Favored Soul From Cleric

ThirdWizard

First Post
I think this change would only make the problem worse except that now the other Players couldn't complain.

Favored Soul spells known: 9/6/6/6/6/6/5/4/3

Cleric spells prepared/day with your 26 Wis: 6/7+1/7+1/7+1/5+1/5+1/4+1/4+1/3+1

You will have 3 more 0th level spells, 2 less 1st level spells, 2 less 2nd level spells, 2 less 3rd level spells, the same number of 4th level spells, the same number of 5th level spells,the same number of 6th level spells, one less 7th level spell, and one less 8th level spell.

Now add in the fact that you can drop for cure spells as a cleric but you'll have to use your known slots for them for favored soul, and you see that you're actually getting less spell options as a favored soul as you are as a cleric. Plus, as your Wis increases you'll get the option to prepare increased different spells as a cleric but not as a favored soul. Lastly you won't be able to tailor your spells to the particular situation at hand, so you'll be stuck with a "generic" spell list at all times even when as a cleric you could specialize based on the situation at hand.

No, IMO this will actually end up causing more of the problems you're experiencing instead of less.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
mikebr99 said:
Some spells I use a lot, for my 16th level Cleric (clr7/SaE4/DivD5)... I like frontline duty.

8th
greater spell immunity
Stormrage (optional)
I've found Mass Deathward to be absolutely necessary.

Magesmiley

Explorer
I don't think I'd do a Favored Soul either. It wouldn't cure the problems really (save maybe taking too much time picking spells, which strikes me as a weak reason to switch classes).

I would have to concur with the Scribe Scroll comments. That is really what you want to do. Just about any caster who prepares spells will find that they have a number of spells which fall into the category of... "Gee I wouldn't normally want this spell, but in this one case I absolutely have to have it". Those are the spells that go on scrolls. Dimensional Anchor would be a good example here. :D

If you're concerned about saving throws, make a couple of scrolls. If they make their first save, hit 'em with another one. Another thought might be to see if your DM will ok creating a staff with a number of these types of spells. The advantage of a staff over a scroll is that you get to use your own stats instead of the default ones which a scroll uses (which should net you higher save DCs).

The multiple spell lists are a good plan too. Have a couple of them made out and if you need to customize one for anything just take whichever list is the closest and scratch a couple off to swap out.

RobotRobotI

First Post
I dunno how helpful the idea is, but when I play casters that memorize spells, I just put together several lists, and update them when I get new spells. I always had the following lists ready: Overland Travel, Subterranean, Urban, Dungeoncrawling, Combat.

Overland Travel is obvious - these were the spells that would be memorized at the beginning of every day during overland travel. They covered quality of life and utility spells primarily, with a tiny bit of combat thrown in, just in case. Subterranean was more specific, with spells that would be of obvious use underground. Things like stoneshape. There was also a heavier emphasis on combat, as bad things tend to be underground. Urban was the stuff I'd memorize if I knew we'd be in a city for a few days - spells that would make dealing with NPCs easier, still pretty heavy on the utility. Less combat spells, 'cause usually you won't be fighting too much in town. Dungeoncrawling was a smooth mix of combat and utility spells, pretty much nothing in the way of quality of life or NPC-flavoured spells. Things to remove status effects would be pretty common in this list. The last list, Combat, was pretty much nothing but in-combat magic. Lots of Inflict flavoured stuff, buffs, summons... Good for when you're well aware of impending combat.

Of course, that's pretty much useless when your DM is throwing curveballs at you; in that case, find a generic spell list that you're comfortable with, and tell your party to shut up if they rag you for not having a given spell handy.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
I do not have sufficient experience with high level Clerics to give you a definitive list off the top of my head. If you tell us a bit more details about your Cleriic, I am sure the collective wisdom of ENWorld will come up with something reasonable.

Useful info would be:
* what your Domains are
* what your feats are
* outline the make up of the party
* guestimate what portion of your encounters are hacknslash/dungeoncrawling
* any particular foes that common in your campaign
* expansion books allowed

afata5

First Post
Alright :)

So favored soul is not the way to go :) I'm pretty much convinced now :) So now I have to make some spell lists and scolls :) I'll post the lists that I make (in dnd rules right? or is there another section) and i'll ask for a basic review. Thank you all so very much for the help!!

-Alex

Dross

Explorer
As several others have wrote, a list is a must. For as many situations you deem appropriate.

Also, just before praying for spells, ask the other party members what spells could be taken (since they already "know" what spells you should memorise ;) )

Oh, and often reply: Yes I did memorise that spell, but that is the spell I used to heal you earlier, would you prefer not to be healed next time? :D

Shadeus

First Post
I think you are on the right path. Fine-tuning your spell list is the way to go. Find out the spells that are nice to have in a pinch, but where your caster level isn't a factor. Those are the ones to put on scrolls. I have a 13th-level cleric and here's his spell list of must haves:

1st: protection from evil
2nd: silence, sound burst
3rd: mass resist elements, searing light, remove curse
4th: delay death, greater resistance
5th: spell resistance
6th: heroes' feast (very important), greater dispel magic, heal
7th: holy word

As far as what I would put to scrolls: lesser restoration, restoration, remove fear (if heroes' feast gets dispelled), neutralize poison (if heroes' feast gets dispelled), remove paralysis, death ward.

afata5

First Post
Alright, it took a little while but I will now post a spell list that I generally use and will hopefully get feedback on them :) Thanks again to all of you for your advice/time/help!!

-Alex

Remove ads