Level Up (A5E) Feats, Feats, & More Feats!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Let’s talk about feats in Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition!

Feats work in the same way you’re used to — when you get an Ability Score Increase, you can choose to take a feat instead. The Adventurer’s Guide contains over 90 feats to choose from. About half you will recognize from O5E (but rewritten the A5E way!) and the other half will be brand new.

One fun thing we’ve done is introduce Synergy Feats. These are feats with prerequisites — often multiclass prerequisites, but other requirements may exist.

Vampersan

Explorer
Wow, 90 feats? The O5e PHB has 42 feats, and considering the above Synergy Feats comprise 24 feats, that leaves another 24 brand new, non-multiclass feats. Very nice!

I am a little bummed that the Synergy Feats seem to be class specific (for example, you can't take Bladechanter if you're a Ranger/Sorcerer or Berserker/Wizard), but that's a minor quibble.

I do like how Synergy Feats seem to be drawing inspiration from sub-classes like the O5e Bladesigner, although I'll be curious to see what happens when said subclass takes the Bladechanter feat (although, it appears "Bladechanting" and "Bladesinging" will be incompatible given the former's dual-wielding requirements and the latter's single-weapon restriction).

All in all, I'm really excited and encouraged by what I'm seeing. ^.^

Horwath

Legend
Let’s talk about feats in Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition!

Feats work in the same way you’re used to — when you get an Ability Score Increase, you can choose to take a feat instead. The Adventurer’s Guide contains over 90 feats to choose from. About half you will recognize from O5E (but rewritten the A5E way!) and the other half will be brand new.

One fun thing we’ve done is introduce Synergy Feats. These are feats with prerequisites — often multiclass prerequisites, but other requirements may exist.

Like the feats, most of it:

Bladechanter:
1st entry could have been written simpler as; while not wearing heavy armor and/or shield....

2nd; would it not be better to have it, if you fail your save? Maybe add cost of 1 point per spell level you are saving instead of fixed 2.

3rd: is reaction cost really a must? could just say once on your turn you can...

4th: extra idea: when you cast a spell of 1st level or higher that is ranged spell attack, you can throw your one-handed weapon at the target, using your melee attack roll or spell attack roll(whichever is higher), if you hit add your melee weapon damage and your weapon returns to your hand. If you miss, your weapon lands somewhere random around the target.

VanguardHero

Adventurer
Damn, was really hoping Level Up would sidestep the "Want to take a Feat, huh? Well how well did you roll at CharGen for starting stats?" problem. Leads me to couple questions that aren't exactly Feat related, but are relevant to the opportunity cost of taking Feats.

First, did Point Buy/Standard Array get bumped up to not be worse than average compared to rolling? If not I'm worried that more appealing Feats will lead to more rolling for stats, which results in either party members at fundamentally different levels of power throughout the campaign or "suspiciously" good rolled stats.

Second, speaking of starting stats, what was the assumption of party stats when developing the (fantastically thorough) Monster Math? Did it assume the PB/SA levels? If based on that, combined with reliably obtainable magic weapons, Feats will be a lot more appealing instead of feeling like shinies to distract you from that sweet sweet +5 Ability Modifier you should've rolled better for at the start of the campaign.

Concern about the o5e skeleton aside, Synergy Feats are cool as hell and I'm really looking forward to seeing that Untamed one :D

Horwath

Legend
Damn, was really hoping Level Up would sidestep the "Want to take a Feat, huh? Well how well did you roll at CharGen for starting stats?" problem. Leads me to couple questions that aren't exactly Feat related, but are relevant to the opportunity cost of taking Feats.

First, did Point Buy/Standard Array get bumped up to not be worse than average compared to rolling? If not I'm worried that more appealing Feats will lead to more rolling for stats, which results in either party members at fundamentally different levels of power throughout the campaign or "suspiciously" good rolled stats.

Second, speaking of starting stats, what was the assumption of party stats when developing the (fantastically thorough) Monster Math? Did it assume the PB/SA levels? If based on that, combined with reliably obtainable magic weapons, Feats will be a lot more appealing instead of feeling like shinies to distract you from that sweet sweet +5 Ability Modifier you should've rolled better for at the start of the campaign.

Concern about the o5e skeleton aside, Synergy Feats are cool as hell and I'm really looking forward to seeing that Untamed one :D
rolling scores comes up to point buy value of 31,6 or something similar.
If you value 16 as 12pts, 17 as 15pts and 18 as 19pts.

So, really PF1 Society society got it right with 20pts point buy(start all at 10) or 32pt buy(start all at 8) for D&D.

Sansang

Villager
Honestly I think this is pretty ugly. I'm still trying to decide to back or not the kickstarter but this feat news is kinda driving me away. As Horwarth pointed out the class limitation for the sinergy feats seems to be a no-brainer 1st house rule, but to me it screams arbitrary limitations and it does look way too much like the old tax feats. Obviously the easiest solution would be to just ignore them, but I just can't ignore the idea that the remaining 90 feats has been designed in the same way. (Sorry if my first post is so negative, I also edited it because I posted only a letter by mistake.)

King Brad

Explorer
I think this looks fantastic and I'm excited to try them out. Basically multiplying the class options by adding these. It's really gonna help each party feel unique when paired with all the base class choices.

I'm not worried about the prereqs. There's already multiple instances of features you can't gain aside from going one specific route.

dave2008

Legend
Hmmm. I missing something. There is no ability score requirement for these feats. And the only feats that require any prerequisites are th few synergy feats. Or are you worried about taking an ASI or a feat? Which I can assure you, as someone who plays in a game that is feats only, is not an issue for 5e or LevelUp. You do not need ASIs in 5e.

Remove ads