiamat and Princes of the Apocalypse." and that "The basic 5E ruleset will continue to be provided directly within Fantasy Grounds to all licenses. These purchasable options add a new graphics theme that is officially branded, along with the library module support, and whatever other enhancements we could squeeze in, like tokens or portraits or decals."

Here's the announcement:
We are proud to announce that we are officially licensed to sell D&D source material and content inside of Fantasy Grounds! This is the beginning of a great new partnership between SmiteWorks and Wizards of the Coast that will benefit gamers worldwide.

You can purchase the D&D Complete Core Class Pack with all the class, feats, spells and equipment or you can purchase individual classes only. You can also buy the monsters in packs or as the D&D Complete Core Monster Pack. These products have been converted to work really tightly with Fantasy Grounds to give you the best possible gaming experience - we know you're going to love them. They contain all the great artwork and content from the official products and all the smarts and integration to work with Fantasy Grounds. Not only will you get the same content that can be found in print, but you also get an exciting new Fifth Edition theme, adventures and content customized specifically for ease of play inside of Fantasy Grounds.

For Dungeon Masters and players on a budget, you might pick up a Player Customization Pack and one or two Class Packs of your choice. Dungeon Masters can often get by with just the Adventure of their choice and one or two Monster Packs.

Don't forget that players can gift purchases through Steam for Dungeon Masters who have linked their license on Steam.

WOTC5EDDBASICRULES.jpg

Hollow Man

Explorer
I do wish that the Basic ruleset was free. Granted $2.99 isn't a lot to pay, but if WotC offers the Basic pdf for free, why should I pay for it here, when I already have to pay for the license to use the program?

-HM

Nylanfs

Adventurer
There's some art work and tokens and such. Plus there's quite a bit of interconnection that a program allows that is done. It isn't just a copy and past.

Nylanfs

Adventurer
Plus if you don't want to pay the $3 there is s parser in their forums you can down load that puts the basic rules into fg for you for free.

Aenorgreen

First Post
I have to say I also do not understand how they came up with the pricing for some options. Why would the wizard cost $3, the barbarian $5 and the warlock cost $6? That seems odd to me. This is coming from a player who likes and uses FG btw.

lkj

Hero
I have to say I also do not understand how they came up with the pricing for some options. Why would the wizard cost $3, the barbarian $5 and the warlock cost $6? That seems odd to me. This is coming from a player who likes and uses FG btw.

Just speculating, but maybe the wizard is cheaper because a big chunk of the wizard (lots of spells and such) are part of the Basic rules.

AD

Inglorin

Explorer

Well, Cleric, Fighter, Rogue and Wizard are 2.99 each. See the pattern?

smiteworks

Explorer
Well, Cleric, Fighter, Rogue and Wizard are 2.99 each. See the pattern?

That's the reason. Each of these is already covered up to 80% or so in the D&D basic rules for $2.99. The new pack adds portraits and the expanded class information and abilities. You only get a single style of fighter in the basic rules set, but with the fighter pack, you get additional archetypes. For spellcasting classes, these are normally more expensive then non-casters due to the large volume of spells that come with them. Wizard and Cleric don't because they are already in the D&D basic rules.

Aenorgreen

First Post
So cost has nothing to do with the complexity of building the system for that class or size of options, but is based only on if they were in the starting set? Seems strange since sorcerer is almost the same class, and costs twice as much. But thanks for answering.

brehobit

Explorer
OK, I'm a player and I'm finding that the packs really lack functionality. Or, more likely, I can't figure out how to use them. Basically I get text, but even basic powers/abilities don't _do_ anything. I'm not even finding I can pick an Archetype.

• I can't find a way to select a fighting style. Let alone get one to automatically made the right changes.
  • I can't find a way to get second wind to auto heal. Instead I'm rolling a d10+3 and manually adding the hit points to my character. Figured this one out. Need to drag below weapons on the actions sheet. Creates "powers". Still doesn't work correctly by default. Needed to change things so that "stat" used is "Lvl". No idea why that's not the default here.
  • I can't find a way to add an Archetype. And I don't have a clue how to get Combat Superiority maneuvers to be selected. OK, can select an Archetype by dragging it to powers again. There are combat supriority options too, but I can't figure out what to do with the options.
Is the intent that I need to implement these myself? If so, is there a tutorial about how to do so? I get the sense that the group I play with, which has used FG for years and years, know the ins and outs of this. But for now, I feel like I just roll dice and apply the effects myself (or have the DM do it if I can't).

I can manage effects just fine. It's obvious what to put where (though the DM needs to add them AFAICT). But I can't figure out the rest and the tutorials don't really give me as much information as I'd like (plus I hate watching 20-40 minute tutorials when I know how to do 80% of it all already.

Help?

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads