• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite Dump Stat for Purely Roleplaying Reasons

Allegro

First Post
In games that I have played in charisma seems to be the favorite dump stat for mechanical reasons. I always thought that creating a dull heroic character was a little bit weird but then again I tend to like charisma focused characters. I like to choose wisdom for my dump stat because in general I think it is down right foolish to enter a dungeon, cave or crypt or engage in battle against an enemy of greater or equal power. So here is my question if you had no mechanical, class, or race reasons to pick any stat over another one, which stat would you use as your dump stat?

lukelightning

First Post
I like to dump wisdom for my wizards; their Will saves can take the hit, and it gives you an excuse to be impetuous. "Why did you phantasmal killer the noble's horse?" "Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time..."

And I like to dump strength, of course, because I like my wizards to be weaklings, and also it gives them an excuse to be lazy. "Ok, I can help you guys clear the rubble out of the room to get to the tunnel...let me grab this small stone...unnnngH! Whuuuuuuaaaa! IIiirk! *phew* that was heavy, how much do you think it weighed?" "Uh, 5 pounds."

Needless to say, the only thing keeping the rest of the party from booting the wizard is the fact that he's the only one who can cast dispel magic and identify items...

3d6

Explorer
Wisdom. Unwise characters are amusing. I end up playing unwise character often, actually. Generally, if I have a good base Will save, I have a bad Wisdom. (My fighter-types never have less than a 14, of course. Being dominated at every turn isn't a lot of fun.)

Snapdragyn

Explorer
Wisdom, definitely. My headstrong bard was a blast to play -- pretty as heck, knew it, ran into every battle first. Once he even snuck away from guard duty to go into a secret & potentially dangerous area we'd discovered ahead of the rest of the group... waiting for morning & the cleric's augury was just too boring! Hey, he lived... just.

I actually like to dump Wis regardless of Will save. There's just nothing like a confused, raging, greatsword wielding barbarian to liven things up; & you can get miles of gritty roleplay out of his grief when he regains control & realizes -- oops! -- he beheaded someone in the party while he was going bonkers! (I had him take out his dagger & shear his hair on the spot, insist on building a rough cairn for the body, & refuse to let anyone take ANY items from the corpse.)

Ah, good times, good times. :cool:

tahsin

First Post
Ok, no one else will so I gotta say it.

For Fighters, I like 'em DUMB. Intelligence dumping all the way! Too few skills to really put to use anyway.

What really makes me sad is that you can't dump Con and expect to live long at all... I've tried it a couple of times, and you just get absolutely murdered SO fast.

The frail wizard... Beaten to death by a goblin, 1st level.
The little old monk... Eaten by an owlbear, 3rd level.
The afflicted healer... Swallowed by a bullette, 7th level.
The cursed fighter.... Mauled by a troll, 5th level.

It is just so harsh, that negative hit point modifier.

Aside from trying my luck with a low con... If I am going to have one sad stat, its usually going to be Int or Wis for physical types, or Str for spellcaster types.

Later
silver

Ace

Adventurer
I don't dump stat anything below a 10 -- I don't like the results. I also usually won't play below 32 point buy

The closest I have to a dump stat is wisdom. A 10 WIS makes you a regular joe and I can grock that -- Charisma is OK too -- a 10 char is once again a regular Joe

If I was playing with a fixed array -- like the Elite array or whatever I'd dump stat Charisma -- while I like to play social charcters usually it might be fun to play a vicous wallflower type who stsicks out only when they are killing

just in case you were curious if I were playing 25 point buy my character would look like this
every single time

Human
Rogue X
Fighter 2

Str 12
Int 14
Wis 10
Dex 13
Con 14
Cha 10

by 20th level I would have Dex 18 of course

If somone insisted on a spellcaster it would be