• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Pants said:
Yeah, I knew about the different 'Abysses.' Didn't know about Eyewings being native to DL though...

They could still easily fit in the Core DnD cosmology though...

i first saw them in Monstrous Compendium 4: Dragonlance. but yes, they can and do fit in with core D&D.

BTW, did you see where i plugged your thread earlier in one of my posts? :)

BOZ said:

More complete list of monsters by plane: http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=387276

The Necromancer Games forum thing is interesting. For example, its interpretation of Gresil is inspired by my page, which is in turn heavily inspired by Grodog's page, sort of combined with stuff on the Mimir (I can't remember why I put Gresil in Falserapture, but I remember being in love with the idea). The version of Obox-Ob is mostly from mine, which is partly from Grodog and partly from a post by Leo Wilheim on the Planescape mailing list, and partly from my own imagination. The Soneillon thing is partly from the lilim demons in the Netbook of Witches and Warlocks, partly from Grodog, and the author on those boards added more to the description. J'sald Xerix is from the Netbook of the Abyss. Zzyczesiya is named in Faces of Evil and detailed by me, with inspiration from the Infernus netbook. The Knight Errant is from Faces of Evil. Lots of the lords are from Armies of the Abyss or Mongoose's Slayer's Guide to Demons (which is where the Nameless Ones come from). Ushablator was named by Gary Gygax and first detailed here. Eblis' description is partially based on that of Azazel in Neil Gaiman's Sandman series - the name Nakdar Nakoul comes from an Arabic phrase meaning "I can eat glass; it does not hurt me," so I think it's really funny that someone repeated that, apparently not knowing its goofy origins. It was back when I didn't know what the Muslim Hell was supposed to be called, so I used a random Arabic phrase. Djahannam is the proper name of the Muslim Hell. Brian Biddick, on the Planescape list (whose influence runs throughout), was the first one to assign Munkir and Nekir to Woeful Escarond. They shouldn't be the rulers of the layer, though - the Marquesse of Loss, described in Hellbound, is more important there. Mandrillagon comes from the Gord novels, as does a lot of the descriptions of Orcus, Demogorgon, Graz'zt, Verin, etc. Zalintar, mentioned in Yeenoghu's description, is from the old planescape.com site, now long since extinct but findable at archive.org. There's quite a lot from the Netbook of Demons, too.

Last edited:

Shemeska

Adventurer
BOZ said:
Clerics Must be Deity-Bound (#85): The suggestion is made that Anubis probably hates Orcus, most likely due to portfolio conflicts.

Though given that Anubis shed his divinity to become the Guardian of Dead Gods, his status probably precludes him holding any sort of grudge. He's a bit concerned about different things entirely now. :)

Was Anubis as Guardian of Dead Gods something prior to 2e / Planescape at all? Or did that develop in Planescape without previous hints?

Imruphel

First Post
Erik Mona said:
We're also still writing, so suggestions are very helpful.

--Erik

Well, one thing that has puzzled me since 2E is this: why are tanar'ri immune to electricity?

A related question: why are balors (which, finally!, in 3.5E became immune to fire) surrounded by flames rather than electricity when electricity would make more sense in that it would inflict full damage on their primary foes, the baatezu?

I realise the second questions lies in the balor being a moderately disguised balrog but it might be interesting to see the cover lifted on these design decisions.

Anyway, an explanation of this might make for an interesting piece of "ecology".

Shemeska said:
Was Anubis as Guardian of Dead Gods something prior to 2e / Planescape at all? Or did that develop in Planescape without previous hints?

In Planescape, without previous hints. Yes.

Before Planescape, there was nothing about what happened to gods after they died.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
yep, gone was gone. Anubis' responsibility was to the souls of the dead. thus, it would be understandable that Orcus, a major lord of the undead, would really irk him.

Pants said:
Originally Posted by BigFreekinGoblinoid
No - ebay has copies going for upwards of $200 occasionally. You may find one cheaper by posting a wanted thread in the trading/classified forums here.

Well, guess I won't be picking that up. :(

There is one on Ebay right now with a low price (I know, because I've got the high bid on it currently). :cool:

ruleslawyer

Shemeska said:
Though given that Anubis shed his divinity to become the Guardian of Dead Gods, his status probably precludes him holding any sort of grudge. He's a bit concerned about different things entirely now. :)

More specifically, it showed up in A Guide to the Astral Plane (sans previous hints).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads