• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Feat Levels vs Feat Chains

aco175

Legend
I could see feats based on class taken into account when determining levels. Maybe polearm mastery (PAM) can be taken by fighters at level 5 and rogues at level 7, but casters need to wait until level 10. Might be a lot of extra writing and they might not come up that much though.

I can also see certain races or classes giving a boost to some feats. A halfling could gain something from taking the lucky feat on top of the normal things everyone else gets.

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
I could see feats based on class taken into account when determining levels. Maybe polearm mastery (PAM) can be taken by fighters at level 5 and rogues at level 7, but casters need to wait until level 10. Might be a lot of extra writing and they might not come up that much though.
One problem with this is, if the decide to release a new class like they did with the Artificer, they'd have to list every feat and at what level the new class would be allowed to take it.

Stalker0

Legend
One problem with this is, if the decide to release a new class like they did with the Artificer, they'd have to list every feat and at what level the new class would be allowed to take it.
You could do something like this:

Rogue feat mastery: this class is considered a rogue for the purpose of feat level requirements.

So as long as you don’t need a whole new progression you are fine

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Probably get some tomatoes thrown at me but I kinda liked feat preq's based on X stat or Y skill. I also like certain classes able to shortcut the preqs to get them. In a level based design maybe some classes can get it a level or two earlier than any random character.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
What would a 12th or 16th level feat even look like?
It depends on what the system ultimately looks like & what changes it makes since those changes can carve out or fill in room for those feats..we don't have a single example of even the first level of a class or a single feat beyond the level one feats.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the epic boons bore similarities but I think that they should probably have more in common with the kinds of things that used to come from PrCs

Last edited:

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
I'm okay with 2 level chains, but 3+ and it's a problem.
And specifically, I mean feats that require a 1st-level (aka Background-granted) feat to build off of, but can be taken only at a specific higher level threshhold (4/8/12/etc).

And that's it. No 3rd feat. No 8th level feats that require 4th level feats, etc.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads