D&D (2024) Feats still optional in 1D&D: and other notes from the survey results

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
If it said, "You may either choose three additional skills to gain proficiency with, OR choose a first level feat (if your DM allows first level feats" would that solve for this issue?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Meaning feats are going to be a requirement period going forward, because if ASI are themselves feats, they aren't optional anymore and I suspect it's partially because the old school players who pushed for them to be an optional mechanic moved on to OSR systems, and then a pile of new players came in where feats weren't a problem, most going unused because it's usually better to take an ASI instead.
What's the difference between Get +2 to a stat or +1 to two stats and here's a feat that gives you +2 to a stat or +1 to two stats?

Oofta

Legend
What's the difference between Get +2 to a stat or +1 to two stats and here's a feat that gives you +2 to a stat or +1 to two stats?
Because it's FEAT man! They said feats are optional but, like, it's a FEAT! 😠

Or something. I actually don't know what all the fuss is about. They're just cleaning house a bit and making things a little more streamlined. Yes, backgrounds grant a low level feat because they wanted backgrounds to matter more. It can always be ignored or the DM can limit it to specific feats like gaining additional feats. I think it's a good idea overall, it gives PCs a little more room to stand out and be unique.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Because it's FEAT man! They said feats are optional but, like, it's a FEAT! 😠
I feel like they'd be mad at me for offering them bacon when what they really wanted was thin strips of pig fried up crispy. Bacon, though, is out of the question!
Or something. I actually don't know what all the fuss is about. They're just cleaning house a bit and making things a little more streamlined. Yes, backgrounds grant a low level feat because they wanted backgrounds to matter more. It can always be ignored or the DM can limit it to specific feats like gaining additional feats. I think it's a good idea overall, it gives PCs a little more room to stand out and be unique.
I totally agree.

Remove ads