• Freeport

Votes: 60 50.0%
  • Five Fingers

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • Sasserine

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I'm Brannich Blacksmoke!

Votes: 9 7.5%

With three pirate-themed cities being detailed in the relatively recent past, which one is your favorite?

Just curious here. Nothing deep. Feel free to expound your love and why your pick is the best if you want, though.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
City of Adventure loses points for some of the sillier elements (repeated in Denizens of Freeport) but regains points for Creatures of Freeport, not to mention the original Freeport Trilogy and Crisis in Freeport. Of the pirate cities, it's the best supported and has the longest history with 3E.

I like Freeport a lot, but I agree that it occasionally seems a tad silly. I think it could stand a little bit of darkening up. I've been reading the Pirate's Guide recently (just picked it up from the GR booth at GenCon) and as I've been doing so, I can't help but to think that combining it with a bit more of the Scuttlecove vibe and a few details from that city might make it more up my alley.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Five Fingers is, indeed, all that and a bag of chips. I love Freeport as well, but I'd probably use FF first in my own campaign.

Laman Stahros

First Post
Hobo said:
I like Freeport a lot, but I agree that it occasionally seems a tad silly. I think it could stand a little bit of darkening up. I've been reading the Pirate's Guide recently (just picked it up from the GR booth at GenCon) and as I've been doing so, I can't help but to think that combining it with a bit more of the Scuttlecove vibe and a few details from that city might make it more up my alley.
Did you miss the CoC elements to Freeport? Just puff them up and it is dark enough for anyone. :D That is how I darken it.

catsclaw227

First Post
My Savage Tide players really like Sasserine, but Freeport is the classic. The Pirates Guide takes out the silliness and brings it back to the way it was when the trilogy first came out.

It's. Really. Cool.

Laman Stahros said:
Did you miss the CoC elements to Freeport? Just puff them up and it is dark enough for anyone. :D That is how I darken it.
No, I didn't. However, that's only one element of the setting. And honestly, Yig, the Crawling Chaos and the Yellow Sign are old favorites, but they're kinda cliched.

And the pirate's guide still has enough silliness for me.

Patrick O'Duffy

First Post
Hobo said:
I like Freeport a lot, but I agree that it occasionally seems a tad silly. I think it could stand a little bit of darkening up.

One of the things we tried to do with the Pirate's Guide was exactly that - to make it a more consistently serious, darker setting (albeit one with occasional touches of humour).

And I think we succeeded in that aim, but then I'm biased.

Patrick O'Duffy said:
One of the things we tried to do with the Pirate's Guide was exactly that - to make it a more consistently serious, darker setting (albeit one with occasional touches of humour).

Really, really looking forward to seeing how you went about that, once my copy (finally) gets here. :)

As to the poll, yeah, I had to go with Freeport. Sasserine is really cool in the context of the STAP, but I don't think it stands on its own as well as FP.

And I have to admit, the name Five Fingers is not ringing a bell. Source?

Remove ads