D&D 5E Feywild-based campaign?

DaLich

Villager
For me, the interest of playing in (and most likely running) the Feywild is based around difference. It's different than the bog standard material world stuff.

After a few sessions of fey races, weird, magical, and unpredictable spaces, it will start to feel as familiar as the material, just with a different label - especially if your PCs never go back to the material. You need reference points and comparison.

I like the mention of having more normal phbish races as to have it feel foreign to them.

Perhaps you can do 50/50, with Feywild "pockets", appearing at random places throughout your material plane (in whatever world). An entire session or 3 can be spent in that pocket but the overall coat is material plane stuff. The excitement of gameplay comes about when the group reaches into pockets finding lint AND a fey-touched Mind Flayer.

I think Fey in the Material Plane has been covered in both Changeling games (though it's WoD/Storyteller system and modern day), and the standard assumption of D&D should the PC be of a certain race. And the TV show Lost Girl, about Fey in modern day Toronto (though it might have been vague about being in Toronto or Ontario or Canada on that matter) that was fine in the first couple of seasons.

And isn't there that setting that WotC made (non-D&D) with Fey in the Victorian Era.

I guess in some ways a Feywild based campaign could be inspired by some of the Sandman spin-offs, though I'm only familiar with the main series Gaiman wrote and Mike Carey's Lucifer spinoff.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Tales from the Old Margreve from Kobold Press as a lot of possible adventures for a feywild-themed adventure. You can also put your hands on the Mirkwood Campaign Guide (the shadows of Dol Guldur could be replaced by Unseelie) for AiME, if you want to add an ever-encroaching darkness to fight against over many years.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot, Terrible Beauty a supplement for Shadow of the Demon Lord for its feywild-equivalent. While its only 5e-adjacent, I think its the best supplement if you want to go the ''weird, dangerous passions and child-like cruelty'' angle with your fey.

If we are recommending Kobold Press, I would check out Courts of the Shadow Fey as well.

My sense of the feywild is it obeys dream logic. so, for example key points of geography might change, and no one would really notice.

You could lift changlings from Eberron, however, a "changling" could also be a human who was swapped for a fey child as an infant.
Yeah, for instance, in my 4e campaign the PCs traveled from A to B, but retracing their steps didn't lead back to A. 'Dream logic' is more narrative and contingent. The party found that 'completing the journey' was required.

G

Guest 6801328

I literally just received (well, downloaded PDF) a Kickstarter project I backed a while ago: Runewild. Reading through it now, but it's pretty cool. Check it out.

Nebulous

Legend
If I ever ran a fey campaign, it would definitely be based on Kobold Press' Old Margreve, Wrath of the River King, and Courts of the Shadow Fey. Lots of great material there.
Yep, I've been checking that out tonight, and it looks very impressive, and different from what I've done before.

Remove ads