• 3e

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • 4e

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • 5e

Votes: 10 24.4%

Sacrosanct

Legend
This is the start to a future survival thread of Chromatic dragons. But first, I'd like to see which version from which edition will be represented in that survivor poll. I don't know if it would make a difference, but it might because we all might be partial to one version over another. This is based on whatever reason you want: aesthetics, lore, mechanics, etc. Simply vote for which edition you liked best.

The candidates:

1e/2e (they were pretty much the same between editions)
4f724d0e8b5384e676815a08611d6b2b--ice-dragon-dragon-art.jpg

3e:
latest

4e:

5e:
latest

Tony Vargas

Legend
Is this art or stats?

Either way, voting AD&D for 1e, not 2e. 2e took the 'self defense for dragons' thing too far, and I feel the 1e MM line art had a charm to it that no subsequent edition could.

But if I had to vote on just the art you posted, it'd have to be 3e. The AD&D one if just goofy, and the 4e & 5e look like they have beaks.

Satyrn

First Post
Has WotC actually changed the dragons at all in the since time they "rebranded" then for 3e? I'm not sure rebranding is the right word, or even that they did anything more at the time than give consistent guidelines to their artists.

Anyway, my vote is for the 3e white dragon because I have a mini of it. Same for the blues and reds.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Has WotC actually changed the dragons at all in the since time they "rebranded" then for 3e? I'm not sure rebranding is the right word, or even that they did anything more at the time than give consistent guidelines to their artists.

Anyway, my vote is for the 3e white dragon because I have a mini of it. Same for the blues and reds.

3e seems to be when they went to super uber muscle dragons, and WoTC stuck with it ever since. Not a fan myself, but whatevs.

dave2008

Legend
[MENTION=15700]Sacrosanct[/MENTION] , as I voted for 1e I feel I have to point out that the image you provided was for the dragonlance variant of the white dragon, not the standard version from the MM. Also, there is almost no difference between the 3e-4e-5e versions.

All of the above is strictly regarding the art.

Sacrosanct

Legend
[MENTION=15700]Sacrosanct[/MENTION] , as I voted for 1e I feel I have to point out that the image you provided was for the dragonlance variant of the white dragon, not the standard version from the MM. Also, there is almost no difference between the 3e-4e-5e versions.

All of the above is strictly regarding the art.

What's the difference between the 1e dragons and the 1e dragonlance dragons? I didn't know there was one that I can recall. Easley's dragons had a bit more muscly look to them over Elmore's but I don't recall any actual difference between AD&D and Dragonlance.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases