Fice-Foot Step question

UltimaGabe

First Post
Forgive my stupidity. It's been a long, long time since I've played 3.5 (moved on the 4e, and recently begun to miss 3.5) and there's one thing I can't seem to recall.

If you take a Standard Action (say, casting a spell) and a non-move Move Action (like drawing a weapon) can you take a free 5-foot step? Or is that only when using a full-round action?

Edit: And, of course, I put a glaring spelling error in the title. FML

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I've never been in a game where it was played any other way than letting you 5 ft step on any turn you didn't take any other form of movement. Indeed, many times a mage might want to 5 ft step before or after drawing a wand (move action) and using it (standard action).

I'll try to find RAW to support that later today if you want, but I have never once had a DM rule it that way, so I'd be shocked if it were a houserule all along.

Oh, and you should be able to edit a thread title. I think you use the thread tools for that.

Herzog

Adventurer
Yes.

You cannot take a 5 foot step in a round you perform any other movement, but move-equivalent actions (like drawing a sword or even getting up from pronde) are allowed.

irdeggman

First Post
From the srd

You can move 5 feet in any round when you don’t perform any other kind of movement. Taking this 5-foot step never provokes an attack of opportunity. You can’t take more than one 5-foot step in a round, and you can’t take a 5-foot step in the same round when you move any distance.
You can take a 5-foot step before, during, or after your other actions in the round.

You can only take a 5-foot-step if your movement isn’t hampered by difficult terrain or darkness. Any creature with a speed of 5 feet or less can’t take a 5-foot step, since moving even 5 feet requires a move action for such a slow creature.

You may not take a 5-foot step using a form of movement for which you do not have a listed speed.

UltimaGabe

First Post
Sweet. Thanks! Like I said, I've been playing 4e for a while, and so the thought of getting a 5-foot step without having to spend an action seems crazy, no matter how many years I spent playing 3.x. Just a little version-confused, I guess!

Dandu

First Post
Sweet. Thanks! Like I said, I've been playing 4e for a while, and so the thought of getting a 5-foot step without having to spend an action seems crazy, no matter how many years I spent playing 3.x. Just a little version-confused, I guess!
Free action.

Remove ads