D&D 5E Feat that improves spell slots

TheSword

Legend
So Rangers and Paladins are half casters, Eldritch Knights and Spell Thieves are one third casters. In keeping with a trend to abilities and feats that enable a single class character to better absorb other classes abilities (fighting styles, manouvers, cantrips for rangers/Paladins) what do you think of the following...

Spell Training
Prerequisite - spell slots from a non-full caster class
You have spent time away from martial concerns learning to hone your magical skills.
  • You can prepare one additional spell per day.
  • You gain spell slots as if you were one full caster level higher than you normally would. Your combined spell casting level after adding additional spell casting levels for this feat cannot be higher than your character level.
You can take this feat more than once.

[Edited to cap at character level]

It has always bugged me that taking a level of a spell casting class doesn’t improve spellcasting martial classes at most levels because of the fact that spellcasting slots are rounded up but multiclass levels are rounded down. Grrr.

Last edited:

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I wouldn't allow it to be taken more than once, for one thing.

Also, only Paladins prepare spells out of the list concerned. So, you should add something about gaining an additional known spell for Rangers and the subclasses.

In an nut shell, normally when you advance from an even level to and odd level (level 2 being the exception), a Paladin gains new spells. But when you MC, it shifts so that you gain new spells instead when you go from an odd level to an even one (due to the rounding up).

If it bothers you, just make the MCing rule that you round normally (up in the case of half-casters, and up at 2 out of 3 levels for EK and AT).

Stalker0

Legend
So is this intended to just give more slots, or actually allow for the casters to cast higher level spells than they normally would be able to?

So Rangers and Paladins are half casters, Eldritch Knights and Spell Thieves are one third casters. In keeping with a trend to abilities and feats that enable a single class character to better absorb other classes abilities (fighting styles, manouvers, cantrips for rangers/Paladins) what do you think of the following...

Spell Training
Prerequisite - spell slots from a non-full caster class
You have spent time away from martial concerns learning to hone your magical skills.
  • You can prepare one additional spell per day.
  • You gain spell slots as if you were one full caster level higher than you normally would.
You can take this feat more than once.

It has always bugged me that taking a level of spells casting class doesn’t improve spellcasting martial classes at most levels because of the fact that spellcasting slots are rounded up but multiclass levels are rounded down. Grrr.
The wording could do with a bit of tightening. This would be a very nice feat for an Artificer 1/Wizard x multiclass for example.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
So is this intended to just give more slots, or actually allow for the casters to cast higher level spells than they normally would be able to?

This is only available to non-full casters as written, so no to casters casting higher level spells (unless you meant half- and one-third casters?).

This would be a very nice feat for an Artificer 1/Wizard x multiclass for example.

Also, in looking at the Artificer I noticed something off:

1601602526198.png

compared to the PHB about Paladins and Rangers:

1601602500023.png

So, since Artificers are already rounded up (which is inconsistent with half classes and should be corrected if it hasn't already been), this would be too helpful for them since it was meant to make up a deficit I thought?

TheSword

Legend
This is only available to non-full casters as written, so no to casters casting higher level spells (unless you meant half- and one-third casters?).

Also, in looking at the Artificer I noticed something off:

View attachment 126873
compared to the PHB about Paladins and Rangers:

View attachment 126872

So, since Artificers are already rounded up (which is inconsistent with half classes and should be corrected if it hasn't already been), this would be too helpful for them since it was meant to make up a deficit I thought?
That is very interesting about the artificer rounding up. I wonder if that is the future of PC Multiclassing or if it is a special feature of the artificer. Difficult to say when printed at different times but perhaps Tashas will clarify.

Last edited:

TheSword

Legend
So yes, the intention is it would never take a caster above the full casting equivalent character level.

Good spot on the prepared spells vs spells known (The alternate class features have messed with my head regarding spells known to the point that I functionally see it all the same)

In theory a variant human fighter could take this feat 4 times by level 9 and would be a 7th level caster, but would have effectively have given up all feats and stat increases. Feats are pretty good, it feels like giving up a lot. I don’t know how I feel about taking it multiple times. Hence the thread.

It has always bugged me that taking a level of spells casting class doesn’t improve spellcasting martial classes at most levels because of the fact that spellcasting slots are rounded up but multiclass levels are rounded down. Grrr.

On the flip side, they never go down, and you do get cantrips and a lot more spells known to cast with those slots, even if you dont get more slots.

An EK taking a level of Wizard at levels 4 and 5 (not affecting his spell slots) however his spells known goes from [4 spells known], to [4 plus Int plus 1], and with the [Int plus 1] coming from a wider list.

Plus he technically already gets an extra slot due to Arcane Recovery.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
That is very interesting about the artificer rounding up. I wonder if that is the future of PC Multiclassing or if it is a special feature of the artificer. Difficult to say when printed at different times but perhaps Tashas will clarify.
It's a special feature of the Artificer, seeing as how they are half-casters with cantrips. They are the "Other Half" of half-casters.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases