• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Female gamers: Weal or woe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timeboxer

Explorer
Can I yoink that for my next game? I think my Shadowrun crew might get the hint if that's on their side of the screen next week... ;)

Why, of course. Here, I'll license it to you:

I'm here to create an awesome story and kill your PCs. And I'm all out of story.

/* This quote is free textware. It comes without any warranty, to
* the extent permitted by applicable law. You can redistribute it
* and/or modify it under the terms of the DWTFYWT Public
* License, Version 2, as published by Sam Hocevar. See
* http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/COPYING for more details. */

There, all nice and legally tidy. Good luck with your game!

shieldheart

First Post
Wow, you know your OP really hit home when it brings in a chain of "I am *definitely* not a nerd but I suspect you may be" type of posts. Seriously, some of this stuff is painful to read. The 'gamers coming forward to proclaim they aren't stereotypes but really normal successful people' movement was cool a year and a half ago.. nowadays, a bit played.

I find the "If you're not totally comfortable with a woman from the second you meet her then you're a nerd who needs to get laid" to be extremely naive and wishful thinking, to say the least.

Yep, this thread has succeeded to bring in those people who think of themselves as knowledgeable, insightful or enlightened who are really just bullies. Seriously, some really judgmental posts. Duly noted, there were some constructive posts, for which I am grateful, but most people have deviated from the heart of the question at hand.

I guess the answer to my question is that having a girl at your table will give you a sense of superiority over gamers who don't. I think I'm going to go ahead and keep it an all guys thing. Thanks for the input everyone.

Eric Tolle

First Post
Black gamers: Weal or woe?
Having played d&d almost exclusively with an all white group, the concept of a black gamer is somewhat foreign to me. In the dozen or so sessions I've played with black players, I've found that black gamers, by virtue of their race alone, change the gameplay experience dramatically.

Most of the time it's a headache.

Hear me out now, I've got nothing against black players. They're awesome and everything. The problem arises mostly with the white players whenever there's a black present. They almost always act differently. Some guys will hold back from being their normal selves and restrain themselves from cracking potentially offensive jokes where they otherwise wouldn't hesitate. Some guys will go out of their way to try to impress the black, in game or otherwise. I've wanted to pull out my hair during sessions where guys spent the entire 3 hours chatting up the black player, distracting him and everyone else from the session and holding it up.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? How do you deal with it? I want to include a few black friends into my gaming sessions but I don't want the atmosphere of the group to change.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads