D&D 5E Favourite DnD Setting

GreyLord

Legend
Not a lot of options if you keep it to 5e settings. That’s, what, Sword Coast, Ravenloft, Eberron, Exandria, and the MtG planes (Ravnica, Theros, and Strixhaven)? Of the options, I’d say Ravenloft.

My actual favorite setting is the 4e implied setting (Nerath/Nentir Vale/Points of Light)

Well, listed in the Early 5e materials (DMG, SCAG) are Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Dragonlance, and Eberron.

Maybe they aren't as fully fleshed out, but they are commented as official settings.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I don't disagree...Nentir Vale is pretty good, and Exandria has a lot of roots in it...but not everyone would agree that the 4E default setting is a "newer" setting.
I mean, it's what, 15 years old at most? I feel like compared to D&D's settings that are pushing 30-40 years, Eustace is pretty dang new. Heck, even Exandria is almost 10 years old now (Critical Role started in December 2012). If Exandria is new, it's a little weird to say Eustace is old.

(I will never not find it funny that people started calling 4e's implied setting "Eustace.")

JEB

Legend
5E official settings: I've only properly read SCAG (and assorted Realms products), Theros, and Ghosts of Saltmarsh; of those three, I guess the Realms is my top pick, but only by default. While I've skimmed the other setting books and have some general thoughts, it doesn't feel right to rank them formally until I've read them in full.

5E 3P settings: Haven't read any, though I have some on my heap.

All official settings: Classic Ravenloft (2E/3E) #1, Planescape (2E) #2.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Well, listed in the Early 5e materials (DMG, SCAG) are Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Dragonlance, and Eberron.

Maybe they aren't as fully fleshed out, but they are commented as official settings.
I wouldn’t really count a passing reference as making it “a 5e setting.” But, I suppose Ghosts of Saltmarsh was set in Greyhawk. Dragonlance is most likely coming soon too. The other two I already mentioned.

GuyBoy

Hero
I didn’t like 4e, but Nentir Vale was a brightly shining point of light in terms of settings.
I like Midgard and Eberron too, but Greyhawk will always be my number one because it reflects when I started playing.

Rogerd1

Adventurer
5E official settings: I've only properly read SCAG (and assorted Realms products), Theros, and Ghosts of Saltmarsh; of those three, I guess the Realms is my top pick, but only by default. While I've skimmed the other setting books and have some general thoughts, it doesn't feel right to rank them formally until I've read them in full.

5E 3P settings: Haven't read any, though I have some on my heap.
If they're licensed then they are official, surely?
What 3PP do you have to read?

Remove ads