Feat: Armored Offense

First Post
Armored Offence [Fighter]
Prerequisite: Wis 13, fighter
Benefit: You can now treat all shields and armor as if it were a weapon.

Weapon ____ Prof. _ Damage _ Range __ Group ___ Properties
Light Armor __ +2 ____ 1d4 ____ - ____ Unarmed _ Off-hand
Heavy Armor _ +2 ____ 1d6 ____ - ____ Unarmed _ Off-hand
Light Shield __ +2 ____ 1d4 ____ - ____ Unarmed _ Light Thrown
Heavy Shield _ +2 ____ 1d6 ___ 5/10 __ Unarmed _ Heavy Thrown

Note: Magic Armor does NOT grant its enhancment bonus to attacks.

Dm Fiat: Allowing Armor to be enchanted as a weapon.. Add +1 item level to any weapon enhancments applied to armor.

Last edited:

DanChops

First Post
Interesting idea...while I understand how a character would use a shield to attack someone, how would they use their armor?

First Post
Interesting idea...while I understand how a character would use a shield to attack someone, how would they use their armor?

Exactly like an unamed strike.. you just have studs/chain/scale/plate between you and your foe.

Now that im thinking about it.. doesnt make much sense with light armor...so I will drop that.. and the 2 sizes for a heavy shield seems a little to good also..

guybrush

First Post
I like it; it's pretty simple and cool. I agree with your revision to lower the damage a little and make the rules the same for armour and shields. Also a good idea to remove light armour - I can't imagine you'd do more damage by punching someone with leather or hide gloves on!

Might be relevant to the "Refluffing Cleave" thread, where a player was looking for a way to let his Warlord/Fighter make a secondary attack with his shield. Of course, you still need a power before you can make a second attack...

DogBackward

First Post
+3 for proficiency is too much. For one, you're cutting in on the territory of blades and the like, which are supposed to specifically be more accurate than most other weapons. Two, Thrashing about with a shield or a chunk of armor is not gonna be as accurate as a well-made sword. I'd stick with +2 proficiency, at the most. And I have doubts about being able to use a large shield as an off-hand weapon, as well...

It's still a good idea, of course, but I think it needs a little work.

First Post
ok.. so i dropped the prof bonus to +2..
dropped off hand property for shields..
adding heavy/light thrown to shield properties..
converted the feat text to a weapon chart

DogBackward

First Post
Looks a lot better. Throwing a large shield still seems a little wierd, but hey, it's D&D, right? About the enchanting thing, though, it might work better if you create an armor enchantment that works like the Pact Blade. I don't feel like bothering with formatting at the moment, but I'm thinkin'...

[sblock]Spined Armor
Levels 3, 8, 13, 18, 23 and 28
Applies enchantment to AC, and attack and damage rolls with unarmed strikes and attacks with the armor itself using the Armored Offense feat.

Item Power (Daily, Free): When an adjacent enemy hits you with a melee attack, make a melee basic attack against the enemy using either an unarmed strike or an attack with this armor using the Armored Offense feat.[/sblock]I think adding the bonus to unarmed attacks works, since you can use gloves or gauntlets that come with it to attack with.

As for shields, just allow them to be enchanted as either a shield or a weapon, but not both. It avoids any possible problems right away. I'd at the very least wait until they come out with rules for cobbling your own items together and adding multiple enchantments before you try to make a shield that has two different types of enchantments on it.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
While I agree increased unarmed damage seems odd for normal light armor, I would hesitate to remove the option altogether because I can easily see magical leather or hide gloves being effective

Remove ads