D&D (2024) My proposed fix for the Monk

ChameleonX

Explorer
I don't really get the hate for Psionics. Maybe it's just that I really got into D&D in 4th edition, where Psionic power was really well defined and differentiated from the other power sources, and the Monk was a Psionic class in 4e.

Is it just people's distaste comes from earlier editions where it was basically just "magic, but sci-fi?" Or like, some super complex sub system that was just tacked onto the game like an afterthought?

I don't really get the hate for Psionics. Maybe it's just that I really got into D&D in 4th edition, where Psionic power was really well defined and differentiated from the other power sources, and the Monk was a Psionic class in 4e.

Is it just people's distaste comes from earlier editions where it was basically just "magic, but sci-fi?" Or like, some super complex sub system that was just tacked onto the game like an afterthought?
For me it originates from early editions because I originate from early editions! It has less to do with the mechanics of the edition and more to do with the concept. It is trying to be magic, without being magic. Though I see how that seems moot when you came from 4e as some people labeled a lot of powers that way (calling martial powers “magic” too) in 4e.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I personally like the idea of having a single "Internal energy" power source, and that the Monk, the Psion, AND the Sorcerer should all fall into it.

Now I'm not crazy about the word 'psionic' myself and can acknowledge that while Ki/Chi/Qi is defined as "circulating life energy" in Chinese philosophy (after my quick google definition search), I don't know if that re-appropriation for all "internal energy" D&D classes makes sense or is really appropriate.

If we wanted to choose a synonym word for internal energy to use for the power source to go along with Arcane, Divine, and Primal... I'd say we'd either go with Mystical, Preternatural, Psychal, or Cerebral.

Of course... doing this would piss off a lot of people-- the Psionic stans who don't want to believe psionics is "magic", the Sorcerer stans who don't want to think the internal magical power of a sorcerer is the same internal power the Monk or Psions have, and Monk fans who want to maintain that Eastern tradition that isn't psionics nor the arcane magic of the sorcerer. But it's exactly why all of these classes are kind of wishy-washy to me in my opinion-- we apparently need to have three completely different types of "internal energy" of a supernatural type... meanwhile Wizards, Cleric, Druids, Bards, Warlocks, Paladins, and Rangers all just use "Magic" in its various forms. Pick a lane people! ;)

mellored

Legend
I don't really get the hate for Psionics.
Me either.

Especially since mind flayers where back in 1975. And githyanki where is 1981. So it's not exactly new to the game.

Perhaps renaming it "farm realm power" would solve the issue.

Monk of the far realm, who is a children of mind flayer spawn or something.

For me it originates from early editions because I originate from early editions! It has less to do with the mechanics of the edition and more to do with the concept. It is trying to be magic, without being magic. Though I see how that seems moot when you came from 4e as some people labeled a lot of powers that way (calling martial powers “magic” too) in 4e.
In Pathfinder 1st edition, psionics did become another form of magic. Psychic Magic – d20PFSRD It works just like arcane magic and divine magic, but instead of using verbal, somatic and material spell components, it relies on Thought and Emotion as spell components.

As for the Monk class in 5e, perhaps WoTC could unchain it? PF1 came out with an unchained version of the Monk class several years ago that was supposedly easier to play and was more versatile than the original.

fuindordm

Adventurer
In Pathfinder 1st edition, psionics did become another form of magic. Psychic Magic – d20PFSRD It works just like arcane magic and divine magic, but instead of using verbal, somatic and material spell components, it relies on Thought and Emotion as spell components.
Oh don't even get me started on components!
There's no good reason for every magical or psionic tradition to be based on words and gestures.

Remove ads