Pathfinder 1E Favourite adventure path?

Crothian

First Post
Of the ones I've played or run Council of Thieves was my favorite. There are a lot of great NPCs in it, the setting of the city is fantastic, and since the characters never really leave the city there is a lot that can be done to really enhance the AP. Sadly if one doesn't do that the AP is not that great as the stats for opponents are most the time way to easy and AP itself fails to really highlight the city and factions in it.

Without changing much I really enjoyed Kingmaker. The kingdom building rules are not the best but they work well enough. The best way to not abuse them is to not abuse them. The mass combat rules were what I really disliked but luckily they are not as important. I really enjoyed the exploration aspect of it. The plot of it needs some help or else book 6 seems to come out of left field.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I've only been a player in two - Rise of the Runelords (original 3.5 version) and Serpent's Skull.

I enjoyed Runelords more, but only to the 2nd module before a TPK.

We did finish Serpent's Skull, but while I liked parts of it, I can't recommend it.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
From a my perspective, having run all of 1, parts of 3 (so far - expect to be running more soon), and played most of another 1 and having read several more, my 5 favorites are:

1. Curse of the Crimson Throne
2. Kingmaker
3. Second Darkness
4. Skull and Shackles
5. Rise of the Runelords

I've run all of Council of Thieves and, though it has some good stuff to it (the opera is fantastic), I thought too many chapters were kind of weak. A LOT more could be done for Westcrown as a setting, if you ask me. Overall, I think that AP runs best as a more leisurely campaign with a lot of city-based adventuring interspersed throughout, unfortunately, it's one of the shortest APs as far as leveling goes. So it's not in my top 5.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
for me Rise of the Runelords or Council of Thieves, just had a lot of fun with them and they challenged my players and gave me enough hooks to keep everyone entertained.

Crothian

First Post
We did finish Serpent's Skull, but while I liked parts of it, I can't recommend it.

Agree. I think it had one of the best first books and then some neat things here and there but by the time we got into books 4 and 5 it was getting boring and tiresome.

Wrathamon

Adventurer
Most of the adventure paths start of great. I agree on Serpent's skull as well, great start but drags and stats to get grindy imo. But, I feel 6 adventures in a path is too much to keep the steam going.

Interesting that their first Adventure path is considered best of at least Top 5. Why weren't they able to outdo it?

I liked the first adventure in Second darkness and I liked Kingmaker's premise but never ran it or played it, but it I bought it hoping someday I might.

Gobelure

Villager
I ran for myself a meta-analysis of Paizo's customers comments. It strangely agrees with my own perspective, so I give you the ranking as well as my comments. The higher the number, the better.

9./10. Rise of the Rune Lords. Agree, awsome stuff. Didn't need too much tinkering to suit my needs.
9./10. Curse of the Crimson Throne. Agree, awsome stuff, even if I dislike episodes 4-5. To me, the campaign should have been shorter, 4 episodes would have been sufficient. As a player, I guessed since tome 2 who was the super-villain. Unfortunately, we had to wait to reach the appropriate level to confront it.
8./10. Skull and Shackles
8./10. Reign of Winter. Probably made this rank due to episode 5.
6./10. Kingmaker. I was surprised it didn't ranked higher as it is one of the most discussed campaign on the forums.
5./10. Second Darkness. Underrated IMHO. I find the arc of episodes 3 to 6 awsome, with the exception of the 5th episode, really bland - but easy to shortcut.
4./10. Wrath of the Righteous.
4./10. Shattered star
4./10. Council of Thieves. Episode 2 is awsome though.
4./10. Carrion Crown
3./10. Legacy of Fire. Agree, it is rather weak as a campaign, except the great episode 4.
3./10. Serpent's skull
1./10. Jade Regent

Dog Moon

Adventurer
It's 3.5 but my favorite AP was Age of Wurms. The other ones I played in:

Curse of the Crimson Throne: Didn't quite get through it [group problems, not AP problems] but what we played was good.

Kingmaker: Didn't actually play it, but my DM DM'ed it for another group and thought the whole Kingdom Building ruleset was terrible.

Wrath of the Righteous: Was neat, but the whole mythic thing shouldn't have occurred. And the one little section for Mass Combat and for Downtime rules was terrible.

Council of Thieves: I liked the first book; everything after that was kinda meh. And the boss was terrible. Our group was in this big statue thing and were beating the crap out of a bunch of these dudes. When the DM told us we were fighting the boss we were like "Wait, seriously?"

Legacy of Fire: Wasn't bad. Maybe it was our group, but there wasn't too much memorable about it. Wasn't super awesome, but wasn't terrible either.

Serpent's Skull: Was interesting for a while until around book 5-6 when it got REALLY repetative.

Jade Regent: Started off okay, but the Caravan Rules were TERRIBLE! We never made it through the Caravan part. Maybe at some point we could have just skipped that and got to our destination, but that whole experience made our DM not care about the campaign either, which sucked because he was totally excited about the campaign until that point.

Never played the others.

Mr.E_Danger

First Post
I have played in Carrion Crown, which was pretty fun. We were a large group at the time, so I think the GM added items as needed for us. Good mix of undead stuff, but other fun thinks like lycanthropes, abberations, ect...

read through Skulls and Shackles as well as Jade Regent, both seemed pretty fun. i did not play in any of them, but a lot of fun ideas lie within.

Currently running Mummy's Mask for a group, about halfway through book 2. The players are having a lot of fun and I am enjoying running it as well. Good mix of undead and other creatures, some fun other mechanics. Starts out just as a tomb exploration campaign that players like, moving into the main story which has been fun thus far.

Remove ads