• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite Change in any D&D edition

Sadrik

First Post
Getting rid of thaco, level restrictions, different damage for weapons based on siz of creature, weapon armor charts, speed factor etc.

I noticed a lot of people like the 3e save changes... I liked how the old save mechanics worked in ad&d. I didn't like how they were set up, poison paralyzation death magic etc. Fortitude, Reflexes and Will make more sense there... But the idea you actually get better as you level up at your save was way more balanced than 3e. In 1e/2e when you were high level you almost always made your save, so you could have high level save or die mechanics around without it being overly unbalanced. In 3e a high level wizard with a 30 INT casting a high level spell made you fail your save no matter what level you were. So I like the idea of decoupling the opposed aspect and having it be just a function of level to save. I also don't like the 4e method of saves as attacks, it steals some of the drama away, "I have to make this save!" etc.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads