FFT Geomancer base class

Keska

Explorer
After playing a few games in the Final Fantasy Returners RPG I had a character I really loved. But the campaign ended, and I thought I'd lost my chance to play him again - until my friend Acquana offered me the chance to join her d20 based "anything goes" game. So I translated the FInal Fantasy Tactics Geomancer into a d20-style class. I thought I'd throw it out here in case anyone else was interested.

I've edited the document to reflect the changes made. (08/14/06)

Attachments

• Geomancer.doc
    97.5 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:

FrostedMini1337

First Post
While the geo is pretty bad in FFT, I've always wanted to see if anyone brewed one up for D&D. I haven't looked over it very well, but it seems to run a close gambit between under and overpowered. I may actually tweak this and use it a bit in a new campaign we may have to start soon.

Also, im confused...they get powers known, but from what list and how many PP?

Sorry if I missed something.

Edited.

Graf

Explorer
Powers known refers to a table later on.

The class is interesting (and a faithful interpretation of the tactics class as I remember it. It suffers from a number of issues (some serious) visa vie balance and “breaking” unspoken DnD rules. I believe this is due to the fact that you’re duping what is essentially a “unit” in a Tactical combat game into a DnD character.
(Compare a paladin in Warcraft3 to a Paladin in WoW and you’ll see what I mean. One or two singnature powers are great for an RTS with lots of little minions but lousy for times when you control one character).

ISSUES I think it would need to be DnD-ified more to work in a larger context.
You MUST identify what –kind- of power this is supernatural, extraordinary or spell-like. Should probably be spell like.
The power needs a range (even if it’s sight which it shouldn’t be).
Ranged touch attack vs. a square? If there were such a thing it would be a trivial roll at lower levels and impossible to miss at higher levels.
A spell that affects and area has a DC save to resist or avoid it’s damage. A spell that is targeted at an individual only affects that person and you need to hit –their- touch AC, not the touch AC of a nearby immobile object.
Using a geomancy power is a standard action? This needs to be specified.
Frequency of Geomancy? I assume at will but should be specified.
The two handed weapons only thing would have (IMHO natch) to be a vow similar to that of a Druid. It’s difficult to imagine someone who can wield a great sword proficiently but can’t cope with a club.
Caster level? All of your geomancy effects should have a caster level spelled out somewhere (Even if it’s just caster level = levels of geomancer)

Power level: Too strong at first level and too variable to be fun for the DM.

Too powerful at first level
Practically speaking a character in a normal campaign is going to take Demon Fire first because “indoors” includes a lot of areas in a standard campaign. So you get untyped damage (1d6) that affects close to 10 people with no save and may put them to sleep.
At will.
You’re much better than a first level warlock in a dungeon, inn, castle, etc.

Some of the effects are a bit powerful… with a couple of create waters you can make normal dirt under your feet muddy and start dropping Death Sentences… By 4th or 5th level (with a potion of Owl’s Wisdom) you’re wisdom could easily be 22ish and you could be hitting things with a DC 18 Death effect. (Yeah it takes 6 rounds for them to die, but you can just blast someone and then run and barricade yourself behind a door).

Suggestions
DnD-ify the class a bit more
Clarify power type (spell-like probably), standard action to use, caster level and at will.
Drop the weird-confusing-largely pointless ranged-touch-against-a-square-and-no-save mechanic in favor of a standard “does xd6 damage with save vs. half. If save failed then negative effect…”
(this will also help with some of the power issues it also doesn’t do an unfair dodge around abilities like evasion)
Match the weapon proficiencies in a way that makes a bit more sense. I.e. all simple weapons + proficiency in one two handed martial weapon of your choice.

Power issues:
Scale range (so it starts off at first level affecting 1 square and slowly expanding)
Limit the range to something like 30ft +10 ft per level.
I’d probably try to give you weaker status effects (Don’t Act) at lower levels and more powerful ones (Death Sentence or paralysis) at higher levels.

Limit volatility
Limit the terrain requirement to status effects… i.e. you always do damage when you invoke geomancy but can only inflict a status effect if you’re on the right terrain.

I do think its cool you’re working this out, btw, FF Tactics was a good game.
But you asked for thoughts and these are mine.

Last edited:

Arkhandus

First Post
I almost never go anywhere near attachments on the internet (and certainly not in e-mail), but I may check your class out later.... I may be too busy on Monday though.

For now though, on impulse, I feel like posting what I'd done on the class 1 or 2 years ago after I started playing Final Fantasy Tactics again on my old PlayStation. The class level advancement chart for my version of the Geomancer is at the end of the description.

Some of the terms used for proficiencies and such will likely not make sense out of context, and I never really finished the weapons/armors/shields/tools document (or, indeed, most of the classes; I only have a handful of them completed, and all but the Geomancer amongst those are relatively-mundane). A few other extremely minor bits may also yet be incomplete; frex, I might not have finalized my decision on what skills would be class skills. Since my 3E D&D conversion for Final Fantasy Tactics material was never finished, I haven't had the chance to actually playtest any of this stuff, nor have I gone over it yet with a fine-toothed comb to fix any possible problems or overly-great-numbers-of-uses-of-abilities. Also, as often happens in my preliminary stages of typing up long descriptions, I tend not to end many sentences to start new ones, so there are a lot of long run-on sentences with numerous commas.

It's based on FFT's tiered access to different Jobs; ya need to gain at least a few levels in each prerequisite Job/class before receiving access to a newer, slightly superior and more advanced one. There are 6 tiers, with Mime alone in the 6th. Each tier of classes is shorter in levels than the last, with one exception; Squires and Chemists are each 10 levels only, because they're the most basic and limited of classes (though versatile enough all things considered; both decent in skills and basic combat stuff, and chemists are good at using and crafting items, as well as handling traps, including the creation and use of magic items without need for actual spellcasting ability).

I'll put this in spoiler tags so as to take up minimal space in your thread. On request I can just shift this over to a separate thread.

[sblock]
Tiered Character Classes
In the Tiered Class System, each class belongs to a Tier, and in order to gain levels in a class above the First Tier, a character must gain a certain number of levels in each of a number of prerequisite, lower-Tier classes.

Fourth Tier Character Classes: Geomancer
Gameplay Information

Prerequisites: 2nd Level Squire, 2nd Level Knight, 2nd Level Monk.
Alignment: Any neutral.
Hit Dice: D12.

Skills: Balance (dex), Climb (str), Concentration (con), Intuit Direction (wis), Jump (str), Knowledge (Arcana) (int), Knowledge (Geography) (int), Knowledge (Nature) (int), Knowledge (Religion) (int), Swim (str), and Wilderness Lore (wis).
Skill Points Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Weapon And Armor Proficiency: Geomancers are proficient with one type of weapons or armor at 1st level, and gain an additional armor or weapon proficiency every 6 levels. Geomancers choose their weapon and armor proficiencies from the following: Axes, Basic Weapons, Bows, Knives, Martial Armor, Martial Swords, Projectiles, and Shields.

Geomancy (Sp): At each level except 3rd, 4th, 9th, and 10th, the Geomancer learns a special technique for conjuring up the power of the earth, called a Geomancy, and each such Geomancy can only be gained once. Each Geomancy has a range of 60 feet, affects a 15-foot diameter by 5-foot tall cylindrical area (or alternatively, the Geomancer can choose at any time to manifest a Geomancy within a 15-foot high, 5-foot wide cylindrical area), and allows a Reflex saving throw for half damage (DC = 10 + one-half of the Geomancer's class level, rounded up + the Geomancer's Wisdom modifier, if positive).

Due to the unique, natural, elemental power of a Geomancy, and despite the manifestations and appearances of Geomancies, they do not damage inanimate objects, even magical inanimate objects, and do not noticeably damage or change the terrain or plantlife within their area, except for animated or intelligent plants of any sort; thus, the ground affected by a Local Quake isn't noticeably ruined and ridden with debris, nor is the grass and wood around an area affected by a Demon Fire noticeably burnt, charred, or blackened. Unless noted otherwise for any particular Geomancy, all Geomancies must target a specific point on the ground, which is where their effects are centered upon.

A Geomancer can use a total number of Geomancies each day equal to their Wisdom modifier (if positive) times their Geomancer level, with a minimum number of times per day equal to the Geomancer's class level. Geomancies are spell-like abilities and take a standard action to use, provoking attacks of opportunity normally. The Geomancer chooses their Geomancies from among the following:

Blizzard: This Geomancy can only be used upon an area covered with at least an inch of snow and/or ice, and the Geomancy draws upon the power of cold in the area to conjure up a whirling blizzard of snow and ice, which deals 1d4 cold damage per Geomancer level to everything within the area of effect. In addition, the elemental power conjured attempts to freeze the mouthes shut of those within the area, preventing them from speaking or otherwise vocalizing until a number of rounds have passed (including the current round) equal to 1 + the damage dealt, the ice vaporizing at the end of the Geomancer's turn that round. Those within the area of effect must each make a Fortitude save at a DC equal to 10 + one-quarter of the Geomancer's class level, rounded up + the Geomancer's Wisdom modifier, if positive. Success at this saving throw prevents the silencing effect.

Carve Model: This Geomancy can only be used upon an area where the ground is made up of at least a quarter-foot deep area of crystal, glass, or stone, and the Geomancy draws upon the power of earth in the area to conjure up a tumultous, grinding, crushing cascade of stones and crystal that rise up from the ground and smash, crush, and grind against all within the area, which deals 1d4 bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage per Geomancer level to everything within the area of effect. This Geomancy is an Earth-elemental attack, and cannot be manifested within a 5-foot wide by 15-foot high cylinder, due to its strong, earth-bound power.

In addition, the elemental power conjured attempts to encase those within the area in stone and petrify them as per a Flesh To Stone spell for a number of rounds (including the current round) equal to 1 + half the damage dealt, rounded up, the effect fading at the end of the Geomancer's turn that round. Those within the area of effect must each make a Fortitude save at a DC equal to 10 + one-quarter of the Geomancer's class level, rounded up + the Geomancer's Wisdom modifier, if positive. Success at this saving throw prevents the petrifying Flesh To Stone effect.

Demon Fire: This Geomancy can only be used upon an area covered with at least an inch of wood, cloth, or similarly highly-flammable material (though note that grass and some other types of plant are often too soaked or coated with moisture or sap to burn easily), and the Geomancy draws upon the power of heat in the area to conjure up a blazing flare, which deals 1d6 fire damage per Geomancer level to everything within the area of effect. In addition, the elemental power conjured attempts to lull those within the area to sleep with the hypnotic power of the flames, affecting them as per a Sleep spell (without any of the spell's limitations, except the conditions for waking) until a number of rounds have passed (including the current round) equal to 1 + the damage dealt, the hypnotic allure of the flames fading at the end of the Geomancer's turn that round. Those within the area of effect must each make a Will save at a DC equal to 10 + one-quarter of the Geomancer's class level, rounded up + the Geomancer's Wisdom modifier, if positive. Success at this saving throw prevents the Sleep effect.

Gusty Wind: This Geomancy can be used anywhere except 5 feet or more indoors or underground (60 feet or more distant from any exit into the open air, in the case of being 'underground'), and the Geomancy draws upon the power of air and wind within the area, which deals 1d4 sonic damage per Geomancer level to everything within the area of effect. This Geomancy is an Air-elemental attack, and can be used even in mid-air, without the normal Geomancy prerequisite of targeting a point upon the ground, it can instead target any point in mid-air or upon a wall, ceiling, or roof if the Geomancer desires.

In addition, the elemental power conjured attempts to slow those within the area with the force of elemental wind, affecting them as per a Slow spell until a number of rounds have passed (including the current round) equal to 1 + the damage dealt, the agility-hampering and mind-numbing winds dying at the end of the Geomancer's turn that round. Those within the area of effect must each make a Will save at a DC equal to 10 + one-quarter of the Geomancer's class level, rounded up + the Geomancer's Wisdom modifier, if positive. Success at this saving throw prevents the hindering winds of the Slow effect.

Hell Ivy: This Geomancy can only be used upon an area where the ground is made up of at least a thick mat of grass or other plants, or a large amount of brush, ferns, leaves, ivy, and so on, and the Geomancy draws upon the power of nature in the area to conjure up a mass of writhing, snapping, whip-like vines, which deals 1d4 bludgeoning and slashing damage per Geomancer level to everything within the area of effect. In addition, the elemental power conjured attempts to bind those within the area with the vines, affecting them as per an Entangle spell for a number of rounds (including the current round) equal to 1 + the damage dealt, rounded up, the effect fading at the end of the Geomancer's turn that round. Those within the area of effect must each make an additional Reflex save at a DC equal to 10 + one-quarter of the Geomancer's class level, rounded up + the Geomancer's Wisdom modifier, if positive. Success at this saving throw prevents the Entangle effect of the vines. Those bound by the vines find that new vines spring up and Entangle them as they move, continuing the effect for the duration stated above.

Kamaitachi: This Geomancy can only be used upon an area of metal, worked stone, carved wood, fabricated cloth, and/or any other worked materials, and the Geomancy draws upon the power of wind spirits within the area, which deals 1d6 electricity damage per Geomancer level to everything within the area of effect. This Geomancy is an Air-elemental attack. In addition, the elemental power conjured attempts to halt the actions of those within the area, paralyzing their minds and dazing them as per a Daze spell until a number of rounds have passed (including the current round) equal to 1 + the damage dealt, the mind-warping winds dying at the end of the Geomancer's turn that round. Those within the area of effect must each make a Will save at a DC equal to 10 + one-quarter of the Geomancer's class level, rounded up + the Geomancer's Wisdom modifier, if positive. Success at this saving throw prevents the paralytic winds of the Daze effect.

Lava Ball: This Geomancy can only be used upon an area at least a mile underground, covered with an inch or more of boiling lava or hardened lava rock (such as pumice or obsidian), within a mile of an active volcano, or an area that is at least within 30 feet of a sizeable mass of active lava (at least 10 cubic feet), and the Geomancy draws upon the power of magma in the area to conjure up a boiling orb of lava that splashes across the targeted area, which deals 1d4 fire and bludgeoning damage per Geomancer level to everything within the area of effect. In addition, the elemental power conjured attempts to scorch the very souls of those within the area, dealing an amount of temporary Constitution damage equal to one-quarter the damage dealt, rounded up. Those within the area of effect must each make a Fortitude save at a DC equal to 10 + one-quarter of the Geomancer's class level, rounded up + the Geomancer's Wisdom modifier, if positive. Success at this saving throw prevents the temporary Constitution damage.

Local Quake: This Geomancy can only be used upon an area where the ground is made up of at least a one-foot deep area of mixed dirt, small rocks, and/or grass, and the Geomancy draws upon the power of earth in the area to conjure up a small, localized earthquake within the area, tossing rocks, dirt, and other debris about and visciously shaking all within the area, which deals 1d4 bludgeoning damage per Geomancer level to everything within the area of effect. This Geomancy is an Earth-elemental attack, and cannot be manifested within a 5-foot wide by 15-foot high cylinder, due to its strong, earth-bound power.

Also, due to the nature of this Geomancy, those within the area of effect who failed their Reflex saves for half damage are also knocked prone by the shaking and shifting ground. In addition, the elemental power conjured attempts to pound and grind the thoughts of those within the area, potentially dazing and confusing the victims, affecting them as per a Confusion spell for a number of rounds (including the current round) equal to 1 + half the damage dealt, rounded up, the effect fading at the end of the Geomancer's turn that round. Those within the area of effect must each make a Will save at a DC equal to 10 + one-quarter of the Geomancer's class level, rounded up + the Geomancer's Wisdom modifier, if positive. Success at this saving throw prevents the mind-battering Confusion effect.

Pitfall: This Geomancy can be used upon any area covered with at least an inch of solid natural terrain, such as stone, wood, grass, dirt, bushes, or sand; basically any terrain other than liquid or worked materials (such as upon man-made bridges, cobblestone roads, house floorboards, furniture, water, worked stone, etc.), though dirt roads or planted trees and such can be targeted, since they are still mostly natural and aren't really created or shaped much by mortals, and the Geomancy draws upon the power of nature in the area to conjure up an extradimensional pit under the area in which the victims fall, dealing 1d4 bludgeoning damage per Geomancer level to everything within the area of effect, before the extradimensional pit warps back into place; abilities such as the Safe Fall extraordinary ability or spells such as Feather Fall do not lessen the effect of the fall, due to its extradimensional, area-warping nature.

In addition, the elemental power conjured attempts to trap the minds of those within the area within mental abysses, withdrawing their awareness from reality, affecting them as per a Hold Monster spell for a number of rounds (including the current round) equal to 1 + half the damage dealt, the mental pits of trapped awareness disappearing at the end of the Geomancer's turn that round. Those within the area of effect must each make a Will save at a DC equal to 10 + one-quarter of the Geomancer's class level, rounded up + the Geomancer's Wisdom modifier, if positive. Success at this saving throw prevents the Hold effect.

Quicksand: This Geomancy can only be used upon an area covered with at least an inch of at-least-mostly-stagnant, impure water with earth and/or rock no more than a quarter-mile below, or at least an inch of mud, mixed water and dirt, or mixed water and sand, possibly with moss, peat, roots, and such within it, or generally just any terrain that could undoubtably be considered marsh-like terrain (as determined by the DM). However, this cannot target points on swamp trees, roots, or bushes, and the Geomancy draws upon the power of bog spirits in the area to conjure up a smothering pool of deep quicksand within an extradimensional space under the targeted area, drawing victims into it through extreme gravity, dealing 1d4 bludgeoning damage per Geomancer level to everything within the area of effect, plus one-quarter that amount, rounded down, in subdual suffocation damage, before the quicksand phases out of existance and the extradimensional space warps itself and its victims back into their previous positions.

This Geomancy is an Earth-elemental and Water-elemental attack, and cannot be manifested within a 5-foot wide by 15-foot high cylinder, due to its strong, earth-bound power. In addition, the elemental power conjured attempts to surround and squeeze the souls of those within the area, slowly crushing the life out of the victims, dealing an additional 2d4 negative energy damage per round for a number of rounds (including the current round) equal to 1 + half the base normal damage dealt, the soul-snuffing effect dying out at the end of the Geomancer's turn that round. Those within the area of effect must each make a Fortitude save at a DC equal to 10 + one-quarter of the Geomancer's class level, rounded up + the Geomancer's Wisdom modifier, if positive. Success at this saving throw prevents the soul-squeezing effect.

Sandstorm: This Geomancy can only be used upon an area covered with at least a foot of loose sand or dirt, and the Geomancy draws upon the power of sand and earth in the area to conjure up a spinning cyclone of wind, blowing large amounts of sand around at speeds that make the sand particles seem like tiny bullets, dealing 1d4 bludgeoning and piercing damage per Geomancer level to everything within the area of effect.

In addition, the elemental power conjured attempts to blind those within the area with conjured sand, blinding their vision and inducing an additional -2 circumstance penalty on all skill checks and attack rolls due to irritation, as well as an additional -2 circumstance penalty to AC, for a number of rounds (including the current round) equal to 1 + half the damage dealt, the sand constantly replenishing itself as needed for the duration to continue blinding the subject, and then disappearing at the end of the Geomancer's turn that round. Those within the area of effect must each make a Fortitude save at a DC equal to 10 + one-quarter of the Geomancer's class level, rounded up + the Geomancer's Wisdom modifier, if positive. Success at this saving throw prevents the blinding effect and the penalty to skill checks and attack rolls.

Water Ball: This Geomancy can only be used upon an area covered with at least an inch of water that is at least somewhat clear and at least somewhat pure (at least moderately safe to drink), and the Geomancy draws upon the power of water in the area to conjure up a globe of roiling, rushing water to batter those within the area of effect, which deals 1d4 bludgeoning damage per Geomancer level to everything within the area of effect, and an amount of subdual suffocation damage equal to one-quarter that amount, rounded down. This Geomancy is a Water-elemental effect.

In addition, the elemental power conjured attempts to weaken those within the area by turning them into frogs, as per a Polymorph Other spell, for a number of rounds (including the current round) equal to 1 + one-quarter the base normal damage dealt, the victims returning to their previous forms at the end of the Geomancer's turn that round. Those within the area of effect must each make a Fortitude save at a DC equal to 10 + one-quarter of the Geomancer's class level, rounded up + the Geomancer's Wisdom modifier, if positive. Success at this saving throw prevents the frog-polymorphing effect.

Primal Affinity: At 4th level and again at 10th level, the Geomancer develops a stronger bond with nature and attains a primal affinity for some aspect of nature, and each such primal affinity can only be gained once. The Geomancer chooses their primal affinities from among the following:

Attack Up (Su): This special ability increases the Geomancer's attack power, as they train their martial skills further and gain a stronger bond with the savage, primal side of nature. The geomancer gains a special +2 bonus on all attack rolls, and on all weapon and unarmed strike damage rolls.

Counter Geomancy (Su): This special ability allows the Geomancer to perform a Geomancy against an opponent in place of an attack of opportunity. This special ability can only be used against an opponent who draws an attack of opportunity from the Geomancer. The Geomancer uses whichever type of Geomancy they know that is appropriate to the type of terrain the opponent is on, and the Geomancy used in this manner only affects the target opponent, rather than an area like it normally affects. Doing this expends one of the Geomancer's daily uses of their Geomancy special ability. In addition to being used for attacks of opportunity, the Counter Geomancy ability allows the Geomancer to counter the effects of another Geomancer's Geomancy special ability. That is, a Geomancer with this ability may counter an opponent's Geomancy effect by expending one of their own daily uses of the Geomancy ability, but must use a readied action to do so, similar to how a spellcaster counters enemy spells.

Environmental Adaptation (Su): This supernatural ability grants the Geomancer the ability to automatically adjust to any natural temperature or natural temperature changes in the surrounding area, as well as in water, and also allows the Geomancer to automatically adjust to natural water pressure. In addition, it makes the Geomancer immune to damage from water striking them or crushing them, such as from tidal waves or the physical attacks of water elementals. Lastly, this ability grants the Geomancer Fire Resistance and Cold Resistance each equal to the Geomancer's positive Constitution modifier, protecting them somewhat from unnatural heat and cold.

Earthwalk (Su): This supernatural ability grants the Geomancer the power to potentially move over various kinds of rough terrain without difficulty, and without a trace. The Geomancer is permanently affected as though by a Pass Without Trace spell, which they can activate and deactivate at will.

In addition, the Geomancer can move at unhindered speeds over any kind of terrain that would normally slow them down, and can even move across bodies of water or other liquid without being slowed, levitating an inch above the body of liquid as they move, though the Geomancer can only levitate thusly for one round before falling into the liquid, and can only move across liquids thusly once per minute (equivalent to once per ten rounds); the Geomancer is not protected from the liquids or the environment however, and simply levitates above the current level of the liquid and its waves, if any, though bubbles, spray, heat, sudden splashes, and so on will still reach the Geomancer and can still affect them normally, if they have any special properties (such as the heat of lava or the harmful scathing of bubbling acid). This ability to levitate above bodies of liquid for a round automatically takes effect for the first round that the Geomancer begins to move upon or across the body of liquid, unless the Geomancer wills it not to take effect (such as when the Geomancer wishes to dip a foot in to test the water temperature). While levitating across a body of liquid in this way, the only actions the Geomancer may take are movement-related actions and speech, but no attack actions, spellcasting actions, or manifestations of Geomancies or other spell-like or supernatural abilities.

In addition, the Geomancer can bestow the benefits of Earthwalk upon others by touch for an hour each, though the Geomancer can only extend their Earthwalk benefits to other individuals a total number of times per day equal to their Geomancer level; Geomancers often use this capability to grant their steeds the benefits of Earthwalk, so they can move even more rapidly unhindered by terrain.

Move On Lava (Su): The Geomancer becomes immune to the heat of nonmagical lava after gaining this supernatural ability, and does not suffer damage from natural lava. However, lava conjured up by a spell or other magical ability still harms the Geomancer normally, due to its magical origins. In addition to being immune to natural lava, the Geomancer gains the ability to move across the surface of lava as though it were solid ground, when they so wish.

Swimming Adaptation (Su): Geomancers who gain this Primal Affinity become attuned to the power of water enough to become great swimmers, feeling right at home in the water. Such a Geomancer gains a base swimming speed equal to their normal speed, does not have to make Swim skill checks to swim normally, gains a +8 bonus on Swim checks to perform special actions and to avoid hazards, can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check no matter the circumstances, and can use the run action while swimming as long as they swim in a straight line. This also allows the Geomancer to breathe underwater just like any Aquatic creature, but without the need for gills or special lungs, due to the Geomancer's nature magic. This special ability by itself does not allow the Geomancer to survive the immense pressure or severe cold often encountered in oceans and other bodies of water.

Ex-Geomancers: Geomancers who become non-neutral in alignment lose all Geomancer class abilities as long as they are non-neutral in alignment, and cannot progress further as Geomancers until they return to a neutral alignment.

Geomancer Advancement:
Level...BAB..........Fort...Ref...Will..........Special
1........+0............+0.....+0.....+0..........Geomancy
2........+1............+0.....+0.....+0..........Geomancy
3........+2............+1.....+1.....+1
4........+3............+1.....+1.....+1..........Primal Affinity
5........+3............+1.....+1.....+1..........Geomancy
6........+4............+2.....+2.....+2..........Geomancy
7........+5............+2.....+2.....+2..........Geomancy
8........+6/+1.......+2.....+2.....+2..........Geomancy
9........+6/+1.......+3.....+3.....+3
10......+7/+2........+3.....+3.....+3..........Primal Affinity
11......+8/+3........+3.....+3.....+3..........Geomancy
12......+9/+4........+4.....+4.....+4..........Geomancy
13......+9/+4........+4.....+4.....+4..........Geomancy
14......+10/+5......+4.....+4.....+4..........Geomancy
[/sblock]

Keska

Explorer
I knew the sharp eyes at ENworld would pick out things I'd missed!

Graf said:
You MUST identify what –kind- of power this is supernatural, extraordinary or spell-like. Should probably be spell like.

It is in fact identified as a spell-like ability.

Graf said:
The power needs a range (even if it’s sight which it shouldn’t be).

Oops! Forgot that when I was typing up my notes. The range should be 25ft, plus 5ft every two levels.

Graf said:
Ranged touch attack vs. a square? If there were such a thing it would be a trivial roll at lower levels and impossible to miss at higher levels.
A spell that affects and area has a DC save to resist or avoid it’s damage. A spell that is targeted at an individual only affects that person and you need to hit –their- touch AC, not the touch AC of a nearby immobile object.

Errr.... good point. I meant that you would have to hit the touch AC of everyone in range, but apparently I didn't make that very clear. I really don't want to give up the larger area of geomancy; having actually played the class a bit, it serves to hamper as much as help. But... the way I set up the mechanic is rather awkward. So I've editied it a bit:

Geomancy is a standard action, usable at will. The range of geomancy is 25 feet plus 5 feet every two geomancer levels, and requires a ranged touch attack to strike a target. If the attack hits, it deals 1d6 damage per four geomancer levels to a 15-foot radius burst, centered on the target. Any creature, other than the target, within this radius (five feet around the target on all sides, if the target is a Medium creature) can make a Reflex save to avoid the effect entirely. The DC for this save is 10, plus your Wisdom modifier, plus half your Geomancer level. Any creatures struck by the effect must make another save versus DC 10, plus your Wisdom modifier, plus half your Geomancer level. If the creature fails this save it takes a secondary effect based on the attack used. This secondary effect has a duration of 3 rounds plus your Wisdom modifier, unless otherwise noted. Geomancy’s secondary effects can be dispelled; a Geomancer’s caster level is considered to be his caster level.

Graf said:
Using a geomancy power is a standard action? This needs to be specified.
Frequency of Geomancy? I assume at will but should be specified.

Done and done.

Graf said:
The two handed weapons only thing would have (IMHO natch) to be a vow similar to that of a Druid. It’s difficult to imagine someone who can wield a great sword proficiently but can’t cope with a club.

Nah, I'm going to stick to my guns on this one. I like the flavor it adds to the class. And besides, I find it more unlikely that most characters are equally skilled in a bewildering array of sizes and styles of weaponry.

Graf said:
Caster level? All of your geomancy effects should have a caster level spelled out somewhere (Even if it’s just caster level = levels of geomancer).

Yup, got it.

Graf said:
Too powerful at first level
Practically speaking a character in a normal campaign is going to take Demon Fire first because “indoors” includes a lot of areas in a standard campaign. So you get untyped damage (1d6) that affects close to 10 people with no save and may put them to sleep.
At will.
You’re much better than a first level warlock in a dungeon, inn, castle, etc.

I think my redo of they way the attack is targeted takes care of most of this; generally you're only going catch one, maybe two targets. And a warlock (which I patterened this calss on, by the way) has some madly useful secondary invocations, and the ability to choose what their blast will do by applying other invocations to it. The status affects are those used in Tactics, and I actually softened up Death Sentence quite a bit.

Graf said:
Limit the terrain requirement to status effects… i.e. you always do damage when you invoke geomancy but can only inflict a status effect if you’re on the right terrain..

Eh? You're going to have to clarify this idea for me. As I read it, that's exactly as I have it set up now.

Graf said:
I do think its cool you’re working this out, btw, FF Tactics was a good game.
But you asked for thoughts and these are mine.

Yes, and thank you for giving them, along with with others who've taken the time to look.

Graf

Explorer
Glad to have generally been helpful.

My experience so far with fireballs in an Age of Worms campaign is that "size" isn't much of a hamper even in a tight dungeon. Provided the other characters know you'll be blasting you can use the fireball basically every fight.
With a full sized blast starting at low level I think your character would have the potential to completely dominate the Age of Worms game that I’m in (at least until middle levels).
But if your DM thinks that having a full sized blast from level one works then I have to admit I wouldn’t say no.

Keska said:
Nah, I'm going to stick to my guns on this one. I like the flavor it adds to the class. And besides, I find it more unlikely that most characters are equally skilled in a bewildering array of sizes and styles of weaponry.
I'm inclinded to give you a pass on this just cause it was an original part of the class but I have to admit that I'd give you a hard time as a DM just 'cause the argument doesn't make any sense.

Simple weapons are all simple. Two handed martial weapons include bizarre collection of stuff. They’re all different sizes, they’re all different shapes and every one uses a completely different combat style.

Sample question I'd ask as your DM:
"So your argument is that you've somehow managed to learn to use a Guisarme, a heavy Flail, a greataxe, a greatsword, and a quarterstaff, but you're incapable of using a spear (read: pointy stick)?"
If you’re character has received the level of training that qualifies you for mastery of both the ransuer and the greatclub I find it impossible to imagine you can’t use a club.

I don’t actually but the “softening” of death sentence argument either. Honestly powers that are reasonably balanced in a FF Tactics won’t necessarily be so in an RPG. The statement “I made it weaker than it was in FF Tactics” doesn’t have any kind of meaning in DnD.

The shorter duration of the other powers helps limit their abusability but I just wouldn’t give a lower level character access to death magic.

Anyway, just a minor thought/gripes. Nobody ever agrees on every point.
Hope you have fun with your new class!

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I second the concept of using a "vow" similar to Druids when considering two-handed weapons. A Geomancer may use any weapon, but can only perform Geomancer abilities when wielding a two-handed weapon.

Sure, it doesn't "make sense", but meh. Neither do Monks, or Bards. ;)

Remove ads