FAST HELP NEEDED! Barbarian fast movement plus dwarf or med armour

Darklone

Ok. A dwarf got a movement of 20ft, 15ft in med armour. Barbarian movement adds 10ft of movement.

I would assume that a dwarf barbarian has a movement of 30ft and 20ft encumbered.

A DM says: Dwarf listed speed is 15ft in medium armour, so he moves 25ft.

I am pretty sure I read my answer somewhere (or at least the question) does anyone know the exact passage?

Btw: How fast moves a human barbarian in medium armour? 30ft? 25ft? Is it somewhere in the Monster Manual (e.g. for giants in heavy armour)?

Targos

First Post
armor & movement

You can find your answer in the armor section of the PH. (Pg 104)
Medium creatures move at 20 in medium or heavy armor and small creatures (dwarves too) move at 15.

Gromm

First Post
Re: armor & movement

Targos said:
You can find your answer in the armor section of the PH. (Pg 104)
Medium creatures move at 20 in medium or heavy armor and small creatures (dwarves too) move at 15.

+10 for barbarian- thus a barb dwarf has 25' movement in medium armor.

A human barb in medium armor moves 30'.

Maybe I'm missing why this is a question, just read the barbarian fast move ability.

Last edited:

Bagpuss

Legend
The question comes because does he add the +10' before or after working out speed reduction due to armour or load.

The answer has to be after since there are no values for a character with speed 40ft (normal speed for human barbarian) before armour and load are taken into account the table only covers the two base speeds.

Hence his assumption is incorrect and the DM is correct. If it was the other way round you couldn't work out the speed of a human barbarian in medium from the information in the PHB.

Christian

Explorer
Well, you could, via some interpretation and the FAQ. Medium armor gives you the same movement rate as with a Medium load, and the FAQ shows how to calculate that for creatures with different movement rates ...

It actually wouldn't matter for a human Barbarian (move rate for an encumbered 40' move creature is 30'), but for a dwarf it changes the encumbered move from 25' to 20'.

And FTR, this is how I would run it. But I wouldn't argue with a DM who did it the other way ...

orbitalfreak

First Post
Crothian said:
The Dwarf Barbarian has a base move of 30. Then armor effects that speed.

That's how I would run it too.

Original Speed = 20 ft.
Barbarian = +10ft.
New Base Speed = 30ft.

Therefore:

Normal speed = 30ft.
Medium Armor/Encumbrance = 20 ft.
Run speed = 120ft. or 150ft. with the Run feat.

Darklone

Yeah well

I wondered if a dwarf with movement 30 (since barbarian) should be faster than a human with movement 30 if both wear medium armour, I thought not, the DM didn't think about that ... well...

Remove ads