• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fiction, rules, or setting first in a core book?

In what order do you prefer to see fiction, rules, and setting presented?

• Fiction 1st, Rules 2nd, Setting 3rd.

Votes: 20 9.4%
  • Setting 1st, Fiction 2nd, Rules 3rd.

Votes: 23 10.8%
  • Rules 1st, Setting 2nd, Fiction 3rd.

Votes: 45 21.1%
  • Fiction 1st, Setting 2nd, Rules 3rd.

Votes: 47 22.1%
  • Rules 1st, Fiction 2nd, Setting 3rd.

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • Setting 1st, Rules 2nd, Fiction 3rd.

Votes: 52 24.4%
  • Other (Please Explain)

Votes: 18 8.5%

• Poll closed .

Henry

Autoexreginated
I really dislike long stretches of fiction in any gamebook. It's a feature that turned me off of the World of Darkness books quite strongly.

I don't mind a few paragraphs here and there, but it really slows down the presentation of a game and setting for me.

Starglim

Explorer
diaglo said:
check out Book of Ebon Bindings by M.A.R. Barker

Mm, as always, you have to make an exception for Tekumel. Barker has a style and concept of game-book design all his own.

Call of Cthulhu 5.5 and some of its supplements (Dunwich, Arkham, Kingsport) provide a good model, I feel. The core rulebook has a portrait of H. P. Lovecraft on the first page (art and maps are a couple of things that you haven't mentioned) then reprints "The Call of Cthulhu" as the first chapter. From there on, it's interspersed rules and setting information with fiction as paragraph-long quotes only.

sniffles

First Post
I really don't care to see much fiction in a setting/rules book. But if there is some, I would prefer to see it in small sections interspersed throughout the book to illustrate particular features of the setting.

edemaitre

Explorer
Core RPG rulebook section order

I prefer to read about the overall setting first, then learn how to create characters for that setting, then see examples of such characters in action... It seems the most logical order to me, but relatively few books follow it. The rules-first ranking also makes sense, since that would make them easier to find when quickly referring to a book.

Glyfair

Explorer
I'd say it depends on what you think is the hook that well get people into the book. That should be first (or at least, after a quick introduction). After that, you should hit the rules (unless that's your hook).

If you think the atmosphere is what will draw people into the game, start with some brief fiction. If you think the rules are innovative and will draw people in, then lead with the rules. If you think the setting will draw people in, start with an introduction to the setting.

Torm

Explorer
I said Other. Rules first, Setting second, and any fiction ripped apart with excerpts from it put in sidebars next to the rules or setting content they illustrate would be my preference. Then, make the entire fiction available as a bonus web content - that lets those who want to read it after getting the book do so, and provides something you can give for free to whet the appetite of potential buyers. :)

Nyaricus

First Post
I like Setting Info to be predominant in any book - it has to have flavour all it's own to intrest me. I like Tolkien-esque stuff, so if i notice some of that coming off, i will like it more, unless it is terribly written.

Rules come next. I need to know if there are any changes to standard d20, and determine how that affects the charcerter i or my players will be making. New races, classes, feats, spells and such would be high on my 'to see' list. Of course, these will tie in with the campaign feel, so it's a give and take thing with that stuff.

Fiction, i could care less for. If i want fiction, i will buy a book, as someone aptly put. Give me a bit, perhaps a papagraph or two in th beginning of each chapter and interspered as sidebars and such, perhaps have a few creation myths of something in chapters dealing with the nature of the world, but for the gods' sake, don't drown me in text that i will have no use for.

Iron Heroes, as an example, was very enjoyable for me. It gave me the impression of a low magic campaign setting, but gave me MANY rules to create a charcter in that sort of setting. I would have to say it was more Rules (1), Campaign (2), Fiction (3), but i liked it. It helps that ther is some amazing artwork in that book; i would have to say that is the one thing this survey is missing.

Remove ads