Feat Prereq's & Ability Score mods

Barcode

First Post
Can anyone find me a rule that states that an ability score prereq for a feat has to be the character's natural ability score?

The argument is with a player over the leadership feat. When he recruits a cohort, does he use his natural charisma bonus or may he use an enhancement bonus to Charisma (from an item) to determine the maximum level? He has several negative modifiers so it makes a difference.

His argument is that there is no distinction in the rules between a natural ability score and an enhanced score. For that matter, there is no difference between a penalty and the loss of an enhancement when it comes to feat prerequisite. The rules do say that when you drop below the prerequisite due to an attribute penalty (the example being Ray of Enfeeblement), you lose access to the feat. Does this apply the same if you gain the feat using an item and subsequently lose the item?

I'd tend to rule that an ability score means unmodified by bonuses (but obviously not by penalties). I'd like a good example though.

Thanks,

-B-

Dr_Rictus

First Post
Barcode said:
Can anyone find me a rule that states that an ability score prereq for a feat has to be the character's natural ability score?

There is no such rule, unless I'm very much mistaken.

Liquidsabre

Explorer
Nope, nothing prohibits use of a modified ability score to meet requirements. In fact, that is what you are suppose to do. The problem that crops up for PCs is that they have taken a feat such as combat expertise (with a modified Int to qualify) and when they lose the magic item they no longer have access to the feat.

Same would go for the Leadership feat and attracting followers/cohort, sure the PC can attract a better cohort and more followers with the higher Cha (afterall, that is what magic does, it boosted his charisma so that he IS more attractive) but if he were ever to lose said item you have problems. His cohort goes away, a few followers leave, and the PC now has to find a new cohort.

Remove ads