Fantasy Setting Search? Semi-Finalists being published?

d20books

Rise of the Gamerati
I'm trying to figure out where the various WotC Fantasy Setting Search losers... err, I mean, Semi-Finalists are getting published so that I can keep my eyes open for their campaign settings. ;-)

The only one I've seen so far is Goodman Games' Morningstar.

There have to be others out there that got picked up by other publishers too.

wizardoftheplains

First Post
I was one of the 11 semi-finalists.
I plan on publishing my setting in the fall (Oct). The Sunset Kingdoms. It's the precurser to another setting that will appear in the same book.
I'm self-publishing in printed book form. No pdf. Probably 1500 copies.
It'll be usable with d20 3.5 but will also have its own system.
You'll be able to get it online or by mail-order.

With so many settings out there and more coming out, I'm trying for a point of differentiation in the story and the system.

gary

ps. I'll definently be picking up Morningstar (because it feels so rich), and of course, Conan.

Last edited:

Razuur

First Post
I thought Midnight was also a semi finalist.

I am not sure what you meant when you said that your proposal was a precursor to another setting in the same book. Can you explain that?

Do you mean a prequel? As in the same setting? Different?

Enquiring minds want to know!

Thanks,

Razuur

wizardoftheplains

First Post
Razuur said:

I am not sure what you meant when you said that your proposal was a precursor to another setting in the same book. Can you explain that?

Do you mean a prequel? As in the same setting? Different?

Enquiring minds want to know!

Thanks,

Razuur

Yes, prequel:) They'll be around 150 pages of the Sunset Kingdoms, followed by the same land 5000 years in the future (another 150 pages). A very different world by then. One's a golden age, one's more of a dark age (with a mystery attached). You can play in both ages under certain circumstances. Time travel, or as a descendant of you character from the first age. Mistakes made in the first age haunt players in the second.

I have the first age done, the second is about 1/3 done.

g

wizardoftheplains said:

Yes, prequel:) They'll be around 150 pages of the Sunset Kingdoms, followed by the same land 5000 years in the future (another 150 pages). A very different world by then. One's a golden age, one's more of a dark age (with a mystery attached). You can play in both ages under certain circumstances. Time travel, or as a descendant of you character from the first age. Mistakes made in the first age haunt players in the second.

I have the first age done, the second is about 1/3 done.

g

That's a seriously cool idea. I've done something similar in my homebrew--that is, I ran a few campaigns, then years later ran a few set 2,000 years later--but the notion of doing such a thing in a published setting didn't occur to me.

For what it's worth, I'm both a gamer and a writer in the industry--and of all the upcoming campaign settings I've heard about (not counting those I'm involved with, of course ;)), this is one of the few I'm actively looking forward to seeing.

d20books

Rise of the Gamerati
Razuur said:

FFG's Semi-Finalist setting is called Dawnforge, and they don't have any information about it at their website yet.

Maybe they'll chime in.

Re: Ye Olde Dawnforge Author Chimes In

d20Dwarf said:
What would you like to know? :)

Well, I for one would like to hear anything that's not been mentioned in the blurb many months ago.

Like.... What are the races like? What's magic like? How big is the world (planet, continent)? You know...anything ;)

I think Dawnforge sounds cool, but I would like some more details so I know whether or not I have to postpone the start of my new campaign.
There are already several settings out there tempting me (fx. Morningstar, Midnight, Mystaros...what's that with them "m's"?).

Now, I know that you don't have access to Morningstar, but could you tell what makes Dawnforge special, especially compared to what we know of Morningstar (High Magic, Golden age is now, dark forces gathering etc.)?

Thanks!

Remove ads