• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fantasy Racial Statistics Poll

Which Option Best Describes Your Party?

• A Good Balance of Every Core Race

Votes: 26 9.5%
  • A Good Balance of Every Core Race + One Monster Player Character

Votes: 19 7.0%
  • A Good Balance of Every Core Race + A Few Monster Player Characters

• A Good Balance of Humans, Elves, Half-Elves, & Dwarves

• All or Mostly Dwarves

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • All or Mostly Elves and/or Half-Elves

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • All or Mostly Gnomes

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • All or Mostly Half-Orcs

• All or Mostly Halflings

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • All or Mostly Humans

Votes: 74 27.1%
  • All or Mostly Monster Player Characters

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Mostly Humans & Other

Votes: 40 14.7%
  • Mostly Humans & Half-Orcs

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Mostly Humans & Elves or Half-Elves

Votes: 36 13.2%
  • Mostly Humans & Dwarves

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • Mostly Elves or Half-Elves & Other

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Mostly Elves or Half-Elves & Half-Orcs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mostly Elves or Half-Elves & Dwarves

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Mostly Dwarves & Half-Orcs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mostly Dwarves & Other

Wombat

First Post
The Mad Kaiser said:
1] Do your villages and cities tend to be Human (if you have an all or mostly Human party) or do you (or the DM) create more unusual communities?

Humans make up over 80% of the population of my world, thus the cities tend to be pretty much humanocentric. There might be an enclave in a large city, or a few small villages given over to others, but for the most part these places are human-dominated.

2] How do you deal with monster-loathing villagers, if at all?

Err... depends on what you consider a "monster", I suppose. Certainly none of my players would play kobolds, orcs and the like; half-orcs are generally loathed and that might cause a problem for a PC half-orc, but no one has shown the least interest in playing one. That being said, many villages hate the village five miles away from them or people who speak with a different accent, much less language. Villages tend to be pretty insular and conservative in their outlook, much like RW villages.

3] If these towns and parties are mostly Human, would you like to see more Human variations (besides pseudo-european and pseudo-asian)? If so, would you prefer the new Humans to be modeled after real races, fantasy creations, or both?

Nope. Why? The variations are fairly slim. I don't differentiate between types of elves, dwarves, halfings, gnomes or orcs in my game (even though they might well come from very different nations and communities); I think the hyperdifferentiations serves no real purpose.

4] Would you like to see more examples of non-enemy Demi-Human and/or monster communities?

Not really. Doesn't fit my group's gaming style. Other people might well like it, though.

5] How often does war play a factor in your games?

Seldom, pretty much like real life. Yes, there may be wars every year, the they only affect a small area; for those people it is horrid, for everyone else it is mainly sad news. I have had a campaign where the players were caught up in a war; they hated the fact that an army of 3000 could easily devastate a party of 4 PCs. Sensibly, they ran.

Kalendraf

Explorer
I voted mostly Humans and Dwarves, but I could have probably voted mostly human. Here's the present make-up of the two groups I DM for:

Main Tuesday Group: 3 Humans, 2 Dwarves, 1 Half-orc
Weekend Group: 4 Humans, 1 Dwarf, 1 Half-elf

Herpes Cineplex

First Post
Looking over the games we've played, humans and half-elves are tied, followed closely by elves. Everyone after that is a native outsider of some kind (aasimar, genasi, etc.), in about the same proportion as elves, but scattered among the various subtypes without any duplicates. And then there's one halfling, which snuck onto the list because I'd vowed to play a character that I would not ordinarily under any circumstances play--a nonhuman spellcaster. So we ended up with an oddball halfling wizard on the list.

It's more interesting to look at what never gets played in our group: no dwarves, gnomes, or half-orcs. And at this point, I'm fairly sure that we will never see another druid or barbarian again, since the only player who actually liked those classes is gone.

--
the other classes are fairly evenly used, though
ryan

NewLifeForm

First Post
D&D Meets Chex Party Mix

My world is kinda odd (I avoid saying unique since I've never played in everyone else's campaign worlds), so my groups tend to be very mixed as far as species (Elf is a species; High, Wood and Aquatic are races).

Monsters such as Orcs, Goblins, Trolls and Ogres are not "evil" anymore then a particular group of humans are "evil". Therefore, while a good number of members of the knightly order that protects my Realms are Human (Maybe 45%), the remaining members are everything from Elves and Dwarves to Half-Ogres, Android-like Golems and Fire Elementals.

AD

Aust Diamondew

First Post
You forgot the option "awful balance of every core class plus a monster character." My last game was alot more balanced.
My current game is at level 5 and they:
1 Minotaur (plans to become a Psion)
1 Human Paladin
1 Dwarven Fighter

No primary divine or arcane caster and no rogue, they have alot of trouble with traps :\ .
It's still fun though :D

maggot

First Post
Over four campaigns, here is what I've seen:

3 Humans
2 Elves
1 Half-Orc

and

3 Humans
1 Half-Elf
2 Half-Orcs

and

2 Humans
1 Half-Elf
1 Dwarf

and

3 Humans
1 Elf
1 Half-Orc
1 Dwarf
1 Gnome

Humans, Half-Humans, and Elves. With an occasional dwarf, and a rare gnome. Never a halfling or monster.

haiiro

First Post
There isn't an option that describes the party IMC:

2 gnomes
1 human
1 elf
1 dreamborne (custom race)

Somehow, "mostly gnomes" just didn't seem like the right option. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads