D&D 3E/3.5 Feat/Skill based magic for 3e (brainstorm)

DreamChaser

Explorer
After reading another thread (not really related) I got to thinking about how many alternative magic systems I've seen. It made me think that with everything floating around, we should put our heads together to create a system that fits within the existing d20 rules but allows magic to step outside of the fixed progression that it is currently in. We need a magic system that replaces the current one without alienating the core rules in the process. Tall order I know!

Here is what I propose this should include:

1) It should be quantifiable for the DM/GM. That is to say, it should be possible for the DM to predict what effects his players will be able to use in the game. Thus it is not completly free form and open.

2) It should allow for the use of prepared and spontaneous casting, although not in the same class (unless it is like cleric) to allow for both sorcerer and wizard.

3) Feats and skills: these two system should provide enough breadth of use to plan out this system.

4) It should have style :)

5) It should not be more or less powerful than the current system.

What do you think? Care to give me a hand? Maybe we'll fail but let's see how far we can stretch the system. :D

DC

DreamChaser

Explorer
I'll start.

At its foundation, D&D assumes that magic is the providence of birth or learning and cannot just be picked up by any random person. It takes time and/or study. So in order to insure that not just anyone takes the magic feats, we need a foundation feat.

unnamed feat [General]
You are able to learn and cast spells.
Prerequisite: 10+ in cha, wiz, or int.
Benefit: You have learned the basics of magic. You can now learn and use the Spellcasting Feats.
Special: this feat may be taken more than once, each time it provides access to a new set of Spellcasting Feats.

My thought on this is that in theory, someone else could take this feat but it would not gain them anything. They would have to spend at least 2 feats to gain any magic and that would deter most non-spellcasters from bothering. The spellcasting classes would gain it as a bonus feat at 1st ( or apprentice) level.

Comments?
DC

Quip

First Post
Curious idea... I have a few questions that I think have to be answered for this to work:

It doesn't seem like spell slots can work, not very well at least. What does the cost of magic become?

What determines how strong the magic becomes? That is, what takes the place of spell level and caster level?

Will there be a class dedicated to magic, or will only level based feats of other classed characters be used?

How can it support different kinds of magic? That is, spontanious/prepared, arcane/divine, int/wis/cha based?

How does a limited number of feats become the myrad variety of spells that we see in the existing system?

How can the skill system be utilized effectively?

Actually, I think I have an answer to those last two: feats can grant the basic power, like healing or fire, and the forms that they take can be learned through skill points. Gain the power of fire, then spend a certain number of points to learn to form it into a spray (burning hands), some more to learn to focus it into a sword (flame blade) and so on.

With that approach, Int becomes just one aspect of all magic... suppose Wis and Cha had similar roles? Wisdom effects caster level, and charisma effects save DC's perhaps?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Feat Magery
Pre req Int 11
You have a natural affinity for Magic. You gain the Magery Skill and can spontaneously Cast cantrips (0-level divine spells)

Feat Annoiting
Pre req Wis 11
You are annoited by the Divine. You gain the Prayer Skill and can spontaneously Cast orisons (0-level divine spells)

Magery/Prayer Skill = Each rank in the Skill is a Spell Slot

Feat Tome of Knowledge,Tome of Wisdom
Prereq Magery OR Annoiting
You gain a Tome of Knowledge (Arcane) or Tome of Wisdom (Divine) which gives you bonus Spell slots equal to the modifier in the appropriate Stat per level. These Tomes may be studied each morning and a any spell within learnt for the day

Feat: Level Mastery
Prereq Magery or Annoiting
Each time this Feat is taken the Caster gains Mastery of a particular Spell level and can cast spells of that level without penalty.
Normal: A PC can cast spells of any level however whenever they attempt a spell of a level higher than what they have Mastered a Magery/Annoiting check of 10+((Spell Level - Mastery level)x5) is required

eg I have mastered level 3 Spells but want to cast a level 6 spell (6-3)x5 = 15, DC = 25 (10+15 )

Mike Sullivan

First Post
I've tried this before, and here's the hurdle which I've always found difficult to overcome:

Skills behave very regularly in D&D. When it's a class skill, you get 4 ranks at first level, and then one every additional level. You get some kind of relatively fixed bonus (your attribute, maybe some synnergy bonuses or skill focus), and then the skill just crawls upward. At 9th level, you will have 12 ranks (assuming the skill is important to you). At 10th level, you will have 13 ranks. It's almost guaranteed that you'll get exactly that +1, and no more, to your skill every level.

Now, here's the thing. A Sorcerer who goes from 9th to tenth level gets one new 4th level slot, three new 5th level slots, and one new 5th level spell known.

That's a lot of new abilities to go off of one or two feats and one point of skill!

How do you even make the skill part useful? I mean, obviously you can't make it a matter of, "If you roll this DC, you can cast this spell," because otherwise there'll be almost no progression for spellcasters, and what there is of it will be more strongly influenced by stat bonuses than by levels of the class, until you get to quite-high levels. I mean, if it were "DC to cast a spell is 15 + 2*Spell level," or the like, it'd be three or four levels before you were noticeably better at casting any spells -- and getting Skill Focus in the skill you're interested in would be worth two class levels worth of "straight" spellcasting advancement.

In addition, unless the skill's exclusive (which, I think, removes a lot of the point of a skill & feat based magic system), it's really way too easy to twink multiclass spellcasters.

So, what can you use the skill for? You can make it never or rarely rolled, and just count ranks in it, but, honestly, who cares, then? It's just another name for "class or character level + 3."

That's what's hung me up every time I've tried to create a skill & feat magic system. If y'all can get me past that conceptual block, I'll whip out two dozen ideas for you -- I solemnly promise.

EDIT: Aaaaaargh. UBB code! Not HTML! Bad Mike!

Last edited:

FireLance

Legend
Mike Sullivan said:
I've tried this before, and here's the hurdle which I've always found difficult to overcome:

Skills behave very regularly in D&D. When it's a class skill, you get 4 ranks at first level, and then one every additional level. You get some kind of relatively fixed bonus (your attribute, maybe some synnergy bonuses or skill focus), and then the skill just crawls upward. At 9th level, you will have 12 ranks (assuming the skill is important to you). At 10th level, you will have 13 ranks. It's almost guaranteed that you'll get exactly that +1, and no more, to your skill every level.

Now, here's the thing. A Sorcerer who goes from 9th to tenth level gets one new 4th level slot, three new 5th level slots, and one new 5th level spell known.

That's a lot of new abilities to go off of one or two feats and one point of skill!

Conceptually, skills could represent basic familiarity with a type or school or spell, e.g. divination, energy attack, influence others, etc. Feats could represent levels of power, e.g. ability to create 1st to 9th level effects, affect multiple targets, affect area, etc. The prerequisites for the feat could be x ranks in a skill. Say, the feat that allows a spellcaster to create a 1st-level effect requires 4 ranks in the Spellcraft (or whatever) skill. The feat that allows him to create 2nd-level effects could require 6 ranks in the same skill.

My main problem with a skill/feat system is that they are more suited for "always on" abilities and are hence should either provide a small benefit or one that only comes up once in a while. The power of spells are balanced by their limited availability. Imagine a skill that provides even the equivalent of Cure Minor Wounds. A low-level party could use it to heal up completely between fights. If we want to limit its uses via some fatigue or spell point system, then we might as well go back to spell slots again.

Mike Sullivan

First Post
FireLance said:
Conceptually, skills could represent basic familiarity with a type or school or spell, e.g. divination, energy attack, influence others, etc. Feats could represent levels of power, e.g. ability to create 1st to 9th level effects, affect multiple targets, affect area, etc. The prerequisites for the feat could be x ranks in a skill. Say, the feat that allows a spellcaster to create a 1st-level effect requires 4 ranks in the Spellcraft (or whatever) skill. The feat that allows him to create 2nd-level effects could require 6 ranks in the same skill.

Under this conception, are the skills (say we have one for every school, because that's an existing construct in the game and is thus easy) ever rolled? Or are they just used to track what level the character has achieved?

Okay, so let's say that you had the skills:

Abjuration, Conjuration, Divination, Enchantment, Evocation, Illusion, Necromancy, and Transmutation.

Now, it seems tempting to say, "Okay, they're all class skills for Wizard. There are eight skills, so we'll give him six extra skill points per level. That way, he can either max himself in all but two schools and ignore those two, or be a little less than max in all schools. We won't roll these skills, we'll just use their rank levels as prerequisites for wizard abilities."

However, at this point, the crocodile hunter jumps on-screen and yells, "Danger! Danger!" We can't give the Wizard six extra skill points per level -- that's a total infringement of the Rogue's niche. Furthermore, this allows the Wizard to trade off normal skills (which aren't really all that powerful) for the ability to max out all schools of magic -- obviously a bad idea, since a couple of skill points per level is clearly unbalanced with "gaining access to an entire school of spells."

So we end up protecting these skills, saying that the Wizard can't buy them with normal skill points, and, conversely, can't buy normal skills with his "special" skill points... And at that point, I've got to ask what the point is in calling these things "skills" at all.

My main problem with a skill/feat system is that they are more suited for "always on" abilities and are hence should either provide a small benefit or one that only comes up once in a while. The power of spells are balanced by their limited availability. Imagine a skill that provides even the equivalent of Cure Minor Wounds. A low-level party could use it to heal up completely between fights. If we want to limit its uses via some fatigue or spell point system, then we might as well go back to spell slots again.

There are ways that you might limit uses per day based on skill effects (if you fail a cast, you can't attempt any magic again for ten minutes per point you failed the roll by, for example), but that doesn't work via the D&D spell system, because skills don't scale quickly enough. We've got to somehow get from the point where, at first level, first level spells are the effective limit of what you can cast (beyond, perhaps, some extremal results) to, at 18th level, 9th level spells are relatively possible to cast. There's only a difference of a +17 to your roll there -- not even the range of a whole d20! That effectively means that there's no way to tie a skill roll at DC whatever to casting a spell, unless you want to accept the notion that an 18th level caster will always have a 15% or greater chance of failing to cast a 3rd level spell -- which seems ridiculous to me.

Seriously, I don't think that the D&D skill system is capable of this. Not without massive amounts of blood and guts, at least. It's probably technically possible to tear around a vast number of exclusive skills, synnergy bonuses, and class-special-abilities in order to force a system that makes a d20 + whatever >= DC system to work, but, honestly, I can't see it being something that anybody would be willing to slog through.

So what we're left with out of a feat/skill system is maybe a couple of simple "tracking" skills (that are largely unrolled, or are even used for other purposes -- like basing all this off Spellcraft), and then feats. But I don't think that there's a way to make that work either. Feats are too infrequently gained (for non-Fighters), too "small" (each one doesn't cover enough ground, if you want to balance against existing Feats), and too, I don't know, isolated in time to cover the complexities of the existing spell system. You'll end up breaking it up into unwieldy chunks that will, I predict, either be overpowered (everyone will always get Wizard-equivalency-feats), or underpowered (nobody would bother to get Wizard-equivalency-feats except for people following the Wizard class, who get them as bonus feats).

The former breaks the game, the latter removes the point of the entire exercise, which was to somehow make the magic system accessible through something other than "taking Wizard (or whatever) levels."

I'm sorry, I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade. I just don't see how it can be done within the framework of feats and skills. Please, prove me wrong!

Last edited:

Quip

First Post
I love a good challenge. How this for a start?

-------------------------------------

Gift of Magic [General]
You are able to take [Magic] feats.

Healing [Magic]
You become able to channel positive energy, which is able to heal the living and harm the undead.

Sight [Magic]
You become sensive to magical energies, allowing you to sense various powers, objects or creaures

Fire [Magic] (Energy)
You learn how to harness the powers of flame, creating heat and setting fires.

Spells (sans spell descriptions)

Cure Minor Wounds
Requirements: Heal
Skill Points: 2

Cure Light Wounds
Requirements: Heal, 1 other magic feat
Skill Points: 4

Cure Moderate Wounds
Requirements: Heal, 2 other magic feats
Skill Points: 6

Detect Magic
Requirements: Sight

Detect Poison
Requirements: Healing, Sight

Burning Hands
Requirements: Fire, 1 other magic feat
Skill Points: 4

Flaming Sphere
Requirements: Fire, 2 other magic feats
Skill Points: 6

Fireball
Requirements: Fire, 3 other magic feats
Skill Points: 8

Magic Power = Level x # of [Magic] feats + 1/2 Cha score

Cost of magic = skill point cost

-------------------------------------

Probably not at all balanced, but this is brainstorming, after all. Actually, I'm quite certain the spell costs are completely unacceptable, but just try to ignore that for now, ok? :)

CerberusAOD

First Post
My rules
That's my solution. It's had one session of playtesting, and the few noncombat skills worked fine. Based on my calculator the others do, at least to a reasonable degree. For all intents and purposes EP = HP.
Having each ability as a skill is about the only way to get the players to want to diversify, since they *completely lose out* by not doing so, since none of them are givens, like with the normal system (no automatic gaining of spells).
Feats for the spells become too limiting too quickly, unless they are given as bonus feats every level, but that just gets irritating, and quickly so.

The class/cross-class skill thing likely won't work for normal games, but something similar might (I flipped it around--classes are garunteed cross-class skills instead of class skills, and the player chooses the class skills).

Last edited:

Talix

Explorer
I highly recommend you check out this web site of house rules that covers just this situation:
http://seasong.home.texas.net/sh/index.html

And the story hour that accompanies it is here:
http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40057&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

As a quick and inadequate summary, you get a certain number of points each level to put into buying either a new spell, or increasing your ability to cast spells (with some level-based limits, similar to skill maximums). Whenever you cast a spell, you make a will save based on a few factors and if you make it, you cast it, no problem. If you fail, you advance a level of fatigue. So a high-level caster can cast low-level spells all day, but the highest level spells will quickly exhaust even a high-level caster. I know this sounds unbalanced, but if you read the rogue's gallery thread (linked off of the story-hour thread), the author talks about how well it has worked for him so far.

It's more complicated than that, but it seems like a really fun system (the whole character building-system is new, but you probably care most about the magic system).

Last edited:

Remove ads