• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite Dump Stat for Purely Roleplaying Reasons

genshou

First Post
Strength. But I mostly play Mages and thieving/face Rogues. It's kind of sad when a character's light load is 13 lbs., though. :(

I only used Wisdom as a dump stat once, and I never wanted to since. That poor Rogue just couldn't make his Spot checks....

As my characters gain in level, though, I prefer them to overcome their weaknesses.

Lord Ipplepop

First Post
For me, it depends on the character and what his/her concept/back story is as to where I dump.
Even though I used to play Paladins all the time, and used INtelligence as the dump (as per 1ed), or clerics, and dumped into Dex or Int (for no real reason at all), my last two characters have been Bards... and I used Wis as the dump stat for the first one, and Str for the current one, because that is the way their concepts were written. (The current is an actor who "suppliments" his income from time to time. Int was needed to keep him from doing anything stupid, Wis to make him realize something was stupid, Dex for the Rogue skills, Charisma to get out of trouble when he does something stupid, and Con to make him survive doing something stupid.)

Zelda Themelin

First Post
Wisdom or at time Strength

However, I'd prefer to be sort of stubborn, and resisting charms badly doesn't quite fit the bill, when I play using D&D rules. So, I usually put 10 for wis, and take iron will. I want my character lisence to do unwise things. I don't like play careful. And my late three characters had kind of high wisdow requirement (monk, cleric and shaman).

And I like to play my characters as very curious.

Then again, since even animals have high wisdom. And spot requires, so dunno.

Low Str kinda suits most of my rogue and mage concepts. Their second lowest stat is usually wisdom though.

I think I start to dump charisma.

Henry

Autoexreginated
My favorite fighter I've ever played had a 6 in WIS. Smart guy, but as unobservant as a post, and mis-read everyone's intentions. Yells to the rogue good luck while hiding and sneaking, accuses the elf wizard of cannibalism when making a remark on how "yummy" a bar maid looked, and was a plaything anytime an enemy wizard DID show up. I loved playing him, because it wasn't a very far stretch for me. :D

Kid Socrates

First Post
Dexterity, actually. My heroes tend to have trouble slipping or tripping when attacking, and anytime my dwarven paladin mucked up a charge or missed a swing, it was because his footwork was off or he got off balance when swinging his hammer.

Goblyn

Explorer
I dump whatever stat fits with what I'm making at the time. The most fun I've had due to a dump stat was a character who had a CON of 2 ... and a d6 hit die. There was a certain thrill in knowing that every single battle can and probably will be his last. He never did die, though it was a short campaign.

Usually I favour dumping strength, all in all.

Remove ads